Revok saying Hi

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all, and thankyou for having me here.

I'm a 62 year old guy who never outgrew toys. I have a shed with a permanent Scalextric layout and ceiling adorned with airfix planes, but it gets far too hot in summer. Unfortunately I can't leave doors or windows open cos my ultra destructive cat Rosie likes to go in and flatten all the carefully constructed scenery. Anyway, I like being outside and looking after the garden in the good weather, so a small outdoor railway seemed like a fun idea.

Heres how it looks at the moment. Not terribly adventurous compared to a lot of the tracks I've seen I must admit :)

Finally, I'd like to say thanks to all those who contribute to forums like this for all the knowledge they share, and enable others (like me) to get up to speed quickly.

Attachments

• DSCF5950.JPG
    DSCF5950.JPG
    859.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 3 users

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
Maybe not too adventurous but easy maintenance.... Honestly some folk must employ full time staff to keep their tracks in order.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Revok and welcome aboard. You're not unique, as I would venture to say that most of us here have never grown up.....:p.....Why not spring for a small air conditioner for your shed ? But then you wouldn't want to play outdoors. By the way, your small layout is very nicely done. Quality not quantity.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. That looks like a grand start.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, it would seem a cat is almost compulsory, certainly seeing some of the photos and vids.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
To quote Jimmy Buffett “I’m growing older but not up”.

Welcome.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Revok, just in time for today's total new look to the site!
Don't worry, none of us have ever grown up and never will if we have anything to say about it.... I think it's something to do with having a Y chromosome, at least that's the excuse I use to the Memsahib......
Love the layout pic, "small but beautifully formed", as the saying goes - as long as you've got somewhere to run your trains that passes the Smile Test, that's all you need!

Jon.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Growing up? Isn't that wot adults do?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome. What you need is a shed with bifold doors so you can let the occasional summer days in!
I hope to grow wiser as I grow older, which is not the same as growing up. :)

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hello again, and thank you for the warm welcome. Nice to hear from so many with similar views on (not) growing up.

To respond to a couple of points, yes the layout was always planned to be small and low maintenance... a feature of the garden rather than the garden taking second place to industrial quantities of rail. Though I do find myself pondering on ways to add just a wee bit more... :)

I like JohnS solution to my cats gaining entry to my shed, though I think I'll do the quick and dirty method of simply tacking mesh to the inside of the window frames. Fingers crossed that should do it.

Finally, since korm asked for pics of my Scalextric set up, heres couple from different angles. Hope you like them korm, and btw, I thoroughly enjoyed looking around your website.

Attachments

• s1.JPG
    s1.JPG
    589.9 KB · Views: 0
  • s2.JPG
    s2.JPG
    584.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Welcome aboard, Revok.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Revok.
I once bought an LGB car of a guy and he took me down to the back shed where there was a G scale layout on benches winding all throughout the shed. The amazing thing was that he had also suspended a multi lane slot car track perhaps 90cm wide from the ceiling by wires. The banked curves enabled you to see it up that high. It filled out the upper space. It was amazing how he managed to cram so much into a long double car garage.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Revok....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Revok!
Never got into Scalextric.. Looks like a very comfortable Man Cave?? :):envy:;)