Roundhouse Engineering NDM-6.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Locomotive posing for pictures then operating light engine prior to acceptance trials.
The locomotive will carry the name "OGGIWALLA ". The Scout Master name of my late step father.image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Just taken delivery of the latest Roundhouse Engineering NDM-6 Darjeeling locomotive.

Reactions: 7 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
That's a very impressive loco.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice Casey - loads of detail on that.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That is a very nice loco :nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice indeed Casey - I think I'm in lust. I wonder how much to ship to Australia........

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
So when are the Garrett and 0-4-0 Steam Darg engines going to join it?
JonD

Reactions: 1 user

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
So when are the Garrett and 0-4-0 Steam Darg engines going to join it?
JonD
Turned down the Garrett in favour of the Bundaberg locomotive, however the B class in Deep Brunswick Green could be on the cards.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Turned down the Garrett in favour of the Bundaberg locomotive, however the B class in Deep Brunswick Green could be on the cards.
Me I keep lusting after the Garrett. Also a class B, nearly got one when they first came out and one of the Houses that I liked at Hemel would have made a perfect Darg line as it sloped uphill all the way with Spirals being required to gain height. However at the time I was into Irish and I missed that House. The move to East German theme commenced in Hemel and the rest is now history.
JonD

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
OGGIWALLA being load tested. Between eight and twenty wagons were hauled. OGGIWALLA stalled on the St Bernards curve with twenty wagons.image.jpeg Eight wagons on the move.image.jpeg Fifteen wagons being hauled over St Bernards Viaduct.image.jpeg OGGIWALLA stalls on the bend with twenty wagons.image.jpeg Twenty wagons being hauled by OGGIWALLA.

Reactions: 2 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
'....stalls on the bend with 20 wagons' :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

By 'eck that's still some loco, and no doubt that 20 was just a test, but even with 15 that's impressive for a 4-wheel battered dismal :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
'....stalls on the bend with 20 wagons' :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

By 'eck that's still some loco, and no doubt that 20 was just a test, but even with 15 that's impressive for a 4-wheel battered dismal :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

The intention is to run her with a maximum of nine boxcars and a brakevan. She rescued the Bundaberg locomotive, seven wagons and a brakevan without problem.

Jag

Registered
27 Oct 2009
West Midlands England
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Country flag
Locomotive posing for pictures then operating light engine prior to acceptance trials.
The locomotive will carry the name "OGGIWALLA ". The Scout Master name of my late step father.View attachment 221500 View attachment 221501 View attachment 221502 View attachment 221503 View attachment 221504 View attachment 221505 Just taken delivery of the latest Roundhouse Engineering NDM-6 Darjeeling locomotive.

Very, very smart indeed! Just the job for special duties on the CFR. Take care!

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
My NDM-6 is now on its fourth set of motors and gearboxes. These were fitted by those good people at Roundhouse yesterday. Hopefully these will last.C41A9E89-0644-4385-A8EA-EC9B14B2783E.jpeg
NDM-6 at the Abberton Valley Railway prior to a gearbox failure.

Eeyore.Boater

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Stafford
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
My NDM-6 is now on its fourth set of motors and gearboxes. These were fitted by those good people at Roundhouse yesterday. Hopefully these will last.View attachment 247526
NDM-6 at the Abberton Valley Railway prior to a gearbox failure.
Ouch! Did they all fail in the same way, or are we looking at some extremely bad luck?

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Ouch! Did they all fail in the same way, or are we looking at some extremely bad luck?
The failure seems to be caused by one cog becoming detached in the gearbox. This has happened on each occasion. Roundhouse change both motors and gearboxes in an attempt to keep wear even. My NDM-6 does a lot of miles, so the wear is to be expected.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The failure seems to be caused by one cog becoming detached in the gearbox. This has happened on each occasion. Roundhouse change both motors and gearboxes in an attempt to keep wear even. My NDM-6 does a lot of miles, so the wear is to be expected.
I think in all,cases it will be the Mileage that causes the issue, I got given an LGB Stainz once that had elongated wheel Bearings and the holes in the Coupling Rods were also egg shaped. It had been in a Shop Dosplay for Years trundling back and forwards with an Auto Shuttle. Still worked faultlessly, but that was Original LGB Tech! Not to decry Roundhouse Products, they are probably just not meant to take those sorts of distances. Though I am aware of the Lady Ann on the Scottish run.