Saxon Meyer valve gear

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Hi I appear to have bent the rod going into the cyclinder. a is the plastic gear a push fit? b as it is plastic can I straight it in warm water? or is there another way Les

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i dont have an SM
but 
i would try and remove the assembly if possible-
then ever so gently
see if you can gently bend it with fingers-

if you determine it to be plastic

i would try warm water, not hot to start

i might let it relax, ever so slowly, back toward its original shape

i would be wary of either brittle plastic or metal-which could break altogether 

sorry to hear this
the hopeful part is that if it slipped out during a run -hopefully it wasnt jammed too hard 

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
LES

It should be pretty easy too straighten the piston rod it is plastic and should easily be straightened with the aid of a little hot water!,

As far as I can remember the piston rod just enters the cylinder and thats it!!

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Morning Steve thats what it does, I will leave Kieth to have a go after he has finished the the Eist thank you all for your help Les

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Hi Les

On my first Saxon some years back when they first came out one of the valve gear rods broke!!

It was my fault, a big stone had rolled near the track which I did not see and the loco managed to jam itself as it went by it!
At the time they could not supply spares so I used araldite to repair it and it worked very well, went on to do quite a bit of running.

Trainman

All narrow gauge and industrial railways,
26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
Same happened to a mate of mine. His valve gear hit some worm mounds and snapped the rigging. He ended up making new ones from brass. Still working ok. One happened then another later. LBG couldn't help with spares either. Good luck- maybe Model Land in Germany can help if things do go pear shaped:crying:. Just helps to have a back up sometimes. Good luck.

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Hi Steve as you know my track goes into the petrified forest, gods knows what is in there Les