Saving an LGB 2095

21 Jun 2019
Stoke
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

I have one of the older LGB 2095 Bo-Bo locos that at some point in it's life was converted rather poorly to battery power (which no longer works). Obviously the loco no longer has any form of circuit board inside.

I'm after a way of either recovering the loco back to either analogue power or would even be happy having it properly converted to battery power. I've contacted GRS but their quote was well over the price of the loco to begin with.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Matt

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
You could just simply link the wiring for the pick up skates and wheels, to the motor, but I would suggest fitting a Massoth XL decoder, so that you could use it on either analogue or digital power.

One of our forumites has converted 2095, so that it runs on either battery or track power....

Last edited:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if it's the one I sold many years ago at a train meet in Gilbertsville ?.....:rofl:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
You could just simply link the wiring for the pick up skates and wheels, to the motor, but I would suggest fitting a Massoth L decoder, so that you could use it on either analogue or digital power.

One of our forumites has converted 2095, so that it runs on either battery or track power....

I was going to link to my thread, but Gizzy's already done so! If you are thinking of fitting a decoder, then an L won't be up to the job - they are for single-motor locos; you'd need an XL for the twin-motor 2095.

If you have any specific questions on how I did mine that are not covered in the thread, please ask and I'll try to help.

When you say it's an "older" version, how old are we talking about? Does it have clamshell or sandwich motor blocks, and metal or plastic crank rods?

Jon.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
How bad is the conversion? I’ve converted mine and the size of it makes it easy, ive even re-used the copper busbar strips inside the loco.

Post a picture of the inside of the loco, and maybe the motor block to see what the previous owner has done

Dan

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

I have one of the older LGB 2095 Bo-Bo locos that at some point in it's life was converted rather poorly to battery power (which no longer works). Obviously the loco no longer has any form of circuit board inside.

I'm after a way of either recovering the loco back to either analogue power or would even be happy having it properly converted to battery power. I've contacted GRS but their quote was well over the price of the loco to begin with.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Matt

Definitely xl decoder route for me as it would add value to the loco should you come to sell it...............:)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Adding (back) a decoder, and track-power, depends very much on what was removed from the 'blocks when it was converted.

If you do not have skates, carbon brushes, and the 'bits' for inside the blocks, then it could get quite expensive, quite quickly.. :nerd:

Next question (it being an old model) what state are the wheels in? - If they are through the plating, another cost, in going back to track-power..

As said:
Post some pictures of the underside of the bogies.
Post a picture, or two, of the 'guts'..

It may just need a new set of batteries?

PhilP.

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Converting to R/C battery power would be a cheap and efficient way to get it up and running again, all my Playmobil locos are 2.4Ghz R/C now using cheap aircraft parts and a small R/C car ESC as there is plenty of space to put them inside. The advantage of using a 6 channel R/X T/X combo means you can have lots of channels spare for lights or other functions too. Here is the PM Diesel I converted to 'proper' RC minus the shell.
Feel free to drop me a message if you are interested in how to do it or possibly if you would like me to convert your loco for you. I'd happily do it for the cost of the parts which is about £50-60 from memory.

104041_1088e2667ec40c20090286d9e5b1b480.jpg

21 Jun 2019
Stoke
Best answers
Country flag
Converting to R/C battery power would be a cheap and efficient way to get it up and running again, all my Playmobil locos are 2.4Ghz R/C now using cheap aircraft parts and a small R/C car ESC as there is plenty of space to put them inside. The advantage of using a 6 channel R/X T/X combo means you can have lots of channels spare for lights or other functions too. Here is the PM Diesel I converted to 'proper' RC minus the shell.
Feel free to drop me a message if you are interested in how to do it or possibly if you would like me to convert your loco for you. I'd happily do it for the cost of the parts which is about £50-60 from memory.

104041_1088e2667ec40c20090286d9e5b1b480.jpg
Thanks everyone.

From what I remember the loco had all the wheel contacts and skates removed to isolate it from the track power. I also think that converting to battery power would probably be the best solution to keep the costs more reasonable.

I will be in touch in due course Rich to have a chat about it...

Reactions: 1 user