Scratch built beam bridge

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
To improve the basic look of a dark corner raised turning circle, I had a bash at scratch building a simple beam bridge.

The materials were plastic DIY angle, Midwest Products white styrene sheet (0.04 &0.06"), a few nuts and bolts and assorted tools. Used 4 sheets (11 x 7.6"), 1 length (2.5m) of each angle and a couple of packs of nuts & bolts, total cost ca. £20.

Here's what it looks like in the 'white', together with the materials, and in it's approximate final position:

beam-bridge-scratchbuild.jpg

Current track supports will be disguised appropriately and the edging installed on the rest of the raised section. Unsure of the final colour at the moment but the next job will be application of the grey plastic undercoat.

Reactions: 2 users

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Railways often painted their bridges with Micaceous Iron Oxide paint. It is a dull mid to dark grey with a very slightly silver touch.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
We like bridges we do...

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Oh no, Mike is going to start singing Simon & Garfunkel :eek:

Seriously nice bridge though. :clap:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Quick update on completed scratch built bridge under test.

new-bridge-test.jpg

Silver came out a bit bright and textured grey concrete support structures need a bit of weathering, otherwise works well and accommodates curve section at the start of the overhead loop quite well.

Surprising what the 99-6001 will pull up a 1;20 gradient! Appears to be "36 axles" in the GSC way of measurement, although my intent was to confirm the maximum train length accommodated within the loop isolation section.

Reactions: 4 users

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
We do like bridges, and this one is a particularly nice example. If it was mine I'd turn it out in red oxide, but this looks too nice for that treatment; maybe dark grey or satin black?

Andrew Foster

Registered
2 Jul 2010
Cambridge, Ontario
gnomengineers.com
Best answers
Country flag
Haven't been here for a while - got some catching up to do! A customer wanted a 'silver' painted bridge in the style sometimes seen in the western USA, and it turned out to be harder than we thought. Using a spray can, it didn't look right at all - too coarse and shiny a finish. The cure turned was to give it a coat of Testor's Dullcote over the silver, and then it looked just right, making it a little more grey than silver.

Andrew

Reactions: 1 user

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Update. It’s lost it’s shine to mature to a fairly acceptable zinc grey.

82840B54-32E0-4AEA-B4BE-AF403F9161E7.jpeg