idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
As my outdoor garden railway needs have been met with my 5" gauge Circle Line (see https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/land-grab.311743/) time to turn to my indoor layout as autumn is not far away, if not here, meteorologically speaking. I had to dismantle my old indoor layout and box up my rolling stock in order to empty and move my shed to make way for the Circle Line. Rather than put my old baseboard back, which was a rather massive and unwieldy MDF construction which had grown "organically" over the years, I thought I would build the new one from more manageable modules which I could bolt together, and make construction and any future dismantling much easier.

I had asked in another thread if there were any G scale module standards, and after a lot of discussion the short answer is no, but the 16mm Association standards Modular Layout Standards - Association of 16mm Narrow Gauge Modellers are not a bad model to work from, which I have as far as possible. I'm not intending to make the layout portable, but having modules no longer than 1200mm (4ft) makes it all more manageable in the small space I have.

The usable space in my shed is about 2.3m x 2.9m (8ft x 10ft) but that has to include space for me to sit and work at my desk, and access to the rear portion of the shed where all the usual garden shed stuff is stored. So not much room to play with.

I have gone for 9 mm plywood baseboard this time rather than MDF, with 20mm x 67mm redwood bearers. That gives 76mm baseboard depth including top surface (9mm + 67mm). I got a local wood mill to cut the plywood panels to make sure the sides were square and straight. The modules are bolted together with M6 bolts and 6mm wing nuts and washers. Here is the result so far:

IMG_20190904_191424.jpg

The front panel lifts out so I can get to the rest of the layout without ducking under, which was doing my back in on my old layout.

The layout is based on 150mm spacings (using 16mm Association standards mentioned earlier) for track and module sizes.
As the space is very small R1 curves and points are the standard. I need to have a continuous loop so layout design is limited. This is what I have come up with. The pink lines are the baseboard module joins.
Untitled.jpg

It will be nice to get some track down and play trains, I'm getting G scale cold turkey! Once I am happy with the layout operationally I will fix it down with some cork underlay, as I suspect plywood might be a bit noisy compared to MDF.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
As my outdoor garden railway needs have been met with my 5" gauge Circle Line (see https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/land-grab.311743/) time to turn to my indoor layout as autumn is not far away, if not here, meteorologically speaking. I had to dismantle my old indoor layout and box up my rolling stock in order to empty and move my shed to make way for the Circle Line. Rather than put my old baseboard back, which was a rather massive and unwieldy MDF construction which had grown "organically" over the years, I thought I would build the new one from more manageable modules which I could bolt together, and make construction and any future dismantling much easier.

I had asked in another thread if there were any G scale module standards, and after a lot of discussion the short answer is no, but the 16mm Association standards Modular Layout Standards - Association of 16mm Narrow Gauge Modellers are not a bad model to work from, which I have as far as possible. I'm not intending to make the layout portable, but having modules no longer than 1200mm (4ft) makes it all more manageable in the small space I have.

The usable space in my shed is about 2.3m x 2.9m (8ft x 10ft) but that has to include space for me to sit and work at my desk, and access to the rear portion of the shed where all the usual garden shed stuff is stored. So not much room to play with.

I have gone for 9 mm plywood baseboard this time rather than MDF, with 20mm x 67mm redwood bearers. That gives 76mm baseboard depth including top surface (9mm + 67mm). I got a local wood mill to cut the plywood panels to make sure the sides were square and straight. The modules are bolted together with M6 bolts and 6mm wing nuts and washers. Here is the result so far:

View attachment 256684

The front panel lifts out so I can get to the rest of the layout without ducking under, which was doing my back in on my old layout.

The layout is based on 150mm spacings (using 16mm Association standards mentioned earlier) for track and module sizes.
As the space is very small R1 curves and points are the standard. I need to have a continuous loop so layout design is limited. This is what I have come up with. The pink lines are the baseboard module joins.
View attachment 256685

It will be nice to get some track down and play trains, I'm getting G scale cold turkey! Once I am happy with the layout operationally I will fix it down with some cork underlay, as I suspect plywood might be a bit noisy compared to MDF.
Blimey Dave, that's posh - a shed with a back door and a front door.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
An interesting layout plan, Dave, allowing round and roound and end-to-end running, plus a runaround. Good thinking.

