Building an I beam or Plate Girder Bridge

Pipalya

White Pass, SAR (South Australian Railways)
16 Jun 2010
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I had been looking at some fantastic girder bridges in the magazines but they were so expensive so I thought I might try to make my own.
I ended up buying some 6mm square aluminium fencing post, some slightly wider aluminium door edging, styrene strip .060 x .188" and polypropylene plastic sheet.

1d574951e1db41fe8fd4473667b84837.jpg

I screwed lengths of the door strip to opposite sides of the square tube. The overlap seen in the pic. provides a channel which holds the rectangles of plastic sheet which can be slid in from the ends.

3350d175b7464f84bbe21cdf670d222c.jpg

The plastic sheet is cut into rectangles and then placed in the jig. A tap of a hammer on the embossing tool makes a dent in the sheet looking like a rivet head.

2e0c9ba43d4e488ea8d27644f418be69.jpg

Styrene strips space each sheet to complete the sides of the girder bridge.

74abd2abdc6945f1930aa9853471f546.jpg

Painted and in place it looks OK. From the side it represents a plate girder bridge, but leaving out the embellishments and adding others could well become a deck girder or I beam?

f033a0f6125140ca8e9112769b6a4e0d.jpg

A mistake was evident. I did not need to use the adhesive on the sheet which created some bubbling caused by air pockets caught in the adhesive pushing out the polypropylene sheet. It was a hot day when installed!
The shorter bridge did not have the sheets glued to the aluminium base. They did not bubble but held fast by the styrene strip and the grooves in the aluminium door strip. Cost about $40 Australian.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Nice :clap::clap: :D

Round n Round

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Lancashire
Best answers
I like it :clap::clap::clap:

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
what a marvelous layout..wicked...neat!!!..so what type of materails did u use for the truss bridge on yr photo?....metal?.....i was supposed to make one instead of my own scatcbuilting a truss platt bridges tht it damaged so need re-make one like metal,,,,,,u are very clever!!!!!!!!

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
steven large said:
so what type of materails did u use for the truss bridge on yr photo?....metal

Looks like Meccano to me. Re-painted of course.

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
bobg said:
steven large said:
so what type of materails did u use for the truss bridge on yr photo?....metal

Looks like Meccano to me. Re-painted of course.
Don't they make Meccano in France now? Caen eau du Meque ?

Sounds like place. I spose we'd call it Meque Caen eau tho....

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
i think im not sure about this materail on the bridges coz i have seen this stuffs before so it cud be plastic?..like tiles trims?....what do u think?
so i will find on ebay....but this truss platt bridge are nice..so can u take a full shots of it pls mate as i and another members wud loves to oo it.. thks.

Pipalya

White Pass, SAR (South Australian Railways)
16 Jun 2010
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
steven large said:
i think im not sure about this materail on the bridges coz i have seen this stuffs before so it cud be plastic?..like tiles trims?....what do u think?
so i will find on ebay....but this truss platt bridge are nice..so can u take a full shots of it pls mate as i and another members wud loves to oo it.. thks.

Its Meccano. Have a look at the following link...
http://www.gscalecentral.net/m87670