Return to the great indoors

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Even your Playmo figures look typically Swiss....

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Great photos, Dave, and good use of Playmobil .

In the fourth photo, is that some sort of manual uncoupler? I have a couple of pieces of track with a manual uncouple like so:

But I've never seen a piece similar to the oone in your photo. Is it a Dave creation?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Great photos, Dave, and good use of Playmobil .

In the fourth photo, is that some sort of manual uncoupler? I have a couple of pieces of track with a manual uncouple like so:

But I've never seen a piece similar to the one in your photo. Is it a Dave creation?
Thanks P playmofire It is just a standard LGB automatic uncoupler with the motor removed and an LGB manual switch in its place.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks JonD. I didn't think I'd ever see "Playmobil" and "fidelity" in the same sentence! :)

I have no pretence with regard to realistic scenery on my indoor layouts. The odd building, signals and other trackside furniture is as far as it goes. I greatly admire those that do that sort of thing and the results of their work but it's not for me. With this in mind football-headed stiff limbed miniature figures work very well! My only concession to reality has been to paint the blue policeman uniform black to make it look more like a railway official.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks JonD. I didn't think I'd ever see "Playmobil" and "fidelity" in the same sentence! :)

I have no pretence with regard to realistic scenery on my indoor layouts. The odd building, signals and other trackside furniture is as far as it goes. I greatly admire those that do that sort of thing and the results of their work but it's not for me. With this in mind football-headed stiff limbed miniature figures work very well! My only concession to reality has been to paint the blue policeman uniform black to make it look more like a railway official.
Ah you have forgotten this thread.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
One of the good things about having an indoor layout that isn't glued, nailed or concreted into place is that you can change it easily when you get bored. Here is my latest incarnation:

Untitled.jpg

I have gone for a terminus station with a (very short) run around with an interchange between German and Swiss narrow gauge, the Swiss being RhB under catenary. With a layout this size I can take it apart and put it together in a half day. I'm getting quite good at assembling catenary now! This layout is all R1, the R2/R3 is going to have to wait until I have time to reconfigure the shed.

The reed switches shown in blue trigger points 1 and 2 so that the RhB locos (with magnets underneath) stay on the track with overhead lines. I wrote up how to do this in another thread recently. The points reset after 30 seconds so the other German steam and diesel traffic can use the rest of the layout.

Trains have to be quite short - one 4 axle carriage or 2 x 2 axle - but plenty of operating and careful shunting required to perform the run-arounds. On the RhB line one loco brings the train into the station, another one comes to take it out again. Not very efficient but it's my railway. A few pictures below.

IMG_20200506_162820.jpgIMG_20200506_162913.jpgIMG_20200506_162939.jpgIMG_20200506_163016.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Great stuff, overhead with pans up!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Having one loco bring the train into the station and another take it out may not be efficient but I have come across an example where that was real life practice, although I can't remember where. The drill was that loco A brought the train into the station. Loco B was waiting on a spur siding and trundled out to couple up with the non-loco end of the train. Meanwhile loco A had been uncoupled and it due course loco B trundled off with the train, after which loco A toddled off to the spur siding to wait to repeat the process when the next train came in. At least you're doing this on an electric line; the line I read about was steam!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Breezing through your thread, I would like to compliment you on your work. Simple is certainly more manageable. I will keep that in mind as I build my "O" gauge Lionel post-war type layout in my attic in the not too distant future.

Since I also have a good sized collection of LGB trains, I am working on a design to include some of them on the indoor layout.

rhaetianfan

RhB (obviously) but otherwise any 'modern' locos
24 Oct 2009
Hamble
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good, Dave - plenty of operational challenge in a small space.

Now, if only you had hung onto the RhB ABe4/4, it would have simplified operations.... :)

M

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good, Dave - plenty of operational challenge in a small space.

Now, if only you had hung onto the RhB ABe4/4, it would have simplified operations.... :)

M
Yes I do regret selling that. One day when I have done my shed extension I will have more space to do one justice. :)

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Breezing through your thread, I would like to compliment you on your work. Simple is certainly more manageable. I will keep that in mind as I build my "O" gauge Lionel post-war type layout in my attic in the not too distant future.

Since I also have a good sized collection of LGB trains, I am working on a design to include some of them on the indoor layout.
Thanks Madman Madman I do like to keep it small and manageable as I am very prone to ripping it all up and starting again!

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting to see what is possible in a small (for G) space. My railway shed is 7' 6" across internally which looks to be the same as your own. At present it is still mostly storage but slowly I am cutting back on the various gauges I play with. The entrance is at one end and I have constructed a 2' deep work surface all the way round in a horseshoe. Once I manage to clear a bit more of the surface the idea is to have a moveable bridging section going from one side to the other to allow temporary circuits to be laid. They would always be loose lay and originally I was thinking I would alternate between my 50s and 60s Tri-ang OO, my Lima and Tri-ang Big Big O gauge and some of my other oddities like the various Faller running on 32mm track. Now I see that I can add in a nice little G scale layout occasionally. The moveable bridging section will slide to whatever position I want meaning the other dimension can be variable. Copying your plan (if I may!) I can place it at 6'. I am assuming your squares are a foot, if not I will have to do a rethink.

Paul

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
The squares are 300mm which is a foot give or take.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at your plan, have you thought about overhead on the full loop, then you could do a few circuits from the fiddle yard to the terminting line so that you feel like you have had a journey?

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the idea. In a previous incarnation of the layout (see post #40) I had a complete circuit of catenary, but I found it got in the way physically and visually so I'm keeping it to lines at the back of the layout for now. It is a bit frustrating not being able to let the electric locos have a spin, but with a layout this small compromise is the name of the game.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I've been experimenting with a "second layer" to my indoor layout to see if it fits in the vertical space. This doesn't go anywhere, it's just scenic. Ultimately the plan is to have a small circuit at that height, disappearing in and out of tunnels or behind "hills". The arches/bridges are 240mm high and the "walls" 300mm. I don't have space to connect the two layers with any feasible gradient, although I have pondered about having a short rack section between the levels, but that's for another day. The experimentation was also related to the build. My main baseboard is 9mm ply on 28mmx75mm bearers. I thought that might be a bit heavy on top so the upper layer was made with 6mm ply supported by 3mm ply "walls" so I could bend them into R1 curves. This is a bit flimsy so it needs bracing at regular intervals. Even so, although it will support the weight of locos, when they run it wobbles a bit, so I need to rethink the construction. But I think I have shown to myself that it can be done, just need to go back to the drawing board with the design.
IMG_20200623_152411 _2_.jpg