Regner Willi - Boiler water level glass replacement query

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

Has anyone fitted a replacement glass tube for the boiler level guage on a regner? In my case its a Willi but i guess its pretty similar for other types. Reason for swapping is its cracked. Any helpfull suggestions most appreciated.

many thanks...

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Try a medical retort supplier or google it. Alyn

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Certainly in the larger gauges these are made of a Pyrex type glass for toughness. I'm not sure about this gauge, but probably.

If one has cracked it can be for several reasons.

If it has been in use for some time then it may have been chilled or been hit, or even just got 'tired' and therefore straight replacement is all that is necessary.

If it is first, or near first 'cycle' (cold-hot-cold) then there may be a problem with the fitting not being truely lined up, or perhaps the gland nuts over tightened, or the glass being the wrong length (too long usually). In this case check the fitting with a metal rod of the same (correct) size, and see that, with the nuts loose, it has clearance all round to allow for expansion. Adjust as necessary and fit your new glass. Make sure that the fitting is fully cleaned out before-hand.

Don't attempt to use a loco with a cracked glass, it could shatter and result in scalding or other injury.

ATB.

wpandyr

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Southampton
Best answers
New sight glass is readily available from Regner, I have some spare if long enough. It is relatively easy to replace the glass as per Bob G above, use new gland packing, (rolled PTFE tape) but be careful not to over tighten the gland nuts.

Good luck.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Try Martins models 01544 230777.He is the main distributor of Regner.You will probably need some rubber compression rings to hold the glass in place as well.To remove the glass,turn the retaining nuts anti clockwise.Hope this helps.

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hi
thanks for your quick replies. I've ordered one from Martins although i forgot to ask for the grommets and they are damaged. Looks like i'll have to call Martin again!

thanks again..

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
You could use P.T.F.E. tape twisted into a string and wound round several turns, like wpandyr suggested, it works just as well.

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Ahhh, I see... I missed wpandyr's point. I can carefully wrap ptfe around both ends of the glass tube to act as grommets. The key thing is to not tighten the gland nuts too tightly.

cheers Bobg...

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Just in case anyone is tracking this and they have the same problem. I followed the advice and wrapped a thin string of ptfe around the glass under the gland nut and eventually got it right. It now works fine. I did however break 4 site glasses trying though :rolleyes:!! Good learning exercise.
Big thanks to all who provided the advice and to Martins models who also recomended the same technique and v/quickly provided the spares...:D

steveciambrone

trains, boats, planes
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
hemingp said:
It now works fine. I did however break 4 site glasses trying though :rolleyes:!! Good learning exercise.

Four broken for your first time, sounds about right. I think I broke two or three the first time.

Steve

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
steveciambrone said:
hemingp said:
It now works fine. I did however break 4 site glasses trying though :rolleyes:!! Good learning exercise.

Four broken for your first time, sounds about right. I think I broke two or three the first time.

Steve
Yes, perhaps a little late now but the secret is to only tighten the gland nuts just enough to stop it leaking. Even finger tight is good enough to start with, then one 'flat' at a time till it will hold pressure. It does sound rather that the glasses may be just ordinary glass, pyrex ones usually take quite a bit.