Running point power cables

keithb

Registered
5 Sep 2018
Ruskington, Sleaford Lincolnshire
Best answers
I have looked peoples layouts and am very impressed, but I have noticed that a lot of people have 'Telegraph poles' (just looking pretty) doing nothing. I have also seen that a lot of people bury (hide) the power cables to various stuff.
I have built my own Telegraph poles and thought it would be a good idea to run my power cables along these ready for my points.
Is this a good idea , does it look ok, take a look.

Attachments

• WP_20181207_001.jpg
    WP_20181207_001.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20181207_004.jpg
    WP_20181207_004.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20181207_003.jpg
    WP_20181207_003.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I'd say not, although it might look good?

If you have pets, children or wildlife, it's definitely no, as you'll be constantly repairing your lines.

But at the end of the day Keith, it's your train set....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Looks pretty, if a little overscale, but not a good idea..
The cable is not particularly UV stable, will sag, and the insulation will eventually flake.. Then the fun really starts!
What others have said about children, animals, even visitors trying to 'rescue' loco's/stock.

Sorry, but if you want to run with it, as others have said.. Rule 8 applies to the whole infrastructure..

Oh, and you will need to be meticulous with your record-keeping, as to which wire goes where! - All the same colour, and if not, they will all end-up a grey-white colour, once the sun gets to them..
if you record the cable position on the pole, then that will help as well.. :nerd::nod::nod:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
By and large, the wires seem to follow the track and so why not use the LGB wire holders (thought they re pricey on a big layout) LGB 10710 Wire Holders x5/Chalk Garden Rail or devise something similar? Bunching the wires with straps would make the whole thing more rigid and reduce the number of supports you would need.

You could use the edges of the trestles to support them for some of the way round, too.

With the number of wires you have, domestic wiring conduit would be a possibility.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Often advised even when I was a kid not to put wires on Poles as they will get knocked off etc. Also I bet you hate this advice, that they would have been better if most of the wires were at the rear I.E. Next to the fence, less likely to be knocked in that position but near the House that advice would be irrelevant. Long term I would look to run them in Electrical Trunking as I have advised many times before. Spray Painted Matt Grey looks like Concrete just like the real thing.

Last edited:

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have looked peoples layouts and am very impressed, but I have noticed that a lot of people have 'Telegraph poles' (just looking pretty) doing nothing. I have also seen that a lot of people bury (hide) the power cables to various stuff.
I have built my own Telegraph poles and thought it would be a good idea to run my power cables along these ready for my points.

I quite like the idea.
I think I will use it when I build my new layout, it will be an elevated one so possibly less issue with pets (nil) children (none living with me) and wildlife (mostly birds where I am going, crocodiles keep the rest under control ;)).

I will not be using it for point wiring but as a lighting bus with drops to buildings although a bus for possible detection system as well. Probably use uninsulated wiring with line markers (coated in polyurethane).

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That's a new take, and it looks good - a bit like a real railway ;););)

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Stripping the insulation where it isn’t needed would reduce the out-of-scale issue if you can source a stainless steel conductor? Not an issue in a dry attic or shed?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Nicely modelled and neat and tidy. IMO it would have been better to put them on the fence side of the track, from an access and track visibility point of view. Also picture two shows the wires turning almost at right angles between posts, in real life it would be more gradual and the vertical posts would have inclined support posts on the inside of the curve. I still think dunnyrail dunnyrail 's idea is the best for outdoor trackside cabling (post #5).

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You need to at least have UV resistant wire, and that is actually scarce, start with black wire and spray with Armorall every 6 months.

Even that said, it will be large and out of scale if you have wire large enough to carry the current you want.

Also, solid core wire would last longer, but I don't think it would "hang" as well and look as nice.

Be sure to dip the ends of the wire in liquid rubber stuff to keep moisture wicking up between the wires and the jacket (I'm assuming you are using stranded).

You've already been warned well enough how easy this is to be damaged.

I do like the idea, but getting scale wire that will last outdoors will be tough.

Greg