Roofing material for an engine shed

MarcOpperman

Registered
5 Mar 2023
Austin
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

I'm scratch-building a 2-bay generic American West engine shed (1920s-1950s) mostly out of Accoya deck scraps. I've milled 100% of the lumber myself. I am probably 60% of the way finished, but I have hit a wall on what to roof it with. I'm not a fan of the styrene sheets I've seen, nor do I think it would look right with the corrugated steel I've used on another project. I sort of think wood shingles would be in order, but I'll be damned if I'm going to cut 1,000 (+/-) little scale shingles. Someone had suggested non-slip self-adhesive stair tread, too. Asphalt roofs were common in the early part of the 1900's, so I think simulated asphalt could work.

In any event, I've not seen sheets of any premade stuff that would be big enough not to have weird seams. The building footprint is approx. 20" X 29".

I should note, I'm not modeling a specific structure, though I was inspired by something I saw on eBay that cost more than I was willing to spend.

Anyone have any thoughts or resources?

(I posted this on MyLargeScale, but they are having major issues with photos, so noting was working well there.)

IMG_9856.jpeg

7C34C4EE-F86E-4955-A868-A2AD29590231.jpeg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of options come to mind. First roofing felt can make a good roof if you use the fine sand type rather than larger stone type. On my Boston Lodge rendering I have used 3-5mm thick Plastic Coated Foamboard scribed to represent slates, shingles would probably be just as feasible if you scribed the Foamboard with a broken hack saw blade to represent wood grain.

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
have a look at dolls house retailers, you can buy individual slates and wooden tiles to apply to a roof

(example from uk)

PS, lovely work on the shed