dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think my original suggestion of an i side framed loco with outside valve gear on flycranks would be the easiest solution, lack of spokes on wheels then becomes irrelevant.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Possibly ETS might provide. A 32mm gauge View attachment 267282 O-0-4-0 with valve gear etc?
[/QUOTE]
Sorry about this but......what is that? It looks so different to anything I seen

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It's a German shunter I think. It always catches my eye being so unusual.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
TBH, I was thinking of the likes of IP Engineering or GRS, rather than butchering a $500 model...
Tac,

Thanks for the suggestion but IP Eng don't do anything with coupling rods. GRS have just one with inside (ie. invisible) valve gear which I did think about modifying to add Walshearts but it is outside framed and nothing like my prototype.

Thanks to everyone else for the ready-to-run suggestions but they are all a lot of money for something which will need major modification.

So I think I will go with 3D printing and the Slaters wheels .... I won't be watching much evening TV for a while.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Had a Eureka moment today. I was in the shed doing some maintenance on my Roundhouse Katie having a mental debate about how I would 3D print a Walshearts gear which ran smoothly and lasted several years. Then it hit me like a thunderbolt! The solution was right in front of me. Roundhouse sell spare sets of Walshearts Gear for their live steam locos and I can see no reason why they would not work on an electric loco. So, when they re-open, my order will be on its way.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Slight thread drift, but while I was looking for a movie of a Glaskasten, I found this gem from 2014 - a collection of Br 01 Pacific express locos from The Netherlands and Germany, and a P8 to lighten things up a bit - what a collection!!!

Back to garden railways - this is my Br01 - slightly smaller, but still a real live steamer!

1590919929018.png
1590920105989.png
1590920144711.png

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Aha!!! I've found a bunch of LGB Walschaert gear bits off an older 2-6-2 project I had... Do you want them or don't?

1590925329524.png

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Had a Eureka moment today. I was in the shed doing some maintenance on my Roundhouse Katie having a mental debate about how I would 3D print a Walshearts gear which ran smoothly and lasted several years. Then it hit me like a thunderbolt! The solution was right in front of me. Roundhouse sell spare sets of Walshearts Gear for their live steam locos and I can see no reason why they would not work on an electric loco. So, when they re-open, my order will be on its way.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

They are expensive.

Mine are free.

You choose.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
As for the 'Glaskasten', it was anything BUT a mere 'shunting locomotive -

The Class PtL 2/2 locomotives of the Royal Bavarian State Railways (Königlich Bayerische Staatseisenbahn) were light and very compact superheated steam locomotives for operation on Bavarian branch lines (known generally as Lokalbahnen). There were three types in total, of which two were transferred to the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft as Class 98.3 tank locomotives and even survived to join the Deutsche Bundesbahn fleet after the Second World War.

Common to all the variants was the B axle arrangement (European or UIC classification) or 0-4-0 (Whyte notation), the semi-automatic, gravity-feed firing that enabled one-man operation, and platforms with guard rails, front and rear, that enabled safe access to the coaches. The locomotives had a large driver's cab with 3 windows per side that surrounded the entire locomotive boiler as far as the smokebox. This unique feature earned it the nickname Glaskasten ("glass box") or, in Franconia, Glas-Chaise ("glass carriage").

Very interesting tac. Those smarty Germans again. :nod:
Tell me. Do you know why your comments are peppered with hyperlinks? I'm assuming you didn't do that yourself. Just wondering... :think:

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting tac. Those smarty Germans again. :nod:
Tell me. Do you know why your comments are peppered with hyperlinks? I'm assuming you didn't do that yourself. Just wondering... :think:

Yes, they are quotes taken directly from wikipedia. I've now removed the offending posts. I offer the suggestion that you do the same.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Tac,

I found a side view photo of that loco and did some scaling. It would need a fair bit of hacking around the Walshearts gear for three axles to make them work for two axles so thanks very much for the offer but I think I will stick with the Roundhouse 0-4-0 gear.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
I'm not sure if you might have come across it before but I think Accucraft make a model of a very similar Deauville prototype. It was a little more recognisable from the second set of pitures that were put up.

0-4-0 Decauville

I don't know what Accucraft are like for spares, but might be worth seeing if they could supply a set of valve gear, maybe even wheels, separately?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure if you might have come across it before but I think Accucraft make a model of a very similar Deauville prototype. It was a little more recognisable from the second set of pitures that were put up.

0-4-0 Decauville

I don't know what Accucraft are like for spares, but might be worth seeing if they could supply a set of valve gear, maybe even wheels, separately?

The Accucraft Decauville model is a very likely candidate, but is not a common model here in UK. However, to start off, try calling Graham Langer, boss of Accucraft UK. He is VERY helpish, from a lot of personal experience. Tell him that what you REALLY want is a complete chassis less all the steam bits, however, think £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££........

The man actually behind the is Accucraft's man in Germany, Lorenz Schug of MBV Schug in Detzem.

MBV Schug
Detzem, Germany
www.accucraft.de
info@accucraft.de

Tel: +49 6507-802326

He might be able to be able to help you. If your German is rusty, he speaks very good English. You could also try Bram Hengeveld in The Netherlands - http://exclusivemodels.nl. He also speaks very good English, although I annoy the socks of him by using Afrikaans.

If you DO get in touch with Bram, tell him I sent you. :)

PS - Égide Walschaert, a Belgian engineer, must be rotating in his grave to see his name mangled like that. It's like spelling Oliver Bullied, in stead of Bulleid.

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
TBH, I was thinking of the likes of IP Engineering or GRS, rather than butchering a $500 model...
Sadly GRS have thinned down their catalogue rather drastically - you used to be able to buy many of the bits from their kits individually - I used the valve gear from their L&B 2-6-2 on my scratchbuilt 2-6-2 with the same Slater's wheels.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
I've often wondered about using Roundhouse parts - slightly off-piste, but I wondered about a Silver Lady Anne chassis, which would be sprung, and which could then be included in a scratchbuilt, electric powered loco :think::think:

My scratchbuilt chassis is too rigid to get good power to the track, and a sprung chassis would be an answer (not that I'm thinking of re-building the loco ........................... )

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure about 16mm but I did this using parts from everything but sadly it is 45mm but i'm sure you can achieve the same results with 16, perhaps some 1/32 marklin parts

Attachments

• old joe done lfr-side.jpg
    old joe done lfr-side.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 0

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure about 16mm but I did this using parts from everything but sadly it is 45mm but i'm sure you can achieve the same results with 16, perhaps some 1/32 marklin parts

Good luck getting ANY parts out of Marklin.

My £2500 live-steam Marklin loco is now a £2500 paper weight until I can find somebody to custom-make a few parts. I first found out there were no spares at all while it was still in production and being sold all over Europe.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Tac, I know getting LGB here in the states is non existent but though 1/32 in Europe would be available, sad to hear that they don't mind selling new but after that you're screwed

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Do Roundhouse do insulated wheelsets, in both 32mm and 45mm?
OR,
Are all their chassis gauge-adjustable?

I believe some live-steam are only on insulated wheelsets in the larger gauge?

PhilP.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Do Roundhouse do insulated wheelsets, in both 32mm and 45mm?
OR,
Are all their chassis gauge-adjustable?

I believe some live-steam are only on insulated wheelsets in the larger gauge?

PhilP.
Yes they are the same wheels as used on outside framed locomotives. And they do convert to 32mm, though not since I fitted SloMo’s tommy 2 RH 0–4–0’s. things are somewhat different on their inside framed locs, not even sure if they offer any of these as kits. They are certainly not gauge swoppable. But can be ordered to the gauge you want in most cases I believe.