Roundhouse "Jack" hunting

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
South Staffordshire UK and Co. Wexford Eire
Best answers
Country flag
Can someone shed some light on a problem that is bothering me?

I have recently acquired a Roundhouse "Jack". The loco is late 1980's vintage but very good condition nontheless. The issue that I have is that at low to medium regulator opening, in forward or reverse gear, the loco regularly "hunts" or surges.
I have to note that the slightest touch of the regulator handle or valve block, results in a change of speed/ surge.

I have a few locos now and know what to expect, but have not encountered this sort of issue before. The loco has been dry-stored for around 10 years by its previous owner and considering this, the problem is very minor but it is annoying! Are these Roundhouse regulator valves known for promoting "hunting"? I would be interested to know if others have suffered this problem and what the cure is, I.e. Can you strip them and pack them with suitable grease/lubricant to prevent surging?

Regards

Dave

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
The term 'Hunting', as used in real railways, relates to the wheels pushing against one of the running rails, on straight track (a common problem with the older style 3 piece bogies of American type).
Is this what you are getting?, or is the loco 'surging'.... indicating that, perhaps the valves need resetting. Do you have a bent axle, or wobbly wheel?

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
My understanding is that there are two types of regulator; one for manual control and one for radio control. They differ in the length of the needle point. Is it possible that the wrong type of regulator is fitted to the loco.

Easiest solution is to email Roundhouse about the problem and attach a video if possible.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My initial thoughts were that the wheels or perhaps just one set were out of Gauge somewaht. But further description appears to defy that. Your discussions with Roundhouse may suggest a new Regulator, pretty sure that would sort the problem.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Might it get better with some 'running-in'? - Or has the loco been used a reasonable amount, in it's past-life? :think:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Dry storage 10 years - Check the condition, and if not perished, try a wipe of grease around the "O" rings on the regulator and gas regulator shafts. If that fails check the the valve timing and order yourself an RH "service" kit, piston seals, etc', for that loco. And call RH anyway :) Max

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to add that the loco was running on blocks as I have no line to run on at present. The steam circuit, boiler, pipework, lubricator and cylinders where all surprisingly steam-tight externally.

By "hunting" I was using the automotive meaning of the term when applied to internal combustion engines, i.e. rhythmically speeding up and slowing back to original speed, and not the American railroad terminology as related to above.

When I next steam the loco, I will get a video clip to illustrate the problem.

Dave

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Silly thought, is the reverser in the correct position? On one of my locos, if I knock the reversing lever it gives the same action as you are describing.

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
Best answers
Country flag
Ah! You may be on to something there. The servo horn on the reverser servo had split when I received the loco.
I replaced the horn and set it centrally on the servo so that there is equal throw either way. Maybe a bit of tweaking is required? The only issue I have with this theory is that the same "hunting" happens in both forward and reverse gear and the rhythm is also identical. It really is "doing my head" this one!

When I get chance, I will fire the loco again and take some film footage, we can then " compare notes".

Dave

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have found that live steamers that are stored for years, need a few boiler fills run thru them before things loosen back up and seals reseal themselves. Worst case, do a cylinder rebuild with the kit from Roundhouse. Most likely there is gooey steam oil in the various passages and pipes, more run time on blocks or if you can visit someone's railway and pull a moderate load for a few boiler fills. Then reevaluate Jack's performance.

Reactions: 1 user

Romney

Registered
3 May 2020
Kent
Best answers
It sounds like your Jack is priming. This is where if the boiler is dirty, water is carried over through the regulator instead of dry steam. Once in the superheater, the water flashes to steam, this will make your loco speed up, then settle again. If it has been stored for ten years it is highly likely your boiler needs a washout. This me as simple as changing the water a few times. Remove the safety walve and look into the boiler. If the previous owner has used tap water it may be very chalky and require a desaler to remove.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It sounds like your Jack is priming. This is where if the boiler is dirty, water is carried over through the regulator instead of dry steam. Once in the superheater, the water flashes to steam, this will make your loco speed up, then settle again. If it has been stored for ten years it is highly likely your boiler needs a washout. This me as simple as changing the water a few times. Remove the safety walve and look into the boiler. If the previous owner has used tap water it may be very chalky and require a desaler to remove.
Some suggest a dose of vinegar added to the cleaning process, do not like it myself but I guess after a good flush out with clean water ought to cause few problems.