Replace light bulbs with LEDs in LGB 0-4-0 Porter?

Lylat1an

Registered
8 Nov 2020
Graham, WA
Best answers
Country flag
Are there any LEDs out there the proper size to replace the stock bulbs in a LGB 0-4-0 Porter?

If so, what resistors will I need to run them on a 12 volt circuit?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have replaced mine with 3mm LEDs and I use a 1K ohm resistor with 11.1 volts battery pack. If I recall the Porter has plug in lamps, so I just plugged the LED in.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Please use a LED calculator if you cannot calculate the wattage yourself. Also, you need to calculate from the proper voltage of course.

Might I suggest a little information:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Also some reading, and a calculator, here.. - Not perfect, Greg and I don't fully agree with the calculations provided, but you should not let the 'magic smoke' out with the values you get from this site..

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting, what do you disagree with? can you give an example of where it is wrong? Specific values for voltage, current and forward voltage drop, and the wrong "answers"?

I did a cursory check, and it looked right, but let's find if it indeed is wrong, and I'll find a better one. You do realize that you provided a link to exactly the same calculator I recommend on my web page, right?

Greg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
In order to properly use the LED one needs to know the LED current and voltage to get the proper resistor and the led calculators will do this for people that do not know the math. AND always go higher with the resistor value to insure the led never goees over the max current spec. Most will say this does not matter, but I would not want a 10 cent part to be the cause of damaging via a melt down of some plastic on my 2 hundred plus dollar engine. And for 20 ma leds, all you need is the cl2-N3 current limiter device, no calculations needed.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Dan, but the point here is what does PhilP find in error?

Phil?
Sorry.. Only just got to this thread..

Greg,
Apologies, I am *sure* that some-time back, there was a calculator link, and you disagreed with the results, and I was *sure* it was me who posted, and I post Ledcalc.. - As much as anything because it has explanations, and a tutorial.

Now,
Do we go back and clean-up the thread? - I believe the original author of a post, can delete it?

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You can understand my confusion...

In post #4 I give a link to my page on LED basics, it lists 3 calculators, the last one in RED and saying this one is better...

That link is to LEDCALC.

Then in post #5 you say "Also some reading, and a calculator, here.. - Not perfect, Greg and I don't fully agree with the calculations provided, but you should not let the 'magic smoke' out with the values you get from this site.."

but it is the SAME calculator, LEDCALC ....

So I ask in post #6 what you don't fully agree with, in case I missed something...

I really am interested with what you think is wrong with the calculator, unless you disagree with something else.

In either case, my page is there to help people, and if you have found an error, or something I can improve then please let me know.

Greg