Regular X and Y layer shift on my (very) cheap Anet clone printer

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've had my (very) cheap Anet A8 clone for about 18 months now and upgraded almost every part of it. I've also strengthened and reinforced the structure to try and overcome a consistent problem I've had since I first got it - I get regular corrugations every 1mm or so on both the X and Y axes.
DSCF0981.JPG

I've always assumed it was because the plywood structure is a bit rickety but I'm having doubts that it is the cause:
  • I've done my utmost to eliminate movement in the structure and it has made absolutely no difference
  • The corrugations seem too uniform at every 1mm or so which means the structure would have to flex one way and then the other after every 10 layers
  • The corrugations seem uniform on both X and Y axes
So, do you think there's some sort of bug in the firmware or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Rik
PS - I've fought shy of updating the firmware because my Z screws are actually M8 threaded rod rather than the posh stuff (I told you it was a cheap clone)

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If your lead-screws are, presumably, a coarser pitch, might there be more play in the system, causing the patterning?

Did you have to calibrate the X and Y axes, at all?

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
If your lead-screws are, presumably, a coarser pitch, might there be more play in the system, causing the patterning?

Did you have to calibrate the X and Y axes, at all?
That's a thought. I'll check to see if the corrugations coincide with one full rotation of the Z screws.

No, the printer came already calibrated.

Rik

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed that the threaded rod is the most likely culprit. As it rotates, it's probably introducing a small amount of lateral movement.

If you have ever run a nut up and down some threaded bar, you may have noticed a little slack - which only disappears when you tighten the nut up against something. Lead screws are a different profile to reduce back lash and therefore there's much less slack in the system.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If you have ever run a nut up and down some threaded bar, you may have noticed a little slack - which only disappears when you tighten the nut up against something. Lead screws are a different profile to reduce back lash and therefore there's much less slack in the system.
Most lead screws are either square or acme form, and are of very tight tolerance.