Roundhouse Sandy River from a Fowler?

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Morning all

Home isolation has given me too much pondering time I think.

I unearthed my old O gauge Basset Lowke live steam the other day and it gave me a hankering for a G scale one.

I'd ideally like a US outline, such as Accucraft, but the cost is prohibitive and I love the idea of assembly (as opposed to full-on 'building' :) )

A Roundhouse kit would be ideal in terms of cost and build-level. Initially I wondered about a Lady Anne, but I'm warming to the idea that a Fowler might be a good basis to build into something American?

After all the Brandbright Liberty Belle was a Fowler-based conversion, wasn't it?

Ideally I'd like to get to an approximation of Roundhouse's Sandy River. It looks as though a Fowler be a better starting point than a Lady Anne for that too?

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Check out the Roundhouse Engineering website. They have the dimensions for both the Sandy River and Fowler locomotives. It sounds like it could be an interesting project.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
RH Fowler:

fowler4.jpg

BB Liberty Belle (fancy version!)

LibertyBelle-01.jpg

libertyb.jpg

Sounds like a fun project. When I was converting/backdating an Aster loco, I got a bunch of dome hardware from Trackside details. You might be able to just fit a dome top on the original RH dome. TD also has air pumps and millions of other detail parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like a fun project. When I was converting/backdating an Aster loco, I got a bunch of dome hardware from Trackside details. You might be able to just fit a dome top on the original RH dome. TD also has air pumps and millions of other detail parts.

Thanks Fred! That's well worth knowing...

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have seen both the Fowler and the Lady Anne "Americanized" back in the day. Years ago, they were about the only thing that ran well on the market before Accucraft came on the scene. And both run better than most any entry level model along with logistical support that is second to none. Do some google image hunting for Americanized Lady Annes and Fowlers. You can always build up your choice of chassis with boiler, then make your own body/cab or modifiy the RH parts. Good luck and post plenty of pictures. BTW, I have 2 Bassett Lowke O gauge steamers( LMS Mogul and LMS Enterprise) and 2 G scale ones. A Pearse USA style 0-4-0 and I just bought a second hand Lady Anne.

Last edited:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at the 2 photos I found, it is interesting that one has the bell instead of the rear sand dome, and the other replaces the front one.
Adding the front pilot frame and truck seems to make a big difference. A new cab (Bronson-Tate Climax cab from The Train Dept?) will help. I'm not mad about the rear truck being so far behind the drivers.

(You can tell I have nothing else to do except pontificate.)

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at the 2 photos I found, it is interesting that one has the bell instead of the rear sand dome, and the other replaces the front one.
Adding the front pilot frame and truck seems to make a big difference. A new cab (Bronson-Tate Climax cab from The Train Dept?) will help. I'm not mad about the rear truck being so far behind the drivers.

(You can tell I have nothing else to do except pontificate.)

:D Thanks Fred
I too was wondering if a Bronson-Tate or Banta might be a quick and easy solution for a cab
Like you I think it's the pilot frame/front truck/cowcatcher that add the majority of the transition.

Funnily enough I'm speaking to Jay at the Train Dept. at the moment. He has some laser cut American outline frames to suit a Lady Anne - Very handy as it'll be a much lower profile with the spring hanger detail. Together with some other bits and pieces I've been able to dig up, I think I'm going the Lady Anne into a No24 route. Roundhouse supply the counterbalanced axles which is another big visual change.

I agree the gap between the rear truck and the rear driver looks wrong to my eyes - that's masked to some extent on the No24, mainly due to the axlebox masking it. I think it could probably be shifted forwards by a few mm without any ill effects too. The rear truck and its mounting is extremely simple.

I think the most difficult part to sort may be the smokebox, which is part of the boiler wrapper. I'm sure it's doable though!
no24.JPG

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
the most difficult part to sort may be the smokebox
Hmmm. I think a dummy smokebox wrapper made from brass tube or sheet could be put over the existing one. The just add a Trackside Details smokebox front!

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I am doing one at the moment. I got a few parts from Roundhouse when I was there a couple years ago.

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

That's fantastic to hear! What a great job you're making of it too :inlove:

Do you mind my asking what parts Roundhouse were able to provide? It looks as though you're fabricating the running boards and cab conversion at the very least.

I'm glad to see a Slomo tucked away in there, that was on my list to include!

Is yours RC? One concern I have is hiding the electronics without the benefit of side tanks. The tender will help with the batteries and receiver but the servos are all going to need to go in or under the cab.

I'd like to use a Riverdale boiler if I can, which may make things more tricky.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd love to see more pictures as you progress!

The Tinker

6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
The front and rear trucks are off a SR&RL loco as is the front coupling bar. The side cranks are spares they offer for the fowler. I did contemplate making a wooden cab. I will see how the brass one turns out first. I have got the cab front to work and made a generator mount. Looks OkdLbeYxu_RFyvO8iY3SkmTg.jpgd3gp3aSxRZ6N9EQNXhUZgQ.jpg

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I just wanted to take the opportunity here to say a HUGE thanks to Tony at Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works for all of his time and patience in chatting this through with me (and to apologise for disturbing his bacon-eating) :D

He took time from his paying work to spend a good 45 minutes imparting the benefit of his extensive experience, to listen and advise. I am immensely grateful.
I'd heard of the good reputation of Rhos Helyg - it's clearly well deserved and I'll be making sure to go back for my steam needs, once I've got started :)

The Tinker

6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
A little more progress today. Trying to make all parts so they bolt on and can be removed so Loco can be put back to almost originalHDluCJUOQ9C4d54vn0Kj7A.jpg8IKORD6CS7aN3epsPZDDLg.jpgUMQnWxIoS8aFqiyn8A2i6Q.jpgpmyjAewVTd6wTY9zL2_nA.jpgqOa5w1vkQVexTHheD5gfiQ.jpg

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Great progress, it's really taking shape, that looks like some fiddly soldering!
It's going to look fantastic when you're finished.
It's A great idea to make the conversion reversible too, I think.

What's the plan for the tender?

Rumor has it that the original No24s had spoked drivers provided by Walsall. I think sourcing/machining/fitting those would be too much for me

The Tinker

6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Wheels are hard to see so not going to worry about them. I do want to make working lights and I have been thinking about a wood load for tender as well. As i like logging railroads . I am learning lots working with brass. The soldering part is pretty easy with heat adjustable soldering iron. The work is in the cutting and filing of the brass. It is a nice medium to work with. Accurate measuring and marking is really important. Plastic is definitely more forgiving and cheaper

Last edited: