Running two locos at the same time

RH Prague

Central European. the station pub is Czech !!
28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
Putting it simply: Is there any technical issue with running two trains at the same time (leaving aside the logistics). Does the answer depend on how similar or otherwise the locos are.? I have two ZB U classes running merrily around now with similar axle load (8 each) and while one is slightly faster than the other, everything else seems OK.

Just want to make sure there isn't any hidden damage...

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
If the speeds are reasonably closely matched there should be no problem.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Do you mean for double heading?

Reactions: 5 users

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
That is amazing.

Well I was confining myself to the question of two locos on different parts of the track. I have a decent size dumb bell.

But I wanted to ask separately about double heading in analogue. Isn't that a little more of an issue?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Technically I think there's little if any difference between analogue double heading similar locos and operating one twin (or more) motor loco.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I often run two separate trains. If the speeds are similar it takes quite a time for the faster one to catch the slower one.
You have to make sure your power supply has sufficient amps to push two locos. Obviously two locos will require twice as many amps as one.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Trying to figure out what kind of "hidden damage" you envisioned? All you're doing is running two motors instead of one - as Neil said - so you're drawing more current from the controller. As long as the controller can cope and you don't reach the overload cut-out limit then it's irrelevant how many locos you run on the same track and/or what types they are.

With double heading it becomes important that the locos are closely speed-matched otherwise one is pulling or pushing the other which could cause a strain on the gearing and they won't run smoothly together.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I often run three trains at once on my trailer layout. As my track power supply is in switchable sections I don't have a problem (unless I'm distracted and there's a crash and derailments).

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
Trying to figure out what kind of "hidden damage" you envisioned? All you're doing is running two motors instead of one - as Neil said - so you're drawing more current from the controller. As long as the controller can cope and you don't reach the overload cut-out limit then it's irrelevant how many locos you run on the same track and/or what types they are.

With double heading it becomes important that the locos are closely speed-matched otherwise one is pulling or pushing the other which could cause a strain on the gearing and they won't run smoothly together.

Good question. I'm not electronics savvy and went straight from having a Hornby Dublo as a kid (where two locos on one track was a no-no, or so I was told by my Dad) to my garden railway with a gap of about 40 years :)

I think I had read several years ago about double heading causing a strain on the gearing (and it was worded somewhat more strongly as I recall). So for several years, I never even tried it (or even two trains on one track). Been missing out...

So with regard to double-heading I take from this that it is all about speed matching as to whether the locos are compatible. So my two Stainz's don't seem particularly compatible (there are of course lots of Stainz's...). Maybe I should log how much time each of my locos needs to get round the loop at the same throttle speed?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Put two locos on the track about 8 feet apart.. Then run them.
If they run reasonably at the same speed, you will be fine.

I think your Father was right for the smaller scales, as everything is finer, so less robust to a little strain on the gearing. - That and the cost of young person perhaps being a little over exuberant with things?
We all had less idea what we might break as youngsters!

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Good question. I'm not electronics savvy and went straight from having a Hornby Dublo as a kid (where two locos on one track was a no-no, or so I was told by my Dad) to my garden railway with a gap of about 40 years :)

I think I had read several years ago about double heading causing a strain on the gearing (and it was worded somewhat more strongly as I recall). So for several years, I never even tried it (or even two trains on one track). Been missing out...

So with regard to double-heading I take from this that it is all about speed matching as to whether the locos are compatible. So my two Stainz's don't seem particularly compatible (there are of course lots of Stainz's...). Maybe I should log how much time each of my locos needs to get round the loop at the same throttle speed?
Fortunately things have changed a lot since Dublo days, with no, or at best very primative, overload protection provision it was probably quite possible to do some real damage to the controller or transformer. Going off thread a bit, in the earliest days, I think they used a rheostat for control. This was fine but under certain short circuit conditions, it could put up to 240volts across the tracks!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Putting it simply: Is there any technical issue with running two trains at the same time (leaving aside the logistics). Does the answer depend on how similar or otherwise the locos are.? I have two ZB U classes running merrily around now with similar axle load (8 each) and while one is slightly faster than the other, everything else seems OK.

No technical problem if your controller has sufficient amps. Your trains and their loads can be entirely different - no matter

Plenty of logistical problems dependent upon how long after Chablis-o'clock you are attempting this feat :drunk::drunk::drunk:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know why battery suggestions are being made... there is no technical issue. If you have enough amps for both trains at the same time, no problem. If one runs a lot faster than the other, you can put an inexpensive "voltage dropper" to slow down the faster one.

Greg

p.s. some people that run all DC locos, but more than one train on the track will put in an isolated section of track with a pushbutton to disconnect power... by doing this, you can easily "space out" trains to keep them apart or at the desired spacing... very inexpensive and easy to do.

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
You could always go digikal

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
You can always use a simple arrangement of isolating blocks controlled by magnets on each loco so that both locos cannot be in the same block at one time.

Reactions: 1 users

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
As Gordon says, that is an excellent way to do it!

Magnets on the locos can switch relays both on and off, but the relays can take the form of signals. This is very entertaining to watch the trains stop when the signal is at danger and start as it clears.

You always need one more 'block' than the number of trains you are running so if you goal is to run two trains, then you need three blocks.

Take a look at this link:
https://www.champex-linden.de/download_fremddokumente/lgb_00559_explore_the_world_of_lgb.pdf

The diagrams that explain what you need to know to create a simple block system are on pages 132 and 133.

This is using LGB 'EPL' gear which I find brilliant and have used since it was first available, but I am sure others can reccomend other makes of kit. For example the PIKO reeds and relays do much the same job!

The price of new LGB kit can somtimes be scary, but secondhand EPL stuff is usually very good value, and is generally sound, so almost as good as new. The only EPL item that you really should buy new are the reeds, as secondhand ones can be fine, but can sometimes be a bit of a challenge to get to work!

Good luck,

James

RockApeMark

Registered
24 Apr 2017
UK
Best answers
Country flag
No problems with double heading, or even triple heading if you have the power. I have always double headed, even with loco's that are slightly divergent regarding speed and attractive effort - no probs in the last 14 years!

Reactions: 1 users