Replacing the LGB starter set controller... advice please!

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Many of you will be familiar with my railway, and it's development since December last year. It's a flat line, no real gradient at all with a minimum R2 at the apex of the end corners. Despite moving into the garden we are still operating with the original LGB starter set controller with no problems - it's the one with a seperate transformer - as the line is only short and until recently most of my stock was single motor.

We do have a Bachmann Shay (with three motors and sound) that works fine on the controller - but the recent purchase of an LGB 2095 has me thinking it's time to upgrade.

Although the Shay and my U-tank are both digital, my Stainz, 2095, Frank S and Davenport are not... so I intend to stay Analog, keeping the U-tank as digital incase I visit other lines that don't have analog capability.

So two questions...
1) Will the starter set controller be man enough to run my 2095 this weekend or will I be dissapointed? (I don't mind if I can't run it for hours and hours but short (20 minutes) runs would be nice!

2) I've read and searched on the forum for my options, and having visited Bruce's line and seen his Helmsman I'm narrowed down to two options... At present I've narrowed it down to either the Helmsman for about £100 and rated at 4.5A, or the Gaugemaster at £72, rated at 2.5A. Honest opinions of both and whether the extra umph is worth the cash - I might even stretch to the wired handheld Helmsman, what are people's experience of the reliability of the wired connection?

Thanks guys!!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
jameshilton said:
So two questions...
1) Will the starter set controller be man enough to run my 2095 this weekend or will I be dissapointed? (I don't mind if I can't run it for hours and hours but short (20 minutes) runs would be nice!

Provided your 2095's motors are in reasonable condition, the answer should be "yes". Together they should take under 1 amp and, therefore, your existing controller will be OK. If you find the 2095 is causing the overload to trip on the starter set controller, it would be a good idea to check the amps being drawn by the 2095.

jameshilton said:
2) I've read and searched on the forum for my options, and having visited Bruce's line and seen his Helmsman I'm narrowed down to two options... At present I've narrowed it down to either the Helmsman for about £100 and rated at 4.5A, or the Gaugemaster at £72, rated at 2.5A. Honest opinions of both and whether the extra umph is worth the cash - I might even stretch to the wired handheld Helmsman, what are people's experience of the reliability of the wired connection?

Spend the extra and buy a Helmsman. I had a Gaugemaster controller (5 amp version) on my previous layout. While it would indeed let 5 amps be drawn from it, the voltage at high current draw dropped noticeably, effectively making the maximum amps rather lower.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
There is another option....Aristocraft/Crest Train Engineer. Although a more expensive outlay for the transmitter and receiver system plus any amp transformer (the receiver can supply up to 10amps running through it at up to 23 volts).
This would allow you to control the analogue line from anywhere you wish using the hand held transmitter. The transmitter can also control more power receivers if you expanded later and also it can control accessory and point receivers that can in turn control many points, lights, signals etc.
I admit that it is a bit more to outlay up front (receiver/transmitter bundles go for about £70 -110 used), together with a transformer of your choice BUT the freedom to control from where ever you are wirelessly is a real bonus and they are easy to set up. There are even recivers that can fit in locos so that indivudual trains can be controlled separately whilst running on the same track (a little bit like the effect of dcc!).

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I have a Gaugemaster transformer (with Train Engineer as per Mike's post), but I would go for the Helmsann without hesitation.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi James,

If you aren't hauling much it will run fine. For a while I had a shuttle unit that cut out at an amp, and I could run White Pass LGB Diesels with a short train at a sensible speed without tripping.

I went for the helmsman, it is very well made and. I have a large loop and check out the train running at 4.20 on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6xjUum3Vcs that is on the helmsman- but i am not sure that is your cup of tea!

I had the gauge master and found it wasn't really man enough- I got that with my first small loop.

However if 2095 on that flat with a normal length train is a big as you'll ever go the gaugemaster will be ample.

