Santa arrives early.......

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
...... With a BRB (Big Red Box)!

Of course, it had to be opened to check it had travelled OK and that it all worked..... ;)

Via German eBay, one of the first two that popped up just before the weekend (obviously, the cheaper of the two that were on offer - 1620 Euros, which worked out at about £1425 before shipping and currency conversion charges). I didn't mention it on here earlier because I didn't want to jinx things before it arrived safely!

Only tested on analogue so far - seems to work nicely, sound is good with a very nice "bark" to the chuff - testing on DCC (Massoth) to follow later. This is my first MFX-chipped loco, so we will see whether all the advice about changing the loco address works....

First, the obligatory BRB pic...... ;)

VIk box.jpeg

"Open the box!"

VIk box open.jpeg

The "extra" bits - bag of the usual coupler parts, TWO crew (which will probably be replaced with Preiser ones and the LGB guys consigned to the spare figs box) and a bag of extra detail bits to be added....

VIk parts.jpeg

Out on the bench.....

VIk on bench.jpeg

On the track, under analogue test.....

VIk test1.jpeg

One interesting random snippet - when placed on the track and the analogue controller knob turned for the first time, sod all happened; once my heart rate was back to normal, I turned the controller a second time and the loco came to life! I think the MFX decoder was "thinking about" the power it had just been fed, and then decided that it was being given analogue so shifted into that mode.
Hopefully when I put it on a Massoth-powered track it will do something similar and shift into DCC mode...

Expensive? Yes, unquestionably, especially for a plastic loco. This is the second-largest price I've paid for a loco after my secondhand LGB/Aster Wurttemburg Mallet (which is, of course, all metal). But I know that many on here have paid that and much more for a Live Steamer, and I could have spent much more on fags and booze (or expensive cars and/or wimmin) and have nothing to show for it except maybe a nasty disease or two (from the booze and cigs, of course). This way, when I do pop my clogs then at least the Memsahib can get some of the money back.... :rofl:

Jon.

Reactions: 6 users

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
...... With a BRB (Big Red Box)!

Of course, it had to be opened to check it had travelled OK and that it all worked..... ;)

Via German eBay, one of the first two that popped up just before the weekend (obviously, the cheaper of the two that were on offer - 1620 Euros, which worked out at about £1425 before shipping and currency conversion charges). I didn't mention it on here earlier because I didn't want to jinx things before it arrived safely!

Only tested on analogue so far - seems to work nicely, sound is good with a very nice "bark" to the chuff - testing on DCC (Massoth) to follow later. This is my first MFX-chipped loco, so we will see whether all the advice about changing the loco address works....

First, the obligatory BRB pic...... ;)

View attachment 230681

"Open the box!"

View attachment 230682

The "extra" bits - bag of the usual coupler parts, TWO crew (which will probably be replaced with Preiser ones and the LGB guys consigned to the spare figs box) and a bag of extra detail bits to be added....

View attachment 230684

Out on the bench.....

View attachment 230683

On the track, under analogue test.....

View attachment 230685

One interesting random snippet - when placed on the track and the analogue controller knob turned for the first time, sod all happened; once my heart rate was back to normal, I turned the controller a second time and the loco came to life! I think the MFX decoder was "thinking about" the power it had just been fed, and then decided that it was being given analogue so shifted into that mode.
Hopefully when I put it on a Massoth-powered track it will do something similar and shift into DCC mode...

Expensive? Yes, unquestionably, especially for a plastic loco. This is the second-largest price I've paid for a loco after my secondhand LGB/Aster Wurttemburg Mallet (which is, of course, all metal). But I know that many on here have paid that and much more for a Live Steamer, and I could have spent much more on fags and booze (or expensive cars and/or wimmin) and have nothing to show for it except maybe a nasty disease or two (from the booze and cigs, of course). This way, when I do pop my clogs then at least the Memsahib can get some of the money back.... :rofl:

Jon.
Looks very nice. Do let me know how many sound and light functions it has - 32?

Martin

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Looks very nice. I am with your argument about it being an investment which you can enjoy now. Let us know how you get on under DCC, also how the smoke generator performs, I had heard it is supposed to be synced to wheels.

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Enjoy.....:party:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
So you're going to wrap it up again and put it under the tree ;););)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Looks very nice. I am with your argument about it being an investment which you can enjoy now. Let us know how you get on under DCC, also how the smoke generator performs, I had heard it is supposed to be synced to wheels.

It not only has wheel-synched smoke, apparently it has the "cylinder smoke" system as well (like the latest version of the Harzbulle 2-10-2 that LGB released this year - anybody here got one of those yet?) - I haven't tried it out yet, but turning the loco over reveals two clear silicone tubes leading to outlets by the cylinders.....

Will report back (with pics) on how well it runs on Massoth power.

