Remote control points

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Currently I use Aristocraft Train Engineer (Art 5474) to remotely control my point motors, however I appreciate that it will not last forever, and the 27mhz system is not repairable. So my question is what other systems similar to this are available. I know Jon (Dunnyrail) has a pneumatic system, and there is a DCC system available, but I don't really wish to go down either of these routes. I as thinking of a 2.4 ghz system, with an indoor receiver (preferably) running to a LGB point motor, but currently i don't seem to be able to find a remote system that will switch LGB point motors.
Back to basics:

I think you need to consider your future, i.e. a new control system since you understand that your current system's available is going away.

I also think that no matter what system you choose, you should pick a system that allows you control of locos and accessories (switches) with a single unit.

If you are happy with your old TE, you CAN find the controllers that will move switches, but my opinion is that it's not a super reliable system, and I have tuned many a system that just stopped responding, but I did get them working. I use 24v DC solenoids, see my page on pneumatics:

Questions welcome :) (the 2 gadgets on the Digitrax controller are diodes, the outputs are reversing DC, I only need +DC to activate the solenoid, so one diode makes it either DC or nothing, the other is a "snubber" diode to protect the decoder from the BEMF from the solenoid when the circuit opens.

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
'Deltang' point control starts with (up-to) 7..
But the you can multiplex to over a 100, if you so-wish.

You can either have two controllers, or custom-build a box for both point and train control. - The 'point-controller' ca be as simple as a box of switches, or you can layout a track-plan, and place the switches accordingly.

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I try to keep it simple 5 solenoids each controlling four sets of points each point has a manual air switch that can turn it on or off. All points are set straight thru when no air is supplied. So a passing loop when selected, both points at each end change. If I only want one to change I shut off the air supply to the other one. The Manual switches can be mounted near the points. So I have multiple sidings off the loop I can select a pre set siding easy as well. Mostly when you are shunting you are standing nearby so manuel control of the switches is better. As the air rams that control the points are only one way with air the other with a spring it is easy to operate. So if a train approaches the passing loop I am working in I simply turn off the air supply to the area with the solenoid this sets all points to straight thru. When the train passes I turn the air back on with solenoid and carry on.