Roundhouse Sandy River

West is Best

Registered
28 Dec 2009
" Somewhere on Planet Earth "
Best answers
Hi Everyone, I'am back

I had some business too conduct in the wonderfull city of Doncaster ( I think not), today (Friday) and

anybody in to live steam know who's in Sunny Donny, yeep Roundhouse.

After sometime now. watching my friends & fellow enthusiast's down at the

CFR (Charnwood Forest Railway) running their live steam, I thought it was time to join in,

so being into American outline there was only one loco to buy,

yeep, Sandy River & Rangley Lakes 0-6-0 Consoildation. So I have ordered one,

the bit that suck's is that it won't be ready until September.

I am throwing the accessory book at it, silver smoke box door, red oxide cab roof, Lineing, etc.

My question is this, Roundhouse do not fit working whistle's and working head light's to their loco's,

so has any member had these fitted or can any member reccommend a manufacturer and installer ?

Thank you

Best and Kind Regards

Nigel

Incidently the Darjeeling 0-4-0 saddle tank did come a very very close second.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
For whistles you can't beat DJB Engineering. Have to fit them yourself though

Charles M

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Arvada, Colorado, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Nigel,

Like the Santa Fe F-7 , have seen many of these growing up in a town on the Santa Fe mainline.

You will like the S.R.& R.L. 2-6-2 Prarie , I have seen one of these run and they are very nice. I have a Katie and an Old Colonial from Roundhouse , they are great. Enjoy.

Charles M

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
you did it up right
the new version has sprung drivers which should result in overall better running and pulling
i have the original version in plane jane black with the rather tedious tender pump and 
rather wonderful RC (while mine was only slightly used and i would not have selected RC)

not really a 'purist' but steam seems so simple and hands on etc-

but being able to adjust to grades and to stop and reverse really makes it more fun for me

as my SRRL has it, it is great-the operation options are simply so much greater than point and shoot IMHO)
if you havent gone RC i might suggest giving it a thought
i have great piece of mind knowing i can stop if need be in a hurry

the new positioning of the fuel tank is better imho too

based on my own
the headilight is simply screwed to the bracket and easily removed
if I were you ID order a spare to work on with a spare lens or 2

it has a large lens which may also pop out-mine didi but it might have been due to old adhesive (if any)

the lens is similar to a magnifying glass and would be great lighted
while i havent really taken the time to analyze things

issues might be wiring, drilling and reflector-and i imagine anice LED
the little buggers get rather hot especially at the front

one might use a small tool box on the pilot as a battery box-perhaps two samll hearing aid type batterirs? or one AA or watever the pilot will take without looking too wierd

havent ever heard a scael whistle that i liked -they dont scale down as i understand things

but the one that tag posted does sound super
and

theres a certain simple elegance to the steam dome with its hole in the top-not sure how a whistle might fit -it would need an extender i would think-aside from the release valve and up over the hole -for access-and a whistle fitted as i am thinking of things may interfere with the roof when raised as well as scratching the roof paint

as with the lamp-you might want to order a spare dome in case it need surgery of some sort

you will simply love the engine
it is a simple joy

and after futzing with mine after a jet got clogged
they are actually rather easy to keep in order -hint when i ran a micro wire through the jet (hey it works on the Frank s) -Roundhose says NOT TO DO this -i did anyway as it had a clog-it wouldnt clear with air and i had no spare jets  -doing this was only moderately helpful (barely in fact)  and a new jet was the proper solution-lesson learned these are really as delicate as roundhose says 

if you have problems simply replace the jet if it will not blow clean with air pressure  

i wish mine had the silver and red options 

they clean up nicely with acetone or kerosene 

please tell us about the lining that you have selected-where and what colour?

wont you have a proper Oktoberfest!
congrats