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Looks very nice. Do let me know how many sound and light functions it has - 32?

Martin

I'm not sure - a table in the instruction booklet lists 16 "controllable" functions including sounds, lights, smoke on/off etc, but I don't know if this is an exhaustive list - it's in the section about driving the loco on an MTS system, so it may be only the list of functions that can be accessed by an MTSIII handset - the MFX controller may allow you to access more....

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely. never smoked myself, but have you seen the price recently - nearly ten quid a packet!

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure - a table in the instruction booklet lists 16 "controllable" functions including sounds, lights, smoke on/off etc, but I don't know if this is an exhaustive list - it's in the section about driving the loco on an MTS system, so it may be only the list of functions that can be accessed by an MTSIII handset - the MFX controller may allow you to access more....

Jon.
Thanks Jon

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely. never smoked myself, but have you seen the price recently - nearly ten quid a packet!
So instead of smoking a packet a week, you could have an 0-10-0 in just under three years.

If you gave up alcohol as well. you'd be a shivering wreck, unable to place it on the track or adjust the controller :mask::mask::mask:

Reactions: 1 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Well yes, but the few people I know who still smoke seem to do about a packet a day. That's a 0-10-0 by April!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
A nice little vid from FGB (Frank's Garten Bahn) that demonstrates most of the light and sound effects, plus the running of the articulated chassis through LGB points:

Jon.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
These models do hold their value well, they're a far better investment than most cars. Mind you they'd never fit so well in a pint pot or taste as good as Ghost Ship!;)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
First tests under DCC appear successful...... haven't yet tried the smoke, but the running and sound functions all seem to be good. The sound is superb, full marks to M/LGB on that.

On Massoth control, both the long whistle (F1) and bell (F3) are "latching" sounds, that is after the first button press they continue to sound until pressed again - which is quite nice, as you can sound the whistle or bell for as long as you want (or until the neighbours start throwing things...) rather than just a pre-programmed length of time.

One little thing to note - if you're going to be testing it on a rolling road, you do really need a full FIVE sets of test rollers - because of the chassis articulation and the universal joints used to permit chassis movement and synchronise the two motors, if you leave the middle wheelset unsupported it really doesn't like it very much.... it's OK for a very brief test, but I feel a long running-in period with the centre wheelset "hanging" could be less than good for the mechanism. As I only have 4 roller sets, I eventually positioned them under the first, second, third and fifth axles - which is still not perfect, but seems slightly less problematic than leaving the third set floating. Until i can get a fifth Massoth roller unit, I think that most of the running-in will be round a loop of actual track rather than on the rollers.

Jon.

Reactions: 3 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
A bit more testing, including filling the smoke unit..... a decent plume, not quite as good as the units in my TL45 Mallets and Pfiffi I don't think, but good enough - chuffs are certainly synched to the wheels, and it looks quite effective. I was pleasantly surprised by the "cylinder smoke" effect - I couldn't get a decent photo of the smoke from the chimney, but I think the cylinder effects look pretty good in this shot:

VIk smoke1.jpeg

Certainly adds a little extra dimension to the overall visual effect.
Very happy with the loco so far!

Jon.

Reactions: 3 users

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the update Jon, much appreciated.

Wonder if mine will arrive at Faversham by December 22nd when my next visit is planned.......

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well yes, but the few people I know who still smoke seem to do about a packet a day. That's a 0-10-0 by April!
Ah but if you do not smoke or drink there is nothing to give up to save for one!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Ah but if you do not smoke or drink there is nothing to give up to save for one!

Quite, JonD, but the point I was making was simply that there are many, many other ways that I could have spent this money which would have meant it went up in smoke or down the drain (quite literally...) with absolutely nothing to show for it afterwards aside from extra health problems..... by spending it on an LGB loco that will always (barring the arrival of the apocalypse etc) have a reasonable resale value, I feel it is probably the next-best "investment" to stashing the cash under the mattress! Anyway, that's my excuse and Im sticking to it. ;)

There's that wonderful quote attributed to George Best: "I spent most of my money on booze, fast cars and women.... the rest I just squandered!" :rofl:

Jon.

Reactions: 5 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
A bit more testing, including filling the smoke unit..... a decent plume, not quite as good as the units in my TL45 Mallets and Pfiffi I don't think, but good enough - chuffs are certainly synched to the wheels, and it looks quite effective. I was pleasantly surprised by the "cylinder smoke" effect - I couldn't get a decent photo of the smoke from the chimney, but I think the cylinder effects look pretty good in this shot:

View attachment 230706

Certainly adds a little extra dimension to the overall visual effect.
Very happy with the loco so far!

Jon.
And there are you saying that you don't smoke :shake::shake::shake:

Anyway, the mattress would be pretty lumpy if you stuffed that underneath..........