S&DJR Blue matching rattlecan

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Some years ago I regularly used a dark blue rattle can from Holfards (you know who I mean) to paint my SDJR stock. It was a Ford colour, but I can't remember the precise name. I visited the store again today in search of the same colour, only to find that Ford appear to have changed all the names. I bought a can of “Isis blue” whose cap colour looked about right (when did they ever match cap to contents, I remind myself) but the result, insofar as I can see, as yet not 24 hours dry in my artificial-light loft, is not what I was hoping for. Can anyone suggest a closer matching shade from Hoflards?

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Google may help...may be able to find your original colour, then its a case of tracking it down by either using the Ford original colour code, or by a RAL or HEX number.

If you are lucky enough to have a Automotive Paint Business nearby, worth a visit.

If the original colour mix contained "chemicals or additives", Halfords will not be able to help, they now are only allowed to stock or mix sanitized paints.

ford dark blue paint code - Google Search
Couldn’t immediately find it via that route but there’s a discussion on an SDJR site that suggests Rover Midnight Blue. Will try and find it...

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I suggest caution. Halfords list a Rover Midnight Blue but the only review on their site suggests there is a wide range of colour from one can to another. It may be better to get them to mix a colour to suit a sample that you feel is an acceptable match.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil. Of course I could just seek out a Precision Paints pot and buy a spraygun... and then again, colour is often in the eye of the holder, not to mention the ambient light...

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
The colour you were probably looking for could be Ford Ambassador Blue. Unfortunately it too has changed (when you can find it), it's a touch lighter than the original Granada/Transit shade, which I thought close enough. It's the colour I have used for my 7 1/4" G locos and rolling stock for some years. My last batch came as s.i.y (spray-it-yourself) from Tractol. For my Blue Train coaches (see Bachmann Jackson Sharp Re-branding, in Rolling Stock, Passenger) I used A Half-rods rattle can but unfortunately (having just checked) I don't have a record of which one, having used the last and binned the can after the Great Trent Valley Rail Disaster repairs.

Finished J&S (10)a (600 x 481).jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Went back to Halfords today. Isis blue now out of stock, so picked up a can of... Rover Midnight Blue...
I’m intending to repaint a full baggage car to go with the coach currently under refurbishment and I’m hoping any slight difference can be overlooked as the baggage car may be weathered. The Isis blue looks ok, especially now I’ve added narrow gold tape. The window frames will be varnished wood, if I can knock up a suitably realistic wood finish. Amazing how many tins of my paint have dried up...

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I expect you already know that the S&DJR lining was a black stripe with a very thin chrome yellow, bordering either side. I did do it correctly on my big stuff, but I have yet to attempt anything on the stock pictured above. I suspect that just a thin yellow will probably look near enough.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Can’t really justify full SDJR in the Colorado backwoods, and how do I draw a line 1/24 of 1/4 of an inch... with my eyesight and shaky hands!?

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Can’t really justify full SDJR in the Colorado backwoods, and how do I draw a line 1/24 of 1/4 of an inch... with my eyesight and shaky hands!?

Totally! Why did you think I hadn't either! :rofl::rofl:

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Guess which bright Herbert has just caught the top of his rattlecan and sprayed his hand Isis blue? No prizes for the correct answer!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Guess which bright Herbert has just caught the top of his rattlecan and sprayed his hand Isis blue? No prizes for the correct answer!
Caught blue handed.... o_O

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag

Not bright at all, it's DARK blue! :rofl::rofl:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Just to confuse the issue, the “correct” colour probably won’t look right on a small model compared to the real thing. :(:(

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Just to confuse the issue, the “correct” colour probably won’t look right on a small model compared to the real thing. :(:(
Quite right. Eye of the beholder, and all that.

Reactions: 1 user