Roll-Ez and other metal wheels

RH Prague

Central European. the station pub is Czech !!
28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
So I posted about my acquisition of a Zenner RKBB coach, and that I had fitted it with Roll-Ez ball-bearing wheels. A few days later, somebody - and I can't find the post or the thread it was in - wrote that Peter Zenner knows exactly what wheels best fit his conversions. Ruefully I confirm this. With "his"wheels the coach runs very freely, but when i put on the Roll-Ez wheels it was very sticky, if that's a good word to use. So I've put back his wheels, but the main point of my post is to understand more about why this was the case. I've got Roll-Ez wheels now on several LGB German outline coaches, and they enhance the ride, run free but with a smooth and solid feel.

So comparing the Roll-Ez and Zenner wheels obviously the Roll-Ez are much heavier. But I now also notice that the Roll-Ez is visibly smaller in diameter too, visible in the first foto, I hope. Second foto compares with the LGB metal wheels that were on an RuBB coach I acquired and which i also exchanged for Roll-Ez. I this case the Roll-Ez is on the right. The LGB ones are slightly bigger but the difference is far less than with the Zenner ones.

So what's this all about then? Is Mr Kramer working to a smaller scale because most of his customers are US based? And why would diameter so affect the smooth running, or is it perhaps the big weight difference that affected it? Any other general experiences with Roll-Ez and European outline stock?

Attachments

• IMG_3607.JPG
    IMG_3607.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3608.JPG
    IMG_3608.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
First rule of fitting wheels, is check size. In the US we have several sizes, and I'll bet Al's wheels are a scale 33" in 1:29 .... the standard diameter for freight. Passenger cars are usually larger, 36" but I don't believe Al makes those... last time I checked his wheels were 1.119" on the treads, near but not on the fillet.

Also, look to see if the hub of the wheel is rubbing on something and also axle tip diameter and overall axle length.

Finally you need to double check back to back measurement.

Not all wheels are interchangeable.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Greg is correct on the issue of Roll EZ wheel hubs rubbing on the inside of the truck frame. I tried Al's wheels a few years ago. That's how I know.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Greg is correct on the issue of Roll EZ wheel hubs rubbing on the inside of the truck frame. I tried Al's wheels a few years ago. That's how I know.
Hm perhaps a couple of nylon washers on each axle each side may solve this problem, so long as the wheels themselves are not touching the Bogie Sideframes then they ought to revolve freely enough.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hm perhaps a couple of nylon washers on each axle each side may solve this problem, so long as the wheels themselves are not touching the Bogie Sideframes then they ought to revolve freely enough.

Surely if the 'hub' (centre of wheel?) is rubbing, then adding washers will jam things solid? :think::think:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

I found that the wheel hubs were indeed, rubbing on the inside of the side frames.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Surely if the 'hub' (centre of wheel?) is rubbing, then adding washers will jam things solid? :think::think:
Hm I think that the Roller Wheels May turn even in those circumstances, worth a try.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Not having seen these wheels close up, I would assume the axle is static, with a bearing as the hub on the axle to the wheel, so the centre part of the bearing should be static, ergo a small washer should only press on the static parts and move the moving parts away from the side frames.