idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Presumably, the problem of anything 'fixed', in that corner, is the Tradesman's Entrance, to the shed? :think:
Correct, it is the entrance to the rear portion of the shed.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Cabinetry looks better built than our kitchen.
---Hutch
I think that's a compliment?
I do have the ability to cut wood in a straight line and square. It's probably my only craft skill. When I was at school 50 years ago we still had woodwork lessons. I don't remember much but the lessons on identifying face side and face edge, marking square lines, how to cut square and without splintering, were drummed in. For several lessons we were just given a piece of scrap timber and told to cut a piece off of a specified length and hand it to the teacher, until we got it right, usually after at least half a dozen rejections for various reasons. Boring at the time but never forgotten and it has served me well. I wish I had done metalwork as well but at the time it was deemed beneath me academically. It was assumed you would only do metalwork if you were going to work on a factory shop floor as a machinist. Short sighted but this was the 1960's.

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
I do have the ability to cut wood in a straight line and square. It's probably my only craft skill. When I was at school 50 years ago we still had woodwork lessons. I don't remember much but the lessons on identifying face side and face edge, marking square lines, how to cut square and without splintering, were drummed in. For several lessons we were just given a piece of scrap timber and told to cut a piece off of a specified length and hand it to the teacher, until we got it right, usually after at least half a dozen rejections for various reasons. Boring at the time but never forgotten and it has served me well. I wish I had done metalwork as well but at the time it was deemed beneath me academically. It was assumed you would only do metalwork if you were going to work on a factory shop floor as a machinist. Short sighted but this was the 1960's.
[/QUOT
p
Intended to be a compliment. Although the shelves can be used as steps for climbing by 200 lb adults, age has taken its toll on the looks.

---Hutch

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Latest iteration of track layout. Not much change, but I have added another headshunt top right, and added another fiddle yard siding. The ideas from Jon and Mike for a more elaborate fiddleyard were good, as was the sector plate, but I have decided to keep it simple and just have the two sidings.
Capture.JPG

The black filled in rectangle is an automatic decoupler, the black open rectangles are simple decouplers.

I am developing a backstory to the layout which I will add to the thread later.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I do have the ability to cut wood in a straight line and square.

Better get round here PDQ then :call::call::call:

On second thoughts ............................... :tmi::tmi::tmi:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Latest iteration of track layout. Not much change, but I have added another headshunt top right, and added another fiddle yard siding. The ideas from Jon and Mike for a more elaborate fiddleyard were good, as was the sector plate, but I have decided to keep it simple and just have the two sidings.
View attachment 257118

The black filled in rectangle is an automatic decoupler, the black open rectangles are simple decouplers.

I am developing a backstory to the layout which I will add to the thread later.

The basic oval and runaround reflects the track which came with Playmobil inter-city sets, my first PM set. I ran it for some time as standard but plus an internal siding which as a station, which gave oopions for some good running scenarios. If you make the right hand curve after the point and short straight a left hand curve immediately after the point, you can then get a longer siding for storage etc. without affecting the external footprint.

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Do you think you might be able to get a second level above the first and double your running space? Just a thought......and many of those have got me in trouble before now :)
Kev

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Do you think you might be able to get a second level above the first and double your running space? Just a thought......and many of those have got me in trouble before now :)
Kev

A Furka cogwheel to go with you new RhB set?

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Kev
I have thought about a second level but the shed has a pitched roof and there's not enough height before the pitch starts, and if you have it in the pitched roof there's no room for anything but an R1 or possibly R2 circle, and I would be forever banging my head on it. Which might knock some sense into it I suppose! :)

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have thought about a second level but the shed has a pitched roof and there's not enough height before the pitch starts, and if you have it in the pitched roof there's no room for anything but an R1 or possibly R2 circle, and I would be forever banging my head on it. Which might knock some sense into it I suppose! :)
Probably a bit late for you now, but if you mount the Shed atop of a row of Breeze Block you get a critical additional 8 inches or so of height. You do need to faff around with the doors but that extra height is well worthwhile.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Probably a bit late for you now, but if you mount the Shed atop of a row of Breeze Block you get a critical additional 8 inches or so of height. You do need to faff around with the doors but that extra height is well worthwhile.
Nice idea for future shed builds but a bit hard to apply retrospectively! :) You would have to be careful about UK rules on garden building height (2.4m).

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice idea for future shed builds but a bit hard to apply retrospectively! :) You would have to be careful about UK rules on garden building height (2.4m).
Actually as ever the rules are somewhat more complex, but you can go up to 4m in certain circumstances. Note following quote:-
  • The building is to be placed more than 2.0m from the boundary of the property. If this is the case, a single storey garden building can have a maximum eave height of 2.5m, which is a maximum overall height of 4.0m for a dual-pitched roof and 3.0m maximum overall height for a pent roofed building. If you would like the overall height to be taller than these roof heights, you will need to apply for planning permission.
The 2m from a boundary is the daft one, pretty well most gardens in Modern Built houses would have no place for a Shed! Or it would dominate what Garden there is.

