Country flag
Very nice CJ, much better than the tender version IMO

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great - just like a hard working industrial engine.I am not always sure about the look of spark-arresters but this one suits it.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
For UK use, at least, I think it needs red buffer beams.

David

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Nice! But why is the chimney stack so outagerous big?

A spark arrester, to prevent starting lineside fires..... same reason that similar ones (some smaller, some even bigger) are fitted on many locos, European and American.

Jon.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Nice! But why is the chimney stack so outagerous big?
It's a spark arresting stack, to try and prevent sparks / embers from the fire escaping and igniting the lineside grass etc. in hot / dry climates. The Bundaberg loco worked on a sugar cane line in Queensland Australia. I've seen similar sugar cane lines when I was in Fiji in 1974, though it was diesel operated by then and I only saw static steam locos.

I've experienced a grass fire caused by a steam loco on the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway when I was manning one of the small stations as a summer job back in the 80s. Not fun, fortunately the fire engine was able to get along a farm track next to the line.

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's nice to see a 6-coupled loco back on the Roundhouse roster - I like lots of wheels >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
It's a spark arresting stack, to try and prevent sparks / embers from the fire escaping and igniting the lineside grass etc. in hot / dry climates. The Bundaberg loco worked on a sugar cane line in Queensland Australia. I've seen similar sugar cane lines when I was in Fiji in 1974, though it was diesel operated by then and I only saw static steam locos.

I've experienced a grass fire caused by a steam loco on the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway when I was manning one of the small stations as a summer job back in the 80s. Not fun, fortunately the fire engine was able to get along a farm track next to the line.

....which is why some rail systems like the Harz have special firefighting trains, and/or a firefighting water tanker coupled to the back of some regular trains during very dry periods.

Jon.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Harz water tanker.
DSC04484 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Haqrz water tanker.

Not this one then????

zenner-schnapps-wagon-glass-tank-one_360_71de754dcfa3e6a5fb17f2ce3b151a9d.jpg

On second thoughts it would probably fuel the fire rather than put it out!

Reactions: 2 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Depends what is in it???
Polish spirit?
:eek:;):giggle::giggle:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The glass says Finlandia - dunno what the Finns drink?

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Bundaberg - that's a good, solid, woody name for a loco, isn't it?

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

These locos ran literally right through the cane, if a spark started a cane fire it would be catastrophic because the fire would just race away, when a cane paddock goes up it is virtually unstoppable but very spectacular the only way to stop them is push a break through unburnt cane and back burn.

If the cane is burnt the sugar content (CCS) starts to drop and the farmer loses money. Also the mills can only accept a certain amount of cane per day which is why the different farms are allocated a number of bins/day a quota system.

These days the cane is cut unburnt but the quota system still operates to spread the income for the farmers over the crushing season.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
What, your living in a loco?:D