Reluctance to "bash" any of my stock.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Got to admit, my simple bashes were often inspired by both David, and Mel, formally of this parish.

Here's another simple one, a Toytrain crane glued to a Bachmann bogie wagon....

2017-11-07 11.03.54.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I too, at first, hated the idea of possibly ruining my locos or rolling stock.
But I did want some of them to look like they had been 'around' for a while.
I had also found that if I 'motorised' some freight and/or passenger cars to become 'helpers', it would help my steam outline locos to overcome my tortuous gradients (max 1:10).
I had already 'kitbashed and weathered some plastic kit-built buildings and also constructed some scratch-built buildings from wood which were then weathered, so I had built up my confidence a wee bit..

After a bit of indecision, I jumped in and, at first, did some weathering and/or detailing of a few items and ........ then went on to the 'motorising' the 'helper' freight and passenger cars and their weathering.
I learned very soon that it is better to apply little by little weathering rather than going full blast!

For my first bash/weather/detailing I 'dressed up' an old Bachmann Climax that I had got secondhand and was in a bit of a state, so if I made a complete dog's dinner, at least it wouldn't be too much of a catastrophe. It was re-liveried in 'Beaver Creek Railroad' plumage and then detailed with bits and pieces and then slightly weathered.

Climax in front of weathered Piko, other kit and bashed and scratch-built buildings
climax at quarry works.jpgclimax paasing dunny.JPG

STOCK CAR 'BASH'/WEATHER/MOTORISING

I decided to have three 'motorised' stock cars (cattle trucks) and so proceeded to give them a darned good bashing!

I gathered a number of Bachmann stock cars which were liveried (wrongly) in D&RGW plumage.
To make them look at least a little acceptable for the prototypical line, they needed new
name boards, the walkways amended, weathering and some extra details etc... but fiorst three of them needed motors put in and to try to 'hide' the fact that they had the motors.
A bit of faffing around and I was able to use the side frames from a normal unpowered bogie to camouflage the motor block
The other 'non-motorised' stockcars, out of the ten or so that I had collected, were just detailed and weathered.

Fresh out of the boxa out of the box.jpg

Motorised and weathered
c finished product.jpg

Out on the layout (still needing the brake wheel assembly updated with white metal parts)

1c another view.jpg

One non-'motorised' stock car poses by the stockyard all year round.. Weathered coaling and sanding station in background
12 weathered new stockyard to bridge.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
I usually bash mine after it bounces more than once off the concrete slab floor, by necessity.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
I usually bash mine after it bounces more than once off the concrete slab floor, by necessity.
I like to bash and weather particularly the more toy like models
Attached is an after posed with a representative beforeIMG_2373.JPGIMG_2374.JPGIMG_2373.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I like to bash and weather particularly the more toy like models
Attached is an after posed with a representative beforeView attachment 242730View attachment 242731View attachment 242730
What a difference, the modified loco looks like a big grunty USA Switcher where as the unmodified and garishly painted one look like the Toy that it is. Wonderful job that shows what can be done, but I suspect changing the Tanks and putting the Chimney on them was a bit of a though only part of the job!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I was going to say something similar - after last night's running session after dark where it seems that a stick or something dropped onto the track.

Full damage assessment today, but the minimum is one dismembered pony tuck from the 2-6-2 .............. as in modified to become an 0-6-2 o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Couple of bashes I did some time ago. The Amtrak loco is in an unfinished state. I sold both. Not exactly sure why.....:rolleyes:

017.jpgGR43.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Couple of bashes I did some time ago. The Amtrak loco is in an unfinished state. I sold both. Not exactly sure why.....:rolleyes:

View attachment 242752View attachment 242753
Both very nice I also wonder why you parted with them as well!

The Amtrack is a very nice adaption of the Set, interesting idea to adapt the driving ends to make up a Loco. The diesel reminds me very much of the Wisbech and Upwell Double ended Sentinel.
image.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The very first coach that I bashed was a very old LGB 'Barmer' coach purchased off Ebay. It had already been slightly altered by a previous owner in that the buffers had been cut off and buckeye couplings had been fitted. My first task was to restore it to original condition before I attacked it with razor saw and craft knife in an attempt to Anglicise it. Having started it, I then concentrated on modifying my goods wagons so in reality this conversion took many years to complete. For link to how it was converted click on Claptowte Railway - Passenger Coach No 10 - G Scale Central

Before

.Neg 177 - 19.jpg

During....

dig 180325004.JPG
After

dig 180331005.JPG

David

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Will do on one side.

Heventually your wish is my command. In truth I needed to do some more work on the Metalwork, I have used Shellack to make this good and strong so that as you will see this is an L rather than waht it was sans shelleck.
image.jpeg
image.jpegThere is just one coat of Halfords Rattle Can Grey Matt on this and I as you can see no bleed through, except where I have missed soray cos it was a quick bidge job. The blemishes are where I probably paid too much attention to this thin Card when Glueing to the Corrugated Card Body. But no matter it will be used to good effect as wasted wood!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I would be interested to see how badly the printing on the outside would show through paint?

Any chance you could blow it over with primer, Jon? :think:
See my latest post Phil. Your wish being my command!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon..
Interesting.. I have always found the printed areas to be 'more glossy', and tend to show a 'shadow' of text.. Wonder if the Shellac has anything to do with it? :think:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon..
Interesting.. I have always found the printed areas to be 'more glossy', and tend to show a 'shadow' of text.. Wonder if the Shellac has anything to do with it? :think:
I only Shellacked the Metalwork not the main part if the Body though there would have been a little bit of bleed but not much. I think that is is the wonder of Halfords Grey RattleUndercoat, cannot praise this stuff too highly as much as I dislike praising National Companies. Perhaps cos it has been kicking around a very long time, much of it here in the full sun for part of the day some of the Cardboard Sheen has been eroded?