Run in the sun last night

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Took advantage of the evening sun to have a quick run, newly acquired second hand stock needs weathering!

IMG_0413.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Tell us more about the interesting loco :clap::clap:

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
OK, here's the short version!
Its scratch built, based loosely on 'Skookum' which was a small standard gauge Mallet but I've altered the cab proportions slightly to make it look Narrow gauge.
Chassis uses Big Hauler wheels in a brass frame with LGB motor in rear unit only - I only have a small track and don't need more power. Body is built round a piece of 3 inch plastic pipe with plasticard for the rest of it, both power units pivot so it will go round a first radius curve although it looks ridiculous doing it!
I made it in 2004 so it's lasting well although some of the smaller valve gear parts were plasticard and are now becoming brittle, time to redo them in brass I think.

Painted_2035.jpgPainted_2033.jpg

Last edited:

mikka

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Victoria, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
if im not mistaken you had a really nice article on its construction on MLS (im kicking myself for not saving a copy of it), very inspiring at the time

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Good memory Mikka, I've got the article on disk somewhere but I don't think it survived on line although someone will have a copy I'm sure.
I've seen a few models which may have been influenced by the article which is great if they were but I certainly had a lot of enjoyment making my two Mallets and recording how I did it.

MLS Poster.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
An excellent build, looks really convincing as a narrow gauge-ed re-imagining of a prototype.