idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Not the most appropriate forum for this but there doesn't seem to be a forum for publications.

I found this like in a Wikipedia article (in German) on Nebenbahn (secondary railways).

Walter Ledig, Ferdinand Ulbricht: Die Sekundär-Eisenbahnen des Königreichs Sachsen, Berlin 1887
Die Sekundär-Eisenbahnen des Königreichs Sachsen

This contains a link to the whole book-->
http://digital.slub-dresden.de/fileadmin/data/318894114/318894114_tif/jpegs/318894114.pdf

It is a PDF (Google digitization) of a book, about 100 pages, from 1887 which describes the creation of the Saxony narrow gauge railways. I don't understand much of it but it contains lots of interesting old maps of every original line, including elevations, some scale drawings of station buildings, line layouts (gleisplan), locos (including the original Saxon 2K 0-4-4-0 "Fairlie"), rolling stocking including 2 axle and 4 axle passenger cars, early rollbocks, and a crane for lifting standard gauge wagons off the narrow gauge rollbocks. There seems to be tables of costings of every item of the build of the lines and projections(or actuals?) of revenue streams. Won't appeal to many of you but if you have an interest in Saxony narrow gauge then it is worth a browse, showing the kind of detail you need to build a real railway.

Reactions: 2 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent find, many thanks for posting the link - just downloaded the PDF! :)

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I downloaded it to iBooks on my iPad. The Big all Sachen Map is a pretty poor quality Scan which is a shame, but the individual line Maps are very good and including Grade Diagrams which is a thing that is often missing in books.

Hope you are reading this Doug.

Anyone who looks at the Larger Map of the Zittau and has visited may be a little confused by this. The map only shows the line to Reichenau and not the ones to Oybin and Jonsdorf via Bertsdorf. That is because I believe the line to Reichenau was cut probably during or after WW2 when the line became part of Poland. Just before you pass under the large Viaduct takes the line to Liberec on the way to Bertsdorf, if you know where to look you can make out the old formation. Thus this book would have pre dated the build of the lines out via Bertsdorf. Very interesting, many many thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, the Zittau line to Markersdorf was opened in 1884, before this book was published.
The line from Zittau to Bertsdorf and beyond was opened in 1890, just after the book was published.
Subsequently the line Zittau to Markersdorf was closed at the end of WW II but the rest of the line remains as the Zittauer Schmalspurbahn.
The book also predates the Saxon IIK neu (0-6-6-0T) and IIIK (0-6-2T) but only just.