Restoring a Pendlebury church

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
I got a real bargain at Merstham. It's a ready made one of these and only cost £10:

http://www.pendleburymodels.com/villagechurch.html

The tower roof is missing (not a problem to make a new one) but the 2 part epoxy resin that the original builder used has become very weak with age. Most of it fell apart with just slight pressure while I was washing it, so I've got to re-build the thing :(

I'm not too sure of the best way to go about re-building it and wondered if anyone has restored a resin kit who could give me some 'do's' and 'don'ts' when I start putting it back together?

Also, anyone know where I can get some 'stained glass' effect for the windows?

Cheers
Tom

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Old Tom said:
I'm not too sure of the best way to go about re-building it and wondered if anyone has restored a resin kit who could give me some 'do's' and 'don'ts' when I start putting it back together?

I was going to suggest two-part epoxy. Can only assume that if the original fell apart the builder must have got the mix wrong. Some people suggest Superglue for resin but I've not found it successful for larger pieces of resin such as in a building kit - but that's just personal experience. The advantage of Superglue is the speed with which it sets - especially of you use an accelerator spray. With epoxy you need to hold everything together while it sets. I used string tightened by twisting lolly sticks. Not very elegant but cheap and effective:

IMG_2680.JPG

You could try sending a PM to Stockers (Alan) on this forum as he runs Pendlebury. He'd advise you on the best approach for his models - and he'd probably sell you a new roof if you want an original.

There's more about my experiences of constructing resin buildingshttp://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-i-assembled-station-buildings.html < Link To on my blog (but these weren't Pendlebury - sorry Alan!)

Old Tom said:
Also, anyone know where I can get some 'stained glass' effect for the windows?

I'd suggest looking on websites for those supplying equipment for dolls houses - eg

http://www.dijon.co.uk/shop/browse.html?cat=81

Not found any designed specifically for churches but you can make your own

http://www.dollshouseforum.com/forum/accessories/6489-stained-glass-tutorial.html

Rik

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
When gluing resin kits firstly wash the resin well. I use sugar soap as it has no silicon additives like washing up liquid.

Then i roughen the areas of the resin to be glued with a craft knife - score lots of lines.

I use 2 part epoxy for the glue, with spots of superglue to tack the join in place - you then don't need to use anything to hold the join together while the epoxy sets.

For some resin kits like the Andel coaches the epoxy doesn't always work well, so i then apply superglue to the joint as well (after the epoxy has set hard).

For buildings I then re-inforce the joint with ISOPON P38 car filler and the expanded aluminium mesh, all applied liberally to the inside of the join.

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Excellent helpful replies (as usual :clap: )

Thanks lads.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Doug said:
I use 2 part epoxy for the glue, with spots of superglue to tack the join in place - you then don't need to use anything to hold the join together while the epoxy sets.

For buildings I then re-inforce the joint with ISOPON P38 car filler and the expanded aluminium mesh, all applied liberally to the inside of the join.
Some nice ideas, Doug. Not thought of using Superglue to tack it together - neat!

I've not had any problems (yet) with epoxied joints coming apart - but I agree that the more reinforcement the better, particularly given our climate

Rik

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
I found out to my cost that large resin buildings can warp and flex a bit over time so I would suggest using an adhesive with some flex in it such as silicone.

The picture shows what happened to my GRS resin station building. I bought it ready assembled - held together with clear silicone adhesive. After a few years the roof started to warp and a couple of other joints started to come apart. I fixed it together again using 'no nails' adhesive which sticks the stuff very well. Too well, it turned out, because some days later I came out to find that the building had literally exploded, the resin panels being weaker than the joints. At first I suspected vandalism or an aerial strike from an errant football, but it seems the stresses were just too strong.

I don't know if anyone else has had similar experience but here is the photographic evidence....
3f33b16b471b4dbcb813b6736763e4eb.jpg

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I saw the old church at Merstham. A bargain at £10. I use thick super glue and plenty of it - to fill the joints fully. Can take a while to set on resin so an accelerator is useful. Inside of joints can be reinforced with silicon or frame sealant.
I have found that grab adhesives such as 'no more nails' do not bond very well, the joint seems brittle.
Never heard of a building destrying itself due to internal stress - thats a new one on me. I have to say I suspect the football.