Ian

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
There is another option....Aristocraft/Crest Train Engineer. <snip> There are even recivers that can fit in locos so that indivudual trains can be controlled separately whilst running on the same track (a little bit like the effect of dcc!).
There are two of the older Train Engineer systems, one for 27MHz, the other for 75MHz.
Only the 27MHz system is legal in the U.K. as 75MHz is, I believe, allocated to aviation/emergency services use.
Sadly the small on board receivers for 27MHz have been out of production for about a decade, but the 75MHz ones are still available for use in countries that permit their use.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Chaps - this is wonderful, thanks for all the advice (and the good news that I can expect to run my new locomotive this weekend). The idea of 'hand held wireless' is appealing... Looking at Dragon G-scale it looks like £189.99 for the handheld and receiver, I presume I'd then need a transformer? (another £50) taking us over £200...

Hmmm - it feels like the Helmsman is the right choice, as I say I'd consider the wired remote if people's experience with this are positive? One question - does the train keep going at the same speed if you accidently unplug the remote?

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes it is unfortunate that the 27mhz 55490 loco mount receiver has been discontunued (they do come up on US ebay from time to time). The new one 55491 works at 75mhz but can be retrofitted with a part that allows it to operate in the 27 Mhzband. This is just an RF chip and is about £15.

Anyway, James, you may not be going the loco mount route anyway so a Helmsman transformer linked up to a TE track based system would be a good solution....providing the outlay is okay!

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I would go for a used set as they are a good deal cheaper!
And yes you would need to add a transformer.
I use the Aristocraft 13 amp at 23 volt jobbie as it can work at 12, 18 (15amps) and 23 volts and has plenty of welly for big lash-ups. I got it when I started so that it could take on any developments that I asked of it.
I have a 'back-up' set of 13 amp transformer, receiver and transmitter which I have kept 'just in case' but have never needed as the equipment has done really well it so I might be persuaded to off load it.......

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mike - I appreciate a used set would be cheaper, but I presume not then be covered by any warranty. How do these radio systems age? Are they still reliable second hand? As electronic devices they're subject to basically 'random' failure - do they become harder to repair due to obsolete parts if you go for older units?

I also notice they do a new 2.4Ghz system?

I'll do some thinking (whilst playing trains) this weekend and mull things over.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
jameshilton said:
Thanks Mike - I appreciate a used set would be cheaper, but I presume not then be covered by any warranty. How do these radio systems age? Are they still reliable second hand? As electronic devices they're subject to basically 'random' failure - do they become harder to repair due to obsolete parts if you go for older units?

I also notice they do a new 2.4Ghz system?

I'll do some thinking (whilst playing trains) this weekend and mull things over.
I know someone who uses the new system (the Revolution) and, although it sounds really good, in reality I've not been impressed. Just my personal opinion.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
I know someone who uses the new system (the Revolution) and, although it sounds really good, in reality I've not been impressed. Just my personal opinion.
Yes Mel, and the problem is also that you have to 'chip' every loco! That would cost a bit of a bundle here. Plain ol' TE is good enough for me....until I go over to the ........dark side.......oh dear, I can hear a strange deep breathing sound.............

James. I have had one problem with my TE in 5 years and it was down to the fact that I had left the receivers out all through one winter. Corrosion had set in on one receiver board and caused a 'dry' contact. So it was my fault not the TE's. Everything else has been just dandy....oh no...why have I said that?....tempt fate and you get bitten!!

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
beavercreek said:
yb281 said:
Yes Mel, and the problem is also that you have to 'chip' every loco!
Even worse, they are not compatible with any other system. So when this chap has an open day no-one else can bring stock to run and he can't run his stuff on other railways. Not for me thanks.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
And catering to allow visitors to run is important. catering pork pies is even more so.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
CoggesRailway said:
And catering to allow visitors to run is important. catering pork pies is even more so.
Have 5 points sir. :rofl::rofl:

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
i did it in another way.
instead of upgrading i bought more small powerpacks.

as i never have one train following another very close, i decided, i could separate the layout in sections, that hold just one train at a time.
that way the very cheap starterpack transformers for indoors are good enough for my trains.
(mostly two motors, like in a LGB 2017 or a Stainz with a powered tender)
i currently have 12 small transformers (LGB, Playmobil and others of 1 Amp or less)

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Having the lead may help you remember to bring it in after , the TE hand set is not water proof :rofl:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
CoggesRailway said:

Damn right! If it's a choice between new transformer and pork pies, this is the way to go:
fc01e0020f1b408fb37d88f9b69e91ad.jpg