Regner Willi - Blocked gas jet. How to remove?

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
8|Well, i just get one problem fixed and then another comes along. As I'm something of a novice when it comes to live steam, I thought i'd best ask before diving in.
Has anyone removed the gas jet for cleaining on a regner willi? Mine appears to be blocked. If so, whats the best way.

Many thanks...

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Fill the gas tank with the gas valve open.The extra pressure in the gas can should remove the blockage without removing the jet.

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
thanks for the advice, i'll give it a go in the next day or so...

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
If that doesn't work, remove the jet, and reverse blow it with air or butane. Sometimes after that, just to insure there is no more crap in the tank,(and it doesn't take much crap at all to plug a jet), I fill the tank with butane, and exhaust it to the atmosphere without the jet being reinstalled. It wastes a tank of butane, but it cleans out the tank, and it might be worth it.

What ever you do, do not poke anything in the orifice of the jet. It is easy to damage the small jet opening.

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for advice Steam town, the problem I have is that i dont know how to remove the jet. I dont want to go charging in and do more damage.

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
Mr. Heming,

While it is not necessary to be a machinist to undertake this live steam hobby, one probably must be at least a tinkerer. Now would be a good time to start tinkering. With these instructions and a few pictures perhaps we can get you going.

First a list of the tools...

Willi%20jet%20Tools.JPG

[*]Small Channel Lock Pliers
[*]A 3mm nut driver[*]A 6mm ignition wrench[*]A 1.3mm Allan head driver Removing the back of the locomotive (two 2mm screws with a 3mm hex head), makes for easy access to the gas jet...

Willi%20jet%205.JPG

Undo the set screw as in the above picture. The gas jet in its elbow holder will pull out. Make sure that large brass screw holding the burner in is secure, or the entire burner will pull out. (Ask me how I know that!)

Willi%20jet%204.JPG

Unscrew the gas line from the elbow and hold the elbow securely in the channel locks while unscrewing the gas jet...

Willi%20jet%202.JPG

With your fingers, or with the channel locks you can hold the jet over a butane can to reverse blow the jet, as I described above.

Willi%20jet%203.JPG

Reverse the process and you should be ready to go.

Hope this helps.

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Re:Regner Willi - Blocked gas jet. How to remove? - Problem solved

Update for anyone following this thread. Took loco to my local garden club for one of the wise ones to advise who promptly solved this for me. Thanks David.:clap:
Gas jet assembly removed by loosening the Hex headed bolt right at the end of the gas assembly furthest from the boiler. I had to remove the gas tank first to get to this. This was removed by removing the pipe between the gas tank and the jet assembly then unscrewing the 2 hex headed bolts underneath the footplate. The jet assembly was withdrawn and actual jet unbolted and i ran through this a John Prescott engineering 'gas jet pricker'. A bargain at 90 pence. Basically its a v'thin piece of wire correctly sized.
Assembly reverse of removal and problem solved...

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Steam town 1. Thanks very much for the advice and the picutres. I got it fixed this morning before i got home and read your thread. There was an open day so i was able to get the advise needed. Your precise instructions and photos would have resulted in me fixing it myself so thanks again. This is really how forums should work...

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
You are very welcome, Mr. H

One thing you will not find in this hobby is a shortage of persons able and willing to help.

Here is a pic of my Willi, who just got his gas jet cleaned out, even though he didn't need it...

5.jpg

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
Believe it or not, it is a Regner kit. I thought it was greatly overpriced for what it contained, but it looked great, was well designed, and I wanted it. So I sprung for it, nonetheless.

I paid $80.00 for it a few years ago at Diamondhead. The current price at http://www.traindept.com/ < Link To Thttp://www.traindept.com/ < Link To he Train Department for part number 25310 is $126.24, so maybe I shouldn't complain.