Reactions: 1 user

Adam1989

Registered
11 Mar 2018
Calne wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Nice to see you have started the rebuild dave :clap:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting use of the space..

Can you explain the 'Fiddle Yard' a little more please? - Doesn't look like much fiddling, from the diagram?? :think:

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Cabinetry looks better built than our kitchen.
---Hutch

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
DON'T! mention kitchens!! :eek::eek::lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:

SW *really* wants me to finish ours.. - I 'only' started it 32 year's ago! :rolleyes::shake::shake:
I think it is at a stage it would need a Madman to sort out the problems. :think::giggle::giggle:

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
DON'T! mention kitchens!! :eek::eek::lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:

SW *really* wants me to finish ours.. - I 'only' started it 32 year's ago! :rolleyes::shake::shake:
I think it is at a stage it would need a Madman to sort out the problems. :think::giggle::giggle:

We are only at the 15 year mark on ours.
---Hutch

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting use of the space..

Can you explain the 'Fiddle Yard' a little more please? - Doesn't look like much fiddling, from the diagram?? :think:
You're right Phil, one fairly short straight length of track does not a fiddleyard make. I am pondering whether to use points or some kind of manual traverser to have multiple tracks in a small space.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You're right Phil, one fairly short straight length of track does not a fiddleyard make. I am pondering whether to use points or some kind of manual traverser to have multiple tracks in a small space.

A traverser would need a fair bit of space? - Wouldn't you end-up with all the storage-roads on a (larger) removable section??

Would a sector-plate possibly make better use of the space, perhaps? :think: :nerd:

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestions Phil. Yes, yes and yes to your questions. The sector plate is probably the most effective space wise. Still pondering!

Today I added a long shelf above the right hand baseboard to hold all the empty red boxes (or will be empty) that are currently cluttering up the floor.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Have you thought about the cassette system? Easy way change trains, and with sector plates think about the pivot carefully, as by moving it around you might gain extra space

Dan

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
With a small layout like this less is certainly more with what you have on Track. Cassettes May work but with G can be quite heavy and awkward to move around safely. Even on the indicated portion a length of 3ft is suggested. Quite unwieldy. Perhaps a second siding with Shelves above may be a better bet aspecially if the removable bit flopped over to be out of the way with hinges, thise shelves above the Fiddle would take care of stock that can be swooped about. Groves routed into the Shelves at Gauge will help keep things in place. If you do not have a Router then any spare Straights can serve on the Shelves.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the ideas guys, much to ponder. As Jon says I think cassettes might be a bit heavy and I don't have much room to maneuver in that corner of the shed.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
How about something along the lines of a 'dumb waiter'? Set at spacings of around 9" would give you four 3' storage roads if your baseboard level is at 36" and requiring a similar headroom above datum. No stock to be handled - just the vertical function to be devised. Still, a man of your calibre,.............

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Presumably, the problem of anything 'fixed', in that corner, is the Tradesman's Entrance, to the shed? :think:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Presumably, the problem of anything 'fixed', in that corner, is the Tradesman's Entrance, to the shed? :think:
Mount the contraption within a framework made of something like Dexion and put castors on the bottom so it can be wheeled out of the way when required? With careful planning and considerable thought you could come up with a unit that would slide under the baseboard when not in use - it doesn't have to be 6' tall all the time.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A 2 Track Wide Train Elevator May work for you depending on height may get 3 lifts as the first one would need to bring things up to Track Height if mounted on Wheels to stow beneath the Layout. Would need to be quite robustly Built for 6 lines io G Stock, even at only around 2-3 feet long. You could then loose that removable section and most of the ‘Fiddle Yard’ as shown on your plan.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
We are only at the 15 year mark on ours.
---Hutch

Did I hear kitchens ? I'm about to start on the restoration of ours. New doors and some new cabinets. Just got home with the new doors and cabinets from the cabinet maker, this morning. He did a smashing job. Now it's my turn to install them.