RhB Coaches - Which Colour Red?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone know the closest colour match from Humbrol for RhB coaches please....

jimmytrains_0

Registered
16 Dec 2009
Ealing
Best answers
Country flag
i went to Hobbycraft when they had an art adviser in the art department area and had just had 3 d printed doors for my 3063 the colour was n't a direct match but it does fool the eye into a suitable blend and not a heavy contrast the colour is carmine red.

railaddict

Registered
18 May 2020
Belgium
Best answers
Country flag
According to someone on another forum, RhB bright red would be RAL 300. Hope this helps.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think you may mean RAL 3000. RAL 300 is purple. I have also seen RAL 3003 and 3020 mentioned. Here is RAL colour chart for red hues
RAL Red hues (RAL Classic) | RALcolorchart.com
Certainly to my eye RAL 3024 and 3026 would appear to be more in the frame the others either being too pink or dark to my eye. However as with all things colour it is all very subjective and dependant upon weathering, your eye and even the quality of the screen you are looking at samples on.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I think we need Parkdesigner Parkdesigner on the case here, he is the master of customising and painting RhB stock.
He mentions Army Painters Dragon Red quite a bit in his posts but best let him comment if he's listening.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hullo chaps!

I brought a Humbrol signal red brush on enamel for painting my N scale RhB BDt 3D kit, but I couldn't get an acceptable (to me) finish.

So I am about to strip this and repaint with Humbrol spray acrylic in Post Box red instead....

thumbnail_20200914_192203.jpg

railaddict

Registered
18 May 2020
Belgium
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, I meant RAL 3000

Parkdesigner

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Los Angeles, CA / Derbyshire, UK / Frankfurt, DE
Best answers
Country flag
Howdy gents!

Apologies for the delay... for my "close enough" solution for the RhB, I use The Army Painter Spray Paint: Color Primer Pure Red.
I find that this gets there in the end, though there are some notes.

Primarily, the undercoat / primer is important. (I know, primer ON primer?!)

For certain cars, just a pass (or two) of the color does fine. In rare cases I've had to spray an undercoat of either Testors Grey Primer or The Army Painter Dragon Red first, then the "Pure Red" as the second coat.

For my FO cars, I use the Army Painter Drago Red as the top colour. Same notes as above on undercoat.