Replacement pads for LGB 5005 Track Cleaning Attachment

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hello
I have one of the LGB track cleaning attachments fitted to the underside of a wagon as per the picture. The pads need replacing and I wonder if any one had any ideas as to what to use and how to attach them without buying the LGB ones. I am sure I saw on here an alternative and cheaper option.

BillIMG_5270.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hello
I have one of the LGB track cleaning attachments fitted to the underside of a wagon as per the picture. The pads need replacing and I wonder if any one had any ideas as to what to use and how to attach them without buying the LGB ones. I am sure I saw on here an alternative and cheaper option.

BillView attachment 251339
Well you could buy a Massoth Track Rubber Spare and cut it up to fit. Probably enough for 6-8 changes.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I used Elmer's Saf-T contact cement (a water clean up contact cement) to glue my replacements on. It does not attack the plastic or the elastomer used in the pad.

Phil S.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Considering the investment in stock, track etc. does it matter which (and how much) in the greater scheme of things Railway in the Garden?

They do last for a-g-e-s, after all? :nerd::think::think:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I use the Massoth pads, bought a set for my second hand cleaner early last year, same set still in use and working, not an expensive solution and IMHO worth the money.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
when i bought my cleaner (nearly 50 years ago) they had no fancy pads.
they had pieces of sandingpaper glued under the scates.

actually there is the ??th generation of sanding paper on duty.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Considering the investment in stock, track etc. does it matter which (and how much) in the greater scheme of things Railway in the Garden?

They do last for a-g-e-s, after all? :nerd::think::think:
True but he was looking for cheaper options.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have used VERY fine grade glass/sand paper stuck on with double sided tape. That worked well. I also tried bits of 3M green scourers stuck on with double sided tape, that worked too but the thickness tended to lift the wagon to which it was attached. That was all very cheap.

As I’m battery powered these days, I have my cleaner attached to a particularly heavy brake van and use the sandpaper stuck on to just remove any grit that is on the track, rather than to actually clean the surface. Indeed, I’m looking at modifying the device to have a sort of brush rather than an abrasive surface.