Roundhouse Millie - Steam Regulator Question

hobbyfossi201

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Good Morning!

Since last Wednesday I´ve been the proud owner of a new Millie. Having it steamed twice Millie runs smooth on the blocks. When regulating the Steamflow I´ve recognized that the regulator doesn´t close properly, because the wheels still try to make slightly some revolutions. Furthermore when changing the direction by shifting Millie for one revolution in the opposite direction I could feel that there´s still some pressure on the cylinders.

I guess I should dismantle the regulator, but does anyone has a hint?

Thank you in advance.

regards

Klaus

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
There might be a little bit of muck in it which is preventing the steam being shut right down. Carefully remove it and check for muck and check the O ring. Give it a light smear of vaseline and put it back again.

hobbyfossi201

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thank you Ron.

I will try it this evening and keep you updated.

regards
Klaus

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I've noticed this too when "On the blocks" but it's never been a problem on track. so I've not bothered with it...............

hobbyfossi201

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks Guys for sharing your experience.

BTW I already dismantled the regulator but there´s nothing uncommon, no debris or something like that. Furthermore there´s no washer inside, just the regulator itself.

regards
Klaus

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Can I ask, when running on blocks do the wheel revolutions stop after a while, or do they keep going?

If they stop then it is caused by the final dregs of steam and water in the superheater being heated to operating pressure by the burner, and it is something that you will have to live with. As others have mentioned, it may not do it on track as the relatively small amount of friction between wheels and rails (and any trailing load) may be enough to stop it from happening.

hobbyfossi201

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hello Tony!

Thanks for your guess, but the cylinders are permanent under steam so that it´s really difficult to reverse the direction. The wheel´s are blocking and only by putting pressure on the loco makes the reverse possible.

I dropped Roundhouse an email yesterday, let´s see what´s their opinion.

Regards

Klaus

hobbyfossi201

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Good Morning!

As a follow up:
Roundhouse is quite confident that it´s just a matter of "bedding in". I will give it a try for some hours and then it should be fixed.

Regards Klaus

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
hobbyfossi201 said:
Good Morning!

As a follow up:
Roundhouse is quite confident that it´s just a matter of "bedding in". I will give it a try for some hours and then it should be fixed.

Regards Klaus

What a great choice of loco! Would love some more pics. My first 'proper' loco was a Bertie and still love it!

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers
cant beat a good old Millie :D

009-9.jpg

012-4.jpg

also did you know the designs 10th Birthday has just passed.

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers
Very nice pictures. My mates Millie was nicely run in after about 20 runs and can achieve very long runs due to its boiler & burner design.

hobbyfossi201

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
hornbeam said:
hobbyfossi201 said:
Good Morning!

As a follow up:

Regards Klaus

What a great choice of loco! Would love some more pics. My first 'proper' loco was a Bertie and still love it!

Good Morning hornbeam!

Some pics will follow after the weekend. In addition I will try to upload a short video running on the blocks to youtube and then give it a link here.
regards
Klaus

hobbyfossi201

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Rosco said:
Very nice pictures. My mates Millie was nicely run in after about 20 runs and can achieve very long runs due to its boiler & burner design.

That´s one of the major issues why I have chosen Millie. Next to that I like her appearance, she looks somehow elegant.

Prior to her delivery I had lot´s of changes in mind but now I´m considering just minor ones.
Let´s see what I will do with her at the end.

Regards

Klaus