RINCON RR ..............

hankbonaire

Registered
20 Jan 2021
bonaire
Best answers
Country flag
RINCON ........... named after the smallish village I live in on the Caribbean Island of Bonaire,
a Dutch municipality since 2010 and about 50 miles North of Venezuela.
The track plan attached is what I am proposing.
Basically, it will be an all passenger/ no freight operation, continuously running, G gauge DC.
No grades, no crossings and only 1 switch to negotiate with straight thru' for the mainline.
Layout will be under a covered yet open porch on the Leeward side of the house. North is straight up.Rincon RR.jpg
I have started making tables 96 x 24 x 42 inches high .......... no track down yet.
The only weather problem we have is Sahara sand which coats everything

Please take a look at the layout for suggestions etc.
Thank you.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a great plan, but access around it looks tight, or is it just the drawing that makes it look that way?

Reactions: 1 user

hankbonaire

Registered
20 Jan 2021
bonaire
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a great plan, but access around it looks tight, or is it just the drawing that makes it look that way?
ORANGE access 37 inches, MAGENTA 72, RED 25, BLUE 18, LIME is open walk on.Rincon RR.jpg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Certainly gives a nice long run in a limited space, will help with that sand if used very regularly.

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Had to google your location, dont get much SNOW there ! hee hee ...looks good, be careful of tunnels ! stuff gets stuck in them ! lol

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Had to google your location, dont get much SNOW there ! hee hee ...looks good, be careful of tunnels ! stuff gets stuck in them ! lol
Agree about the tunnels. Don't make them more than 2 arms lengths in case rolling stock gets stuck in the middle, unless you allow for access from above.

From what I can judge, it is about 7-8 feet long.

Interesting configuration of a folded loop to give a long run though....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I too have had to Google the location..
Look's very colourful.

If you are going to get a problem with sand, I suggest what we call a leaf-blower. - Use this before running..
Also, it might be an idea to use a small amount of graphite powder, rather than oil or grease, to lubricate axles and the like?

You may need to protect your stock from the sand (and sun) and possibly clean bearings, axles, etc. Regularly? - Sand in oil/grease will act like grinding-paste. Many of the models have axles running directly on plastics, which will wear easily.

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Possibly nasty poisonous things that bite in that area.

hankbonaire

Registered
20 Jan 2021
bonaire
Best answers
Country flag
Possibly nasty poisonous things that bite in that area.
Lionfish hurt something awful but they are delicious ............... remove the barbs carefully before serving. Great video ........... luvit.

hankbonaire

Registered
20 Jan 2021
bonaire
Best answers
Country flag
I too have had to Google the location..
Look's very colourful.

If you are going to get a problem with sand, I suggest what we call a leaf-blower. - Use this before running..
Also, it might be an idea to use a small amount of graphite powder, rather than oil or grease, to lubricate axles and the like?

You may need to protect your stock from the sand (and sun) and possibly clean bearings, axles, etc. Regularly? - Sand in oil/grease will act like grinding-paste. Many of the models have axles running directly on plastics, which will wear easily.

PhilP
Thank you for the graphite lubrication advice ............... I've been using electric shaver oil and grease.

hankbonaire

Registered
20 Jan 2021
bonaire
Best answers
Country flag
Agree about the tunnels. Don't make them more than 2 arms lengths in case rolling stock gets stuck in the middle, unless you allow for access from above.

From what I can judge, it is about 7-8 feet long.

Interesting configuration of a folded loop to give a long run though....
Long tunnels are indeed beyond arm's length so I will have hinged access above (cupla doors).

hankbonaire

Registered
20 Jan 2021
bonaire
Best answers
Country flag
Average year round temperature is 82 F

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user