Running LGB U Class cab first.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Those of you that possess a U Class loco or two may have tried to run the loco cab first.
then as soon as the gradient changes, the wagon/ coach behind the loco uncouples

there are two reasons for this:
1. The loop on the loco is a little higher than most stock loops and hooks
2. It is not possible to mount a hook on the front loop unless you are prepared to carry out major surgery on the chassis.

The solution I have implemented on my railway is a simple length of single core copper wire bent into a “U” shape (no pun intended). The wire is about 24mm long and bent into 3 8mm segments and simply hooked over both loops and gently wedged under the central buffer.
D4AC8FEC-B39A-4DDF-B791-799327148A44.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Those of you that possess a U Class loco or two may have tried to run the loco cab first.
then as soon as the gradient changes, the wagon/ coach behind the loco uncouples

there are two reasons for this:
1. The loop on the loco is a little higher than most stock loops and hooks
2. It is not possible to mount a hook on the front loop unless you are prepared to carry out major surgery on the chassis.

The solution I have implemented on my railway is a simple length of single core copper wire bent into a “U” shape (no pun intended). The wire is about 24mm long and bent into 3 8mm segments and simply hooked over both loops and gently wedged under the central buffer.
View attachment 270134
Another option (if it works on the U) is to add a 30thou plasticard dropping plate under the coupler.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

So U're saying U have a U on your U... U know it makes sense.

dig 190304004.JPG

David

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
U bends, that's plumbing the depths that is

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Ull never know.. Ta

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I notice the the valve gear is set for reverse - is that an accident of does the loco move the gear dependent on the direction of travel, like it does on my white Pass Mike?

Tac

What's your name, Fred? I don't know, I've never looked, I'd just be happy as long as the wheels turned, which they don't as the loco has not been chipped. Another job on the endlessly growing list. AustrianNG might be able to answer that one as his U-boats move.

David

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
? Are you deliberately trying to be obtuse? I asked because, as a runner and owner of live-steam models, I notice this kind of thing. The Aster/LGB White Pass mike actually lifts the valve link when you go into reverse, so that it gives a better representation of reality, unlike the vast majority of locomotive models that seem to move around in mid-gear, regardless of the direction in which they are going. The U Class in your image shows the valving set correctly for moving in reverse, it was not an attempt to impugn your character.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Having 'had-at' a number (admittedly, older models) there is no linkage / drive to the valve-gear to make it change.. - It may be arranged to move because of the direction of rotation of the wheels ?? But I can't say I have noticed this..

Give me five minutes.. - I have an old model upstairs..

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Took longer to get the pictures from the phone to the computer, than to find the model and take them! :(

IMG_20200717_144034 - web.jpg
An old and slightly battered example..
IMG_20200717_144234_BURST002-web.jpg
This is a separate (solid) plastic moulding.. It is not physically connected to the rest of the motion components.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
? Are you deliberately trying to be obtuse? I asked because, as a runner and owner of live-steam models, I notice this kind of thing. The Aster/LGB White Pass mike actually lifts the valve link when you go into reverse, so that it gives a better representation of reality, unlike the vast majority of locomotive models that seem to move around in mid-gear, regardless of the direction in which they are going. The U Class in your image shows the valving set correctly for moving in reverse, it was not an attempt to impugn your character.
The thing is, tac, that LGB inhabits a middle land that is partly modelling and partly the world of toys - there are times when they, as a manufacturer don't seem to worry too much either about serious detail or accurate scale.

That's LGB for you, and a lot of people like it for other (good) reasons.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
To be fair it is a fact that the greatest majority of ‘Model Trains’ Electrical ones that is do not change Valve Gear Events when they change direction, there is just so much that we can wish for on our plastic dragons. Fair to say that many including me could not tell the difference or even care. Though when watching the real thing when young I was aware of things moving around when changing direction but never bothered to ask what it was or what was occurring. Then my only real interest was the number in the side or front if the Engine to be hopefully underlined as a cop in my ABC. A hobby stolen from me by BR eliminating Steam in 1968 though I did venture to other parts if the World in search of Steam, by then photography was the thing that floated my boat.

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
Now it's time for a pedantic german engineer.
Lifting up the valve link does only mean "reverse" just in case of INNER steam injection (usually superheated steam; the expanded steam flows on the outer side to the exhaust)

The animated gif that shows the movement.

In case of OUTER steam injection, usually practized with flat slide valves (e.g. the Harz Mallets, or the U class) you lift the valve link to move forward.
The expanded steam flows through the middle to the exhaust.

> pedantic mode off < ;)

Attachments

• 1595006316038.png
    1595006316038.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Now it's time for a pedantic german engineer.
Lifting up the valve link does only mean "reverse" just in case of INNER steam injection (usually superheated steam; the expanded steam flows on the outer side to the exhaust)

The animated gif that shows the movement.

In case of OUTER steam injection, usually practized with flat slide valves (e.g. the Harz Mallets, or the U class) you lift the valve link to move forward.
The expanded steam flows through the middle to the exhaust.

> pedantic mode off < ;)

Please be careful - you may well incur the wrath, ire, vituperation, sarcasm and scorn of those for whom this is way too much unnecessary detail.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you 65 1057 65 1057 for the additional detail. For me this is one of the joys of this forum. I have little knowledge of how the various valve gears work but I know that when I do someone on here will be able to help me understand without being patronising. Like dunnyrail dunnyrail says it would be nice if our plastic models reflected that reality but they are complex, fragile and expensive enough as it is.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
This is a really useful U that should be running services at Swanage today as they reintroduce steam services in the new normalAF8C8B4B-06FC-4F18-94EC-BE77356F4008.jpeg