Revolution Board Location In USA Trains GP-9

kajohnson9

Registered
24 Apr 2020
Uath
Best answers
Country flag
I have the Train Engineer Revolution board in a GP-9. After about 30-45 minutes of running, the board overheats and the engine shuts down. I understand the board will overheat at about 135 degrees. Does anyone have the ideal location of the board so it doesn't overheat? Or some way to keep the board cool? When the board was originally installed (I didn't install it), the engine ran fine, didn't overheat. After sending the engine in for another reason, apparently the board was moved and is now causing my overheat problem. I'm a bit hesitant to take the shell off until I understand the best place to put the board.
Any help and/or advice is very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Keith Johnson

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I currently have 4 TE boards 2 in dual motored machines and have never encountered these issues. Have you thought of having a chat with the last person who had it ‘in’?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you are confident that the last person who worked on the loco has not created a fault (trapped wiring, one motor running backwards or not at all) then I would recommend a small fan, to circulate air over the board.

I see you are in Utah?
What are your ambient temperatures, this time of year?
Assuming you are running outside, is your line in full-sun, or shade?

I had a model fail, after sitting in full-sun, here in the UK.

PhilP

kajohnson9

Registered
24 Apr 2020
Uath
Best answers
Country flag
a small fan.... will help a lot.... do you have the sound version or the non-sound version?

Greg
Thanks, Greg,
I have the TE board without sound, I use Phoenix for sound. Do you have any recommendation as to an acceptable fan? This is actually a frustrating problem.

kajohnson9

Registered
24 Apr 2020
Uath
Best answers
Country flag
I currently have 4 TE boards 2 in dual motored machines and have never encountered these issues. Have you thought of having a chat with the last person who had it ‘in’?
I have tried to go back and recall who did the move. I'm still searching.

kajohnson9

Registered
24 Apr 2020
Uath
Best answers
Country flag
If you are confident that the last person who worked on the loco has not created a fault (trapped wiring, one motor running backwards or not at all) then I would recommend a small fan, to circulate air over the board.

I see you are in Utah?
What are your ambient temperatures, this time of year?
Assuming you are running outside, is your line in full-sun, or shade?

I had a model fail, after sitting in full-sun, here in the UK.

PhilP
Yes, I am in southern Utah. Temperatures at this time of year is mid 70s to low 80s. And the layout is pretty much in the sun most of the day. And that may be the issue because for the first time, I had and overheat issue with a Climax. But for the GP-9, I still have the problem in the cooler months of winter. I may have to look into adding a fan.
Keith

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, USAT locos can draw big amps, but since you have a Revolution system (or have implied as much), you know the system can detect overcurrent and overheat and report to the throttle.

Since it takes a while, would be logical to assume that just running hard and cannot get rid of the heat quite fast enough.

You can find small cooling fans, ideally a 24v fan running off something less than 24v will do enough.

What battery voltage are you using?

try two small 12v fans in series:

and have one blowing across the board and one blowing out through the hood, notice the place for a speaker under one of the roof fans? Exhausting warm air will bring in cooler air, and light air motion over the board will do the trick.

Putting 2 in series will run them a bit slower... use less current... the fans are cheap.

Greg

kajohnson9

Registered
24 Apr 2020
Uath
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, USAT locos can draw big amps, but since you have a Revolution system (or have implied as much), you know the system can detect overcurrent and overheat and report to the throttle.

Since it takes a while, would be logical to assume that just running hard and cannot get rid of the heat quite fast enough.

You can find small cooling fans, ideally a 24v fan running off something less than 24v will do enough.

What battery voltage are you using?

try two small 12v fans in series:

and have one blowing across the board and one blowing out through the hood, notice the place for a speaker under one of the roof fans? Exhausting warm air will bring in cooler air, and light air motion over the board will do the trick.

Putting 2 in series will run them a bit slower... use less current... the fans are cheap.

Greg
Greg, thanks for the input. I will try the 2 fan approach. Hopefully, I can find room in the GP-9 (USA Trains) for the fans. And, yes, I have everything on TE Revolution with full 22V-24V to the track