Removing paint..

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
All,
Have just bought my first 'real' LGB loco. - A s/h 22522 green centre-cab OBB diesel.
Unfortunately, the previous owner attempted to paint a stripe on it, and looks like it was masked with ordinary 'crinkly' masking tape. I have no idea what type of paint it is, and want to initially remove this 'line' before attempting (or getting someone else) to paint a 'proper' line with the curved ends fore and aft.

The line has been partially removed on one side, but it may have been with something abrasive, as there is a little scuffing to the underlying plastics. There is also still paint in the 'crease' where there is a raised section of bodywork.
The paint appears to have a similar 'semi-gloss' finish as the plastics body of the loco. It is a 'beige/perhaps flesh?' colour paint.

I will try to get a couple of decent photos to show what I am up against.
Any thoughts on what products to try (gently I presume) to remove this paint?

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
I use a product called "Model Strip" on badly Painted Stainz cabs I get from Ebay

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
ROSS said:
I have tried a lot of so called paint removers on a few LGB 0-4-0 Porters and finally came down to removing decals that had been "pad painted" using a fibreglass tipped brush pens GENTLY and then respraying the entire loco.
Yes gentle use of a fibre tipped pen does the job on decals and screened or printed graphics... I also found by mistake that Isopropyl alcohol works on some paints with little effect on plastics, softens it allowing removal with a toothbrush or similar...

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks all..
It looks like 'whoever' attempted to remove some of it. - Possibly with a fibreglass pen, as there is some scuffing to the area that has been 'cleaned'.

Initially, I am more after suggested products to try, and more importantly products NOT to use at all! - Cellulose thinners, and Nitromors come into this category I presume? - I would be very wary of brake-fluid as well.

It is whether domestic White Spirit or Turps. Sub. would attack the LGB plastics. - I know I have a devil of a job sticking the stuff!

I will get some isopropyl alcohol, I have some Goo Gone, and will try those for a start..
Any thoughts on 'buffing' the scratches out of the underlying plastics? - Or would I end up with 'shiny' bits??

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Rub scuffed area with 1200 grade wet and dry, use wet, swirling motions till flatted out. Finish off with T-Cut. Gloss finish can be toned down with an overall laquer finish of the right type. Phoenix Precision Paints do a fluid equivalent to Modelstrip. Active ingredient in Modelstrip appears to be Sodium Hydroxide but don't quote me on that.

Max

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
maxi-model said:
Rub scuffed area with 1200 grade wet and dry, use wet, swirling motions till flatted out. Finish off with T-Cut. Gloss finish can be toned down with an overall laquer finish of the right type. Phoenix Precision Paints do a fluid equivalent to Modelstrip. Active ingredient in Modelstrip appears to be Sodium Hydroxide but don't quote me on that.

Max

As Max says I would be tempted to go along the lines of safety as a start and use a Modelstrip type of Product. I have had great results with Modelstrip. But do follow the instructions, overnight in a sealed plastic bag worked very well for me.
JonD