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
The 2m from a boundary is the daft one, pretty well most gardens in Modern Built houses would have no place for a Shed! Or it would dominate what Garden there is.

I wish my neighbour at the bottom of the garden had complied with that. He built his new shed dead on the boundary with an un-guttered single pitch roof.
Guess where all the water goes...
Correct...
Straight into the area behind my shed (2.6M from the boundary.) where my fiddle yard / loco depot was intended to go.
I guess I may have to fit some guttering to the back of his shed and direct the water back over his side.

Last edited:

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Actually as ever the rules are somewhat more complex, but you can go up to 4m in certain circumstances. Note following quote:-
  • The building is to be placed more than 2.0m from the boundary of the property. If this is the case, a single storey garden building can have a maximum eave height of 2.5m, which is a maximum overall height of 4.0m for a dual-pitched roof and 3.0m maximum overall height for a pent roofed building. If you would like the overall height to be taller than these roof heights, you will need to apply for planning permission.

A shed or garage can go right up to the boundary as long as its no taller than 2.4M its its over 2M from the boundary it can go up to 4M as per details on planning portal.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
That is also my understanding. As mentioned earlier as most people's gardens in modern houses are not big enough to accommodate a 2m boundary all round you are in general constrained to 2.4m height. I too have a neighbour who flouted this and built a 3.5m edifice right up to my fence line. I did ask him how he planned to maintain it given that 3 of the 4 walls were on other people's boundaries. He hadn't thought of that. Luckily it was on the north side so no loss of sunlight to me, and the water runoff went the other side. His neighbour on the other side complained to the council but all that happened was he got retrospective permission.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
FWIW here is the backstory for the layout, to justify having both DR and RhB trains on the same track! It takes the fiction:fact ratio to epic proportions, somewhere between journalist and politician speak.

Deutsche Reichsbahn and Rhaetian Bahn Interchange
The German / Swiss border is along the Upper Rhine and Lake Constance. Germany is to the North of the Rhine except for the Swiss Canton of Schaffhausen near the lake. Interestingly there is a German enclave (Büsingen am Hochrhein) inside this Canton.

To the East of Schaffhausen is the sleepy German town of Gailingen (Gailingen am Hochrhein) and just over the Rhine the larger Swiss town of Diessenhofen, with a connecting bridge between them. Diessenhofen has a through station served by trains from Winterthur.

See Germany–Switzerland border - Wikipedia for more details.

<fiction>

This much is true. It is now imagined that the Rhaetian Bahn extended northwards to the line through Diessenhofen, and that Deutsche Reichsbahn 750mm narrow gauge network extended South to the Swiss border.

It is further imagined that a small branch line across the Rhine from Diessenhofen to neighbouring Gailingen was needed, to facilitate transfer of passenger and goods to the German narrow-gauge network. As the bridge over the Rhine at this point was not strong enough for standard gauge size trains, the 1m gauge Rhaetian Bahn was chosen.

Due to space constraints at the Gailingen there was no room for a new line or platforms, so some track in the station was dual gauged and electrified. Details of the old and new track plans at Gailingen are shown below.
plan.PNG
Before the electrification was complete, steam locomotive services were run from the Swiss side, and these are still retained until further electric locomotives can be acquired. The German side is mostly steam locomotives with diesel used on occasions. The trains are mostly mixed passenger and goods, but during the day an hourly passenger only service is run. Passenger services are provided for workers and schoolchildren at the start and end of weekdays, with some tourist services during the day and weekends. Goods are mostly general goods including parcels, but some timber, milk and occasionally livestock are carried over the border.

</fiction>

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Baseboard built, track layed, point motors wired up, ready to go. Seen here RhB Heidi uncoupled from mixed train.
IMG_20191013_152512.jpg

Still waiting for catenary wire. I am planning some low relief station buildings against the wall.

The siding in the foreground is too small to be much use but it will double as a programming track.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Latest track iteration, probably won't be the last - I'm thinking of moving the left hand point anticlockwise to make the passing loop a bit longer, and move the station building to be inside the circle. BTW both points on the passing loop are "sprung" so the top loop is left to right and the bottom right to left. Makes it easier to for my grandchildren (and me) to play trains without too much chance of collisions. As mentioned in another thread the catenary is now up all round, and I have a station building in the form of the POLA Susch station which is an excellent model of stations found on the Engadine line. Squares are 300mm.
Capture.JPG

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
As it was sleeting outside this morning, I took some pictures of my indoor homage to RhB layout.

IMG_20200227_110851a.jpg
Heidi #11 waiting for the off. Man has been told to finish his beer before getting on board. He'll probably wait for the next one.

IMG_20200227_111238a.jpg
Full speed (25 kmph scale) round the bend

IMG_20200227_111243e.jpg
Hiker waiting at the crossing for the train to pass

IMG_20200227_111507b.jpg
Then along comes another, Ge 2/4 #201

IMG_20200227_111719.jpg
Slowing down to allow photographs - very kind.

IMG_20200227_112936b.jpg
Gea 2/4 "flat-iron" #211 on battery power doing a bit of shunting in the Susch sidings.