dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ian,as a visitor to Heathrow in my younger days and spending many hours on top of the Queens Building watching the now defunct BEA,BOAC,TWA,Pan Am 707`s VC10s and so on,there were these shuttles everywhere!!!!!There were also as I recall a single deck type with a raised rear section to maybe a twin deck,can`t remember ,we used to call them Airport Buses.
Lets go back 60 odd years,I found this the other day,I think its a Leyland Tiger but of course could be wrong,pic is at Mill Hill East tube station,the crew have gone for a cuppa with the station staff as they did and any passenger from other bus routes or the train could get on the bus and wait for departure.This type ran at the bottom of my road for years until replaced with RT`s,remember it well,twin crew with a conductor and now talking of the time before I even went to school,Inglis REME army depot in the Background is now a housing estate!!!!!!!1View attachment 280508
Just been looking at my well thumbed and not too well underlined abc London Transport Buses which shows me that was TD105, I only have one of them underlined TD54 JXC247.
image.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
We had the TDs at Kingston bus garage - the routes out to Esher, Cobham etc were operated by TDs and later RFs.

Reigate and the more country areas were covered by green (London Country) RTs.

The trolley buses went out to Tolworth and the Dittons - conductor's favourite announcement, 'Anyone want to dit on, anyone want to dit off.'

Thames Ditton - famously the home of AC cars. Once a humble business where one of my Grandfathers worked for a spell that made small pick-up type trucks - the name standing for Auto Carriers. Subsequently the manufacturer of three-wheeled cars for war-wounded invalids and sports cars such as the AC Ace which Carol Shelby got hold of and the rest is history :nod: :nod: :nod:

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Thames Ditton - famously the home of AC cars. Once a humble business where one of my Grandfathers worked for a spell that made small pick-up type trucks - the name standing for Auto Carriers. Subsequently the manufacturer of three-wheeled cars for war-wounded invalids and sports cars such as the AC Ace which Carol Shelby got hold of and the rest is history :nod: :nod: :nod:
Also famous for Celestion Loud Speakers

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep the Ditton range of hifi speakers .. I had a pair of big Ditton 44s many moons ago which, one night when me and the missus were playing Led Zep very very loud (our neighbours on both sides were away), completely blew their base cones...

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Yep the Ditton range of hifi speakers .. I had a pair of big Ditton 44s many moons ago which, one night when me and the missus were playing Led Zep very very loud (our neighbours on both sides were away), completely blew their base cones...
Strange to think that the long haired yobbos who used to hang about outside our local pub, doing stupid things on motorbikes, and listening to loud rock music, are now "respectable" gentle folk with grandchildren and pensions! And who moan about yobbos hanging around McDonalds

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Strange to think that the long haired yobbos who used to hang about outside our local pub, doing stupid things on motorbikes, and listening to loud rock music, are now "respectable" gentle folk with grandchildren and pensions! And who moan about yobbos hanging around McDonalds
Are you pointing the finger at me? I only did three laps of the dance floor on my Honda 750. I hadn't had a drink, honest officer. Been sitting outside most of the evening having a quiet smoke (?) !!!!!

Sorry, just realised where this is posted. Unintentional further thread drift.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's OK, Neil will bring us back on track soon, but I didn't know of Celestion and did a bit of a Google.

First factory was in Hampton Wick - famously on the Middlesex side of Kingston Bridge which provided for an extra half-hour of drinking time before the pubs closed.

Second factory was In London Road Kingston, and from memory had become a furniture showroom by the time I was a lad.

Third factory in Thames Ditton :nod::nod:

I was born in Kingston and went to school there - the school playing fields were in Molesey, and one route was through Thames Ditton, and across the railway line just outside Hampton Court station :nerd::nerd::nerd:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Oh yes this is a bus kit thread, almost forgot! Doing a super job though.

Reactions: 1 user

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just been looking at my well thumbed and not too well underlined abc London Transport Buses which shows me that was TD105, I only have one of them underlined TD54 JXC247.
View attachment 280541
I mentioned Airport Buses remembered from the past,I was thumbing through some information about sommat else and found this,the type I remember and thanks for the info on the single decker:clap:IMG_20210216_091951.jpg

Last edited:

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Great build Rio!....... now how is it going to fit in with the layout?... :D :D
No Mike, it won`t go on the railroad unless I can come up with a scale Queen Mary and a model of her berth in Long Beach,,,,,,;););););););):rofl::giggle:

As for Shelby Cobras,louud Led Zeppelin(or Sabbath) music,nothing better,mustn`t forget the cute little Mustangs with the Cobra badge on either?
P.S.I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!! bit further off the bus build and the next post is completion!
IMG_20210216_101947.jpg

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
No Mike, it won`t go on the railroad unless I can come up with a scale Queen Mary and a model of her berth in Long Beach,,,,,,;););););););):rofl::giggle:

As for Shelby Cobras,louud Led Zeppelin(or Sabbath) music,nothing better,mustn`t forget the cute little Mustangs with the Cobra badge on either?
P.S.I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!! bit further off the bus build and the next post is completion!
View attachment 280750
Bah humbug - that's just another one of your kits :p:p:p

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bah humbug - that's just another one of your kits :p:p:p
Nope,the only kit I have left is a `68 Dodge Charger,

Want one of those too!!!!!!!!!!!!:inlove:;);););)

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I mentioned Airport Buses remembered from the past,I was thumbing through some information about sommat else and found this,the type I remember and thanks for the info on the single decker:clap:View attachment 280749

Amversion of the AEC Regal would you believe. I remember having a ride on one from the West London Terminal to Heathrow with my mother, back in the mid 60's. I had not realised that this service, till researching after looking at this thread, that the service was operated by LT for BEA and its later incarnation BA. I suppose the clue is in the choice of buses - AEC products, which was owned by LT.

Someone mentioned the 1 1/2 deck configuration of the Regal shown. Why ? - the need to stow the passengers' baggage somewhere - over the engine and under the passengers. Wonderfull looking curiosities. Bit like the Greyhounds in the US . Did a little trip on one those too - SF - LA - San Antonio - Huston - New Orleans - Memphis - Kansas City - Grand Canyon - Flagstaff - SF. Well that's how I remember it nearly 40 years ago. Max

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
AEC products, which was owned by LT.
As a British Leyland (Bus and Truck Division) apprentice, we were taught the history of the organization, including the take over of AEC in the early '60s.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
As a British Leyland (Bus and Truck Division) apprentice, we were taught the history of the organization, including the take over of AEC in the early '60s.
My bus was a Bristol SC - built at Bristol and bodied by ECW in Lowestoft. When the new style logbooks (V5) were issued for historic vehicles it acquired the manufacturer's detail as British Leyland. It had never been near the place, but despite numerous objections and a formal complaint to DVLC (as it was then) they refused to budge, citing Bristol not being considered a recognised make/manufacturer and that all similar vehicles were to be included under the BL umbrella.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
My bus was a Bristol SC - built at Bristol and bodied by ECW in Lowestoft. When the new style logbooks (V5) were issued for historic vehicles it acquired the manufacturer's detail as British Leyland. It had never been near the place, but despite numerous objections and a formal complaint to DVLC (as it was then) they refused to budge, citing Bristol not being considered a recognised make/manufacturer and that all similar vehicles were to be included under the BL umbrella.

How dumb can they get? Eejits.