Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
First, moderator, apologies if this in the wrong section but this felt like the best location for this post - please move if required.

I'm looking for some advice. I have a large amount of second-hand track that I acquired when I was younger. It has previously been used on an outdoor layout where the ballast had been mixed with cement (I presume to hold everything in place). Unfortunately, the result is the track has mortar and ballast stuck to the rails and sleepers. I cleaned up the top of the rail so the trains run absolutely fine, however, the look irks me.

Has anyone had any experience of cleaning up old track. My previous approach was mechanical (i.e., elbow grease and an old flat-head screwdriver) but as you can imagine - that was very tedious.

Any help appreciated.

Curtis

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A few good wollops with a lump hammer will remove from the Sleepers. Place upside down on a good flat surface and wollop, just not too hard. Flat surface will protect the rail feom being bent and the sleepers will be protected by the rail. Probably worthwhile to have a piece if wood on top of the underneath of the sleepers to wollop on. As for getting out the rest, tedium I am afraid!

This was the process that I had to indulge in when I lifted my line in Luton back in 2000 when I moved, all the Peco G45 had been in Concrete for Ballast.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Brick acid and a good scrub? Never tried owt like that.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Wire brush might help loosen some?

Or place one end on the ground lift the other about and foot and drop, the vibration might help shift some

Or how about a pressure washer?

Dan

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Simple, bury the track in new concrete ! ........(exit, stage right).

Reactions: 1 users

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
In the past I have removed cement from metal items by giving them a good soak and popping them in a polythene bag the freezer. Being porous the cement absorbed the water which then expanded when it froze, at the same time the metal contracted. Loosened it up a treat, most just fell of under the tap (warm water.)
Not tried it on track, but may be worth testing a short length.
Paul.

Reactions: 4 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
In the past I have removed cement from metal items by giving them a good soak and popping them in a polythene bag the freezer. Being porous the cement absorbed the water which then expanded when it froze, at the same time the metal contracted. Loosened it up a treat, most just fell of under the tap (warm water.)
Paul.
Don't get caught doing so though

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You really need a 'chest freezer' to get the longer lengths of track in though.. :think::nerd::nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
You really need a 'chest freezer' to get the longer lengths of track in though.. :think::nerd::nod::nod:
Or hope for a real cold snap and put em outside.
'WINTER IS COMING!'
(Sorry... Just rewatched series 1 of Game of thrones.)

Reactions: 1 user

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
A few good wollops with a lump hammer will remove from the Sleepers. Place upside down on a good flat surface and wollop, just not too hard. Flat surface will protect the rail feom being bent and the sleepers will be protected by the rail. Probably worthwhile to have a piece if wood on top of the underneath of the sleepers to wollop on. As for getting out the rest, tedium I am afraid!

This was the process that I had to indulge in when I lifted my line in Luton back in 2000 when I moved, all the Peco G45 had been in Concrete for Ballast.

Yeah, I found it came off the sleepers easier enough. It was the rail that was frustrating me. I tried to do it while watching Christmas films etc but it was proving very tedious.

Or how about a pressure washer?

I'm actually going to give this a shot tomorrow - one of the perks of my parents having a farm is that we these things to hand.

Paul.

Paul, this is great idea. I'm giving the pressure watch a try tomorrow. If that is ineffective or damaging then I'll try this.

We actually have 3 chest freezers, I think I can sneak a load of track into one without anyone minding!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I tried to do it while watching Christmas films etc but it was proving very tedious.

Yes, the Christmas Films are very tedious! :(;):(
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry about the late follow up - the pressure/steam washer did a pretty good job. I lose a couple of track ties but I suspect they were already a bit loose. It managed to remove most of the concrete and did a clean up after with the old LGB hand track block.
Anything that still had concrete on I dropped in my parent's deep freeze. A couple of days later another run over with the pressure washer removed it.
I'm rather impressed with the results. Many thanks for everyone's input!

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg
    657.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    545 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0077.jpeg
    IMG_0077.jpeg
    570.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 3 users

Paul2727