Replacements for yellow isolating track joiners.

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone come with a homemade idea on track joiners that would isolate a track section other than those yellow ones from LGB? Thanks Mike

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think Accucraft are black ;);)

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your replies, I was hoping for some homemade ideas.

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Best answers
Country flag
Small plastic I beams in parallel glued to a flat base can do it, but strictly “light duty”.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Or perhaps a take of Massoth with a 30/40 thou Plasticard created one with a digit to stop Rails joining and nuts n bolts to hold to rail. Not the best of sketches but I think you should get the concept. Sort of like a Massoth Isolating Track Clamp.
20FFC7D3-FC3C-44E5-A73E-52620F88AFA3.png

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
afterthought:
you could get somebody with a 3D printer, to make some for you. the printfile is for free on thingyverse.

as this forum does not accept my pics, here a link for opening: http://kormsen.info/specials/bilder/3d07.JPG

(i prefer the first method. the material is and stays elastic. the 3D printed joiners might break under stress)

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I would just go with the Massoth ones. They're strong, not that expensive at around $6.50 a pair or $30 for 5 pair and very effective at keeping the rails together. Plus they come with tabs if you want to attach wires to the rails. This is one of those things I wont try to hobble - it's just not worth the effort.

Phil S.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
What is the problem with the yellow LGB ones? The colour? On new/newish track it probably won't show up all that much. On older track, does it matter?

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
The expression, "spoiling the ship for a ha'penny worth of tar", comes to mind :D Think of how much you have invested in the infrastructure and rolling stock for your line and then look at the cost for track insulators as proportion of that. Bit of a no brainer unless creating every element from scratch is your thing. Sorry if I'm making an assumption but I can see no other reason for insisting on "home made" other than as mentioned or lack of availability/ability to source said items for some reason :) Max

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I would concur on using the Massoth ones - black plastic (nylon?), hence much less visually obtrusive than the yellow LGB ones, and a good solid screw fitment as opposed to the very loose fit of the LGB type. As others have said above, unless there is a really specific reason for wanting to make something yourself that we've all missed, it would really seem to be a false economy....?

Jon.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The Massoth ones also come with electrical ring terminals that attach via the 2 screws which can be used to wire up the isolated section etc.
They are much nicer looking compared to the LGB yellow bricks. :nod:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think it's probably not worth the effort - it's one of these things that, for obvious reasons, you want just right, so forget the expense and splash out :party::party::party:

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the great idea's. Yes the yellow color was a negative for me, but now thanks to you all, I know of other options.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Paint, thats the ticket

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
I find the yellow to be helpful to see the circuit when switching from a distance, especially 10 to 15' awayold layout diaghram.JPG

Emartin

Registered
5 Jan 2018
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone come with a homemade idea on track joiners that would isolate a track section other than those yellow ones from LGB? Thanks Mike
Good morning, if you have a 3D printer you can print your own, I have attached the Thingiverse file by "glatour" to do this. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Insulation_rail_joiner_for_LGB_track.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 0