Removed LGB fishplates (rail joiners) - uses???

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
What do you do with your damaged rail joiners? I've got a bagful of these which were accumulated when I fitted all my points with Hillman or Massoth rail-clamps to aid lifting for servicing purposes. I have to admit I butchered them somewhat at get round the 'pimple' which prevented easy removal. A screwdriver and side-cutters were my tools of choice, coupled with a generous helping of impatience and brute force. Looking for suggestions (I expect they'll not all be practical), not necessarily on a postcard. The alternative is they will be consigned to the bin.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
What do you do with your damaged rail joiners? I've got a bagful of these which were accumulated when I fitted all my points with Hillman or Massoth rail-clamps to aid lifting for servicing purposes. I have to admit I butchered them somewhat at get round the 'pimple' which prevented easy removal. A screwdriver and side-cutters were my tools of choice, coupled with a generous helping of impatience and brute force. Looking for suggestions (I expect they'll not all be practical), not necessarily on a postcard. The alternative is they will be consigned to the bin.
Well with a little bit of work with some pliers they can be very usable to sell in here or EBAY.

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
I would take lots of photos and explain how and why they are in that state then pop them on eBay at a minimum price to cover shipping. You might be surprised.

Paul

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I would take lots of photos and explain how and why they are in that state then pop them on eBay at a minimum price to cover shipping. You might be surprised.

Paul
Like this?shopping.jpeg

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Well with a little bit of work with some pliers they can be very usable to sell in here or EBAY.
Not sure what sort of job I can do - as I said I was rather brutal.
P1080713 _2_.JPG

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I tend to use mine as loads of scrap metal in open wagons or gondolas. They’re a good weight and keep everything nicely planted on the track.

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Me, I put them back into stock. It is a simple matter removing these without damaging them..... from ordinary track, that is. Getting them off frogs is still a work in progress.
For ordinary track, I have used the approved 'drill out the dimple' method. Then I discovered the vice grip/screw driver/hammer method. Even had success with the two vice grip trick (one on the non fishplate end of the rail, and t'other on the flat tongue of the fishplate, deep breath, and, yank).

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure what sort of job I can do - as I said I was rather brutal.
View attachment 252985
Depends on how much you wish to save the world by recycling stuff. They are recoverable but will need a minute or two’s work. Best way is to first get them back to shape a bit using a biggish pair of Flat Pliers bending them around a bit of old LGB Rail then with a hammer and old screwdriver bang then into the Rail. A bit more plier work and they will be good again.

Best way to remove I have found is to hack saw off the Tab then with the Rail held in a vice hammer the fishplate off. Hardly any damage at all. Clearly you are into fishplate abuse!

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
These people may be interested.View attachment 252991
Wow. Railway related plonk! Available from Great Western Wine too! Best not tell SWMBO about it. She says the stuff we've got keeps evaporating so she's having to throw empty bottles away. I noticed the stocks were being depleted and wondered why. I had my suspicions but now I know the truth. Silly me.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Best way to remove I have found is to hack saw off the Tab then with the Rail held in a vice hammer the fishplate off. Hardly any damage at all. Clearly you are into fishplate abuse!

Or........You can drill out the "dimple" first and then with a long nose pair of pliers, holding the part of the joiner that the base of the rail sits on, give it a good pull. Vice is optional but helpful. Then, if you have resisted the temptation to cut it away, all you have to do is fold the tab back to vertical or cut it off if redundant for your uses - Result one perfectly reusable, or saleable at a premium price, rail joiner. :cool: Max

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah but....

If I pull all the 'joiners off=of my track, and sell them... :think: How do I join the track? :think:
:p:giggle::giggle:

1:22-ish Thermite 'welding'.. Anybody?? :eek::tmi::shake::shake:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I got it wrong then, most of mine were removed in anger when they failed and thrown , theirs money laid around my garden..... need a metal detector now :cool:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
I got it wrong then, most of mine were removed in anger when they failed and thrown , theirs money laid around my garden..... need a metal detector now :cool:
I might just have one in my garage - if I can find it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if a metal detector would help me find the shed key? :think:

Luckily.. The door is not locked! :rolleyes:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Brass and copper is getting good money at the scrapyard these days. Save them along with any other items you have that are copper based and tell the man at the scrapyard you need more trains.....;)

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Not if his garage is made of concrete:giggle::giggle::giggle:
Nah. Brick and timber - and the detector is made of plastic. Bright orange with 'Radio Shack Treasure Finder' on the side. That should give you some idea of it's age. If you need more help it has a £4.99 Tandy price sticker on the end of the box.

• Haha

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if a metal detector would help me find the shed key? :think:

Luckily.. The door is not locked! :rolleyes:
Hmm, a couple of weeks ago I assembled a new shed in order to store railway odd and sods and return the conservatory to normal domestic use. It was done in a hurry because we were off on holiday the following day.
I duly locked it and purposely did not put the key “somewhere safe”.
On our return I was unable to find the obvious place where I had put the key.
Result? I ended up removing the hinges from one door, removing the lock and am now hoping the b#####d key will turn up sometime soon. :envy: