Roundhouse's new engine(s) announcements

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Whats everybodys thoughts on the new RH Davenport locomotive for 2020 and the upcoming models for 2021, 22 with teaser pics? As a Yankee, I love the Davenport and plan to change my pre order of a Lady Anne over to the Davenport if it is scheduled for delivery after a certain month where I have budgeted the funds to be i place to pay for it. I already emailed Harri at RH about it along with a pre VAT price for me on the RC version. The new model will go well with my Aster Climax and Pearse switcher. The engines in 2021/22 are gonna be nice, but not lines that I model or have interest in. Mike the Aspie
davenport1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looks a nice beastie but with Inside Valvegear a SloMo will be impossible I reckon.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, no ablity to put a Slomo on anything with inside valve gear, but its the same basic chassis as the Lilla like my friend has. And with RC control, his Lilla runs like it has a Slomo, very controlable and smooth. They do offer a Slomo for putting in a freight wagon, so one could always go this route. I have my order in for one of these, will be my final live steamer for a little while. Need to work on buildings and putting people and lights in my W&L Pickering coaches. My Davenport will be black with a oxide roof, with my Riverbottom Lumber Co. name on the saddle tank done with cut vinyl lettering and the number 1 on the cab sides. RBLCo #2 is my 3 truck Climax. Mike the Aspie

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a good big chunky piece of locomotive, for sure, and at a not-unreasonable price-point, even here in UK with 20% taxes added. Mike, you are getting this loco almost for free!!! :)

Sad to note, however, than unless you go down the home-build line, there is nothing out there in 16mm that is also US outline, where most of these great little locos operated. However, as somebody pointed out on booktwitch, they were used all over the planet, and for that reason could be found hauling most anything.

As seen, it is just screaming out for some dulling down of that Roll-Royce paint finish, of which RH can be rightfully proud for the majority of their steamers. It would look like that only for as long as it took me to seriously dull it down with assorted weathering and carp.

Props to RH for producing a loco that a lot of people didn't know they wanted, but now that they've seen it, can't envision life without it!! :)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a nice loco, I reckon it will look even better in lined br black livery with crests.

Dan

Hmmm dunno about BR etc, but were they not used in some kind of road construction project here in UK? Maybe somebody here might know...

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Anyhow, this comes from sister site Mylargescale.com, with gratish thanks to member Chris Scott -

Davenport #1597 preserved by Illawarra Light Railway Museum
The Illawarra Light Railway Museum operates a mainline 2 ft (610 mm) narrow gauge light railway, a miniature 7 1⁄4 in (184 mm) gauge railway, and a museum located near Albion Park Rail near Wollongong, south of Sydney, New South Wales

1169-chris-scott-albums-locomotives-picture17442-1920px-kiama-0-4-0st-locomotive-2.jpg

Looks VERY good with a light application of lining and a tad more colour in the form of red side-rods and pilot beam. No doubt Banta will eventually make a wooden cab, although I could probably make one in a day or so.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I would say that Roundhouse knows their market very very well. Tac, I would gamble to also say that pretty much every Davenport like that in the states was inside frame instead of outside. So a bit of modelers license required there. But keeping the dual gauge ability is a strong selling point for the majority of their line up with only a few exceptions that must be built for 45 or 32 but cannot do both. Since mine will be for my logging line, pretty much anything goes in the woods! If you can think it up, some poor logger probably built it in the company shops at one time or another. I bet Berry Hill and Lightline will offer that lining to create that one from down under and I bet Banta is already drawing up the cab. Mike

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting product choice from RH. Looking for more export oriented sales like some past issues - Bundaberg, SR&RL #24, etc' ? You might have found the prototype it is based on Tac, that does look nice lined out and with the natural wood cab. RH's blurb says it'll be shipped in matt finish. Interesting to note the type of cylinder/valve arrangement they are using on this one. Could a reissue, but gauge adjustable, Forney be not that far down the line if overseas sales are respectable on this one ? Surprised they didn't get one of the UK's experienced wood cutters to provide them with a cab from the get go to factory fit.

I'll be waiting for what's promised for 2022. My older Darj' stock look a little incongruous behind my blue 0-4-0, and the same again in green might be a duplication too far. Max

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting product choice from RH. Looking for more export oriented sales like some past issues - Bundaberg, SR&RL #24, etc' ? You might have found the prototype it is based on Tac, that does look nice lined out and with the natural wood cab. RH's blurb says it'll be shipped in matt finish. Interesting to note the type of cylinder/valve arrangement they are using on this one. Could a reissue, but gauge adjustable, Forney be not that far down the line if overseas sales are respectable on this one ? Surprised they didn't get one of the UK's experienced wood cutters to provide them with a cab from the get go to factory fit.

I'll be waiting for what's promised for 2022. My older Darj' stock look a little incongruous behind my blue 0-4-0, and the same again in green might be a duplication too far. Max

Yeah, for sure there is some serious expertise here in UK in the laser wood-cutting area. An acquaintance of mine makes kits for G1 LNER teak passenger coaches, and very beautiful they are, too. And Ivan Prior - IP Engineering - another real expert on woodcutting...and multiple others, too.

Banta, however, work mainly in smaller scales, and their large-scale cabs are virtually unheard of over here, and pretty costly too. I have one on one of my Shays, and have to admit that it is VERY fine and wood-lookin', just like the real thing. If I ever get the RH version - extremely unlikely, with a Porsche to run as well, I'll just make my own version, but you can be sure it will look a lot like the example in the picture.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, very little Banta over here - this is one of the few - and actually not that expensive for a full body kit (sorry - a bit of thread drift there).

DSCF1555.JPG

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
RH's blurb says it'll be shipped in matt finish.
I must have missed that, can you point me to somewhere where that is mentioned please? I can only find reference to matt finish smokebox and cab roof.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Roundhouse have excelled once again and given us a nice range of new locomotives. I‘m sure the Davenport would look very nice in Deep Brunswick Green. I’m just waiting for their new diesel announcement, maybe a Davenport Diesel.

James M

Registered
5 Feb 2017
Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with Paul, waiting to see what the next diesel will be. Though the proposed England loco for next year is very tempting.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
If you read the background on their possible prototype, the nice wood cab came after preservation. Replacing the original style cab which looks to be much like the factory RH cab on the their prototype model. I wonder if Bronson & Tate still make new wood cabs? They used to or still made some nice once for the Ruby and such. If the model goes over well, I be someone offers a wood cab for it at some point soon. Matt Acton at Berry Hill says that lining and decorating job is no problem to do. Mike

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
I loved it until I saw the asking price!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I loved it until I saw the asking price!

Buy once, cry once. I've never heard of anybody complaining that Roundhouse locomotives were made too well, AND in England, too. Trust me, by the standards of some G1 makers, Bockholt and so on, you are getting this loco for peanuts. Some folks are quite happy to pay upwards of eu15K for an electric model of a steam loco....

And just think that those lucky folks over the water get it for 20% LESS than we do.

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
I thought the price was reasonable, if not for the fact I have a Fowler on order from RH I could have been tempted.
All Roundhouse locos have shot up in price year after year (well over inflation) making any advance order quite a major decision unless you are quite well off. I know it is not just Roundhouse but the hobby is going through an expensive period.