reverse loop help

tel

fishkeeping,gardening,garden railway,looking after
30 Oct 2009
north yorkshire
Best answers
f95cbc90433a44f9a57684f3ad01d2c1.jpg
i would like the train to leave the engine shed follow the green arrows around the loop and return via the red arrows back to the engine shed,i have tried to show on the picture, the blue square shows where the track gets it power,i intend to use the lgb10151 for the loop,will i have to move the power conection,also will the lgb 10151 be compatable with the aristocraft basic engineer and where should i position them,any help would greatly appreciated, Tel (JakeTel Railway)

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
oh man,

u remind me why i had choosen battery power......

Its not that easy, beacause there ARE some tricky elements in.
I would choose this solution:

cut off the circuit on BOTH sides of the track so that u get two sections:

One section is where JUST green arrows are.
The other section is where the red arrows are.
Thisfore u have to build in a double-sided isolation at two isolation-places.

Connect the section where the green arrows are to your controler.
Connect the section with the red (and partially green) arrows to a polarisation-switch and then to the controler.

Operation will be like this:
You turn the pol.-switch to "outgoing" to get a general direction where u know that the trains run out of the shed while turning the controler..say "right".

The train will leave the shed, running the green/red section, turning right to the green section that is on the same polarity: the train runs on the green section.

While the train is on the green section, u switch the green/red section via pol.-switch to "incoming".
When the trains enters the green/red section, it will run into the shed while the controler is on "right".

Seems a bit complicated, but turning loops always are.

If u want to make it on its best, u have to make "blocks" that are polarisized each for every train that will enter it.
Quite some work and thinking to do....

For my suggestion u will just need 4 pieces of isolation connectors and a polarization switch.

Greetings

Frank

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
If you do use the LGB 10151 track pieces, then position as I've marked in your diagram below.

Note that the track with the arrow has to point towards the 'exit' route. This track piece has the diodes inside which detect a short and stop the train. You will then have to set the opposite direction on your controller, so that the train can continue onwards.

You will need to ensure that the length of track between the 10151 track pieces is longer than your largest loco, and, if you have wagons that pick up power for lights, then longer than the longest train.

The power feed position is fine. In fact, if required, it could go anywhere, except between the LGB 10151 pieces that make the reversing loop.

The LGB 10151 works fine with the Train Engineer; I was using one with my own LGB 10151 sets until earlier this year, when I went digital....

c6467a47902348079e5bbd80554bbdd1.jpg

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
If double isolating joiners were inserted into both legs of the first point out from the station, the station section could be switched to change the polarity. This could be done automatically using a changeover switch operated by the point (as supplied as an extra by LGB or others).
Sorry I cannot manage a drawing.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
dutchelm said:
If double isolating joiners were inserted into both legs of the first point out from the station, the station section could be switched to change the polarity. This could be done automatically using a changeover switch operated by the point (as supplied as an extra by LGB or others).
That's a good idea Mike!

If the point is motored then the polarity could be changed using a LGB 'type 2' switch attached to it.

I have amended the earlier diagram in yellow, and I can help with wiring the switch if Tel wants to use your idea....

e614e54244fa468a947abbd6cc70b28d.jpg

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
That's what I had in mind. Drive out onto the main line. Change the point & drive back without the need to stop. Polarity (& direction) of station section depends on setting of point.

craigrailinc

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Bonny Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
dutchelm said:
That's a good idea Mike!

If the point is motored then the polarity could be changed using a LGB 'type 2' switch attached to it.

I have amended the earlier diagram in yellow, and I can help with wiring the switch if Tel wants to use your idea....

images
I would agree leave the shed part so that polarity can be changed isolate both sides of the point. put in a reed switch on the curve on the left to a double pole double throw the reverse the poarity in the isolated shed section.

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
I'm not familiar with the LGB 10151 unit, so hope I'm not muddying the waters unecessarily, but would certainly suggest that you isolate the station area and track as far as the loop junction from the continuous "circle" routes, and use a polarity change -over switch for the whole terminus area. Isolating gaps will be needed just beyond the turnout where the route divides. You can then keep the train running on the circular route while the terminus polarity is changed. You can have dead sections around the terminus area, as long as they are fed from the reversing switch.

With the units placed as in Gizzy's first diagram, I think you'd need to stop the train on the section between the red squares, reverse polarity, then carry on.
Edit 20 April 2011
Spent a bit more time thinking about this. How many trains do you want out on the line at once (even if only one can be moving at any one time as there's only the one controller)? This has a bearing on isolating sections and where you place the main track feeds. It looks perfectly possible to divide the line up into several sections, which could be controlled by on/off switches in local sealable plasic boxes/inside lineside buildings; this with the Train Engineer would give you the freedom of walk-round control with several trains.

tel

30 Oct 2009
north yorkshire
Best answers
15514f59c51f4b379853c3815df04537.jpg
many thanks for all your help,i have just had a thought,if useing the lgb reverse loop set the train has to stop to change direction could this be done like my new drawing,stopping the train actualy in the station,would i have to isolate the outside track

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
tel said:
images
many thanks for all your help,i have just had a thought,if useing the lgb reverse loop set the train has to stop to change direction could this be done like my new drawing,stopping the train actualy in the station,would i have to isolate the outside track
Hullo Tel,
if you do as your diagram, using the LGB 10151 track set, it'll work fine and you won't need to isolate the outer track....

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
This has been said in previous posts but with different words, but if you go with the plan above I don't see why you need the LGB loop gizmo at all. If the point at the bottom is isolated from both station tracks and has an LGB polarity switch attached to the motor (or manual switch) the engine shed track will take correct polarity power from whichever station track it is pointing at. A lot less more straight forward IMHO. You may need to move the track feed to the far left of the diagram though.

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
I use a point motor with supplementary switch on top which is triggered by reed switches as the loco goes round, thus I have a fully automatic return loop system which then also switches points in one of the loops to send out alternating trains. One the circuit is sorted out its easy. The circuit I use was in the World of LGB book. This needs 2 point motors with supplementary switches plus several reed switches and of course magnets on your locos.

tel

30 Oct 2009
north yorkshire
Best answers
Re:reverse loop help(switch)

thanks again for your help,i like the idea of a polarity switch from mike,and i would be very grateful if gizzy could help with the wireing,where do i get a polarity switch,and what do they look like,i asume when the switch is connected to the manual points it makes it fully autmatic, Tel(JakeTelRailway)

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag

Just one thing to consider if you do use the loop set with the section by the halt; ensure the section that the train stops in is long enough to take the whole train, not just the locomotive. If you run any form of coach lighting and those coaches stop outside the section they will short the supply when it is reversed. Been there, done that :thumbdown:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

tel said:
thanks again for your help,i like the idea of a polarity switch from mike,and i would be very grateful if gizzy could help with the wireing,where do i get a polarity switch,and what do they look like,i asume when the switch is connected to the manual points it makes it fully autmatic, Tel(JakeTelRailway)
By polarity switch, I think most are refering to the LGB 12070 Type 2 switch that mounts onto the side of the point motor;

http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/lgb-12070-epl-supplementary-switch-type-2-383-p.asp

This unit cannot be attached to a manual point lever.

If you do not want to have the complexity of wiring a reverse loop, then the simplest solution is your plan A, i.e. the LGB 10151 Reverse Loop set, as this has no wiring involved what so ever! Especially as you are using a manual point lever with the spring action.

The best ideas always follow the KISS principle;

Keep it simple stupid.... :clap: