Replacement Connie axle gear/axle in stock here in UK

stuart1955

Registered
23 Nov 2013
cannock, Staffs
Best answers
Country flag
Hi guys, can I use this thread to help get some information on which replacement axle/gear I should get to repair my Bachmann 2-6-0. I have a couple of these 2-6-0's, but one of them broke down during the summer, with all the symptoms of the failed axle gear, which I then put away with the intention to repair during the winter. I have looked on-line for the replacement axle gear, and have several options.
One being, purchase replacement from Bachmann, but I think that's a no no, as they're still the plastic/nylon type. Two, purchase axle/ gear (2223/6) from NWSL, who are now back in business, problem is, this is listed as a 24 toothed gear, as opposed to a 25 as documented by Bachmann. And although I haven't dismantled mine yet to count the existing one, would this replacement still fit and run smooth.
Option three, is to purchase a 2-8-0 axle gear, from either Bachmann or NWSL, which is a 25 toothed gear, and I assume then I would have to remove the gear off the axle, and fit it on to the existing original axle, if that is at all possible.
I would be grateful to anyone who can help or advise on this issue.
Regards, Stuart.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
normally you would start a new thread on a different subject, especially if you want help. No reason not to start a new topic/thread. This thread is a different loco.

Yes, NWSL has had a different tooth count, they appear to work for some people, and I have not heard anyone getting any product from the newly relocated company. Good luck and let us know if you follow this option.

Cannot tel you if the connie gear is the same dimensions as the mogul gear.

You might do better to ask on the 2 American forums, where there is much more experience with these locos.

Greg

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It's best to check your existing gear whether it be 24 or 25 tooth and order the appropriate one from NWSL when they come online again. Website currently dud.
There are some confusing aspects to the tooth count on the 2-6-0 and 4-4-0 in what is posted online.
I have all gears here and can post again with details.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
FWIW i've measured the diameter of the Bachmann Connie replacement axle. My digital calipers read 6.30mm.
As the axle appears to be steel I presume the brass gear may be removed by heating with a jeweler's blowlamp or similar small, intense flame. It could then be fitted to any other steel 6.30 mm axle by similar means.
My measuring equipment isn't calibrated by any laboratory but I suspect any differently sized axles used by Bachmann would differ by considerably more than a few tenths of a millimeter.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Having taken a 4-4-0 Centennial apart, the axles are very different from the Connie, and my understanding is that the Centennial and the Mogul have a lot of similarities.

I don't think we've had the same gear issues in the UK with the 4-4-0s and 2-6-0s as the Connie had. The Connie's problem was a production issue, where the drive gear was damaged when it was force fitted onto the axle.