David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Very neat and thought out. I assume the platforms built in to the parapets are for the placement of signalling?

David

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
very neat bit of woodwork. With rain and frost movement the ballast will get under the sleepers and lift the track up on top but its not really a problem for running.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nicely done Dave....

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Very neat and thought out. I assume the platforms built in to the parapets are for the placement of signalling?

David
Thanks David. Yes the "outcrops" are there for point motors and signal bases.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good! Very neat from wireing to track work. I like the curious flat crossing near the hatch door.....

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good! Very neat from wireing to track work. I like the curious flat crossing near the hatch door.....
Thanks Duncan. The crossing is there for "future expansion". In the back of my mind is a rack and pinion with overhead line extension but a small windfall is required before that could become reality. It's good to dream though... :)

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thinking of extending already, like it. I managed to keep mine as planned for 7 months before starting to extend......

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Another project milestone - first running of a loco outdoors!

IMG_0497_r.JPG

I have wired up one section of track with three current detection sections including a goods siding and point motor with direction detection, and it all worked first time! Somewhat surprised because I was "wiring blind" in that I was wiring to junction boxes at the end of a pre-laid buried conduit with 11 colour coded wires inside. With my previous indoor OO layouts I could normally wire direct from the track to the DCC command station or from point motor to accessory decoder, but with outdoor layouts (even one of this modest size) that's not really an option. Hence the surprise. Planning is everything. :)

Reactions: 1 users

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good!

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Have finally completed the wiring of track, points and signals. I have attached a short video of my sound fitted BR80 chugging along with a short carriage, past some of the signals and signal box. Apologies for the quality of the video from a hand held camera phone.
Next step is to connect up to computer using Rocrail

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I have set up full computerised control using Rocrail. Here's a short video of a running session in the brief glimpse of what summer could be last weekend.
This is Rocrail running in "gold fish bowl" mode where it organises random movements of the locos you select, but following all the directions, signals and permissions defined in the layout.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting. It shows what can be achieved in a small area but with plenty of skill and ability.

Sarah Winfield

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So, seeing as this thread has surfaced, and Dave is still active on here..
How about an up to date photo, or two, to show how the railway has mellowed? :):nod::nod:

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the comments S Sarah Winfield .
PhilP PhilP It has aged gracefully. I will add a picture when it stops raining. The option to extend beyond the 90 degree crossing has not been taken up yet. I have simplified it by removing all the point motors and replacing with sprung points for the passing loop, and manual switch for the siding, and I would say to anyone starting keep it simple.

As I have said before on here and to all my visitors, I use my indoor layout 20-30 times more than the outdoor, mainly because of the weather and convenience. The outdoor layout is used mostly for visitors and particularly children, when Thomas, Toby and Clarabel make their appearances.

If the UK was 10 degrees warmer and 50 % dryer I'd be outside all the time, but no amount of global warming is going to make that happen in my lifetime! :)