Regner Konrad 'brit 'style' cab...

biggerdom

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Best answers
I'm thinking of buying a Regner Konrad as I think it will suit my line nicely, however i feel its lacking a cab to make it look more british. I have knocked this design up quickly in paint, what do you guys think? having never used a regner model would the cab get in the way of anything?

I would also need someone t knock it up in either steel or brass for me does anyone know who can do this?

konradeditcab.jpg

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Biggerdom, have a look at my earlier post 'Modified Regner Konrad'. It's quite a simple exercise; you need to make the cab roof removable (or hinged) for access to the gas filler.
I would respectfully suggest you keep the spectacle plate away from the steam header (manifold) to avoid overheating.
You can cut the cab sidesheets down and fit handrails as your drawing; we chose a tender and left the cab sides alone.
Our design is a touch more Colonial than you desire, I suspect, but we thought it suited the general design of the Regner.

Dave

biggerdom

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Best answers
I like yours very much actully, seems simple enough what did you make yours out of brass?

I liek the regner range they seem very under sold though which seems a shame :)

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
ffd2034215d649d4947e807ed57ff214.jpg
biggerdom said:
I'm thinking of buying a Regner Konrad as I think it will suit my line nicely, however i feel its lacking a cab to make it look more british. I have knocked this design up quickly in paint, what do you guys think? having never used a regner model would the cab get in the way of anything?

I would also need someone t knock it up in either steel or brass for me does anyone know who can do this?

konradeditcab.jpg

Why not get one of these instead.You'd be halfway there.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Oops!

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Allan's suggestion makes sense; the hard bit is done for you. Just make a curved steel roof, make a support for the rear and glue a small magnet to the top of the spectacle plate ( to hold the roof on ) and you've cracked it.
The rear support only needs to be a goalpost arrangement to locate the roof, you could use a bit of gas welding rod bent into a 'u' shape - the corners of the cab would probably hold it in place, superglue certainly would.
I would think carefully about fitting cab sides, you need to get to the regulator and if you have a driver, you can't get past him from the back of the cab with a roof fitted.
The Wilma has the added advantage of being supplied with the water top-up valve, which can be a bit fiddly to fit and is a must-have.
Then, if you fancied a tender, I bet an LGB one might suit (may be too big?) or convert a small wagon; narrow gauge railways often used whatever they could find.
It's either that or get the 'new' Accucraft steamer...:clap:

I like them both. Totally different animals, but equally enjoyable to own and operate. It's over to you Dom.

Dave.
Near The Wash.

biggerdom

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Best answers
Your right about the about the wilma! hadnt seen that before..

as you say its half way there, wonder whats the real differeance between the konrad and the wilma then?

Cheers

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
As far as I know, it has the spectacle plate, water top-up valve( it looks like an oildrum in front of the cylinder) and the paint job. It may have a smaller pressure gauge but not sure.
Allan will confirm or correct me, I'm sure.
Wilma is dearer of course.
Ring Martin at Martin's Models, he's a really helpful bloke and the main UK agent.

Dave

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
His number is 01554 230777 ( he's in Herefordshire)

I think the list price for a Konrad is (was) £439 and for Wilma £470, vat increase may push this up, also the Euro.
Don't quote me on prices; this only a guide...

Dave

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
There are some good photos of the Konrad and Vincent on the Dream Steam site www.dream-steam.com - he is also an official agent. There are also photos of the cab roof for Konrad and a gazebo that fits on to Willi!
Cheers
Chris

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hmm, not too struck on the corrugated iron roof meself, but each to their own...
Again the Wilma scores by having the spectacle plate, I reckon.
If there had been one about, I'd have gone for it; I think Allan snapped his up on Ebay (I may be wrong there...)
As they say- 'You pays yer money and takes yer choice.' or summat like that.

Dave

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
d1e4c7a4679f4a07a65334b395458be5.jpg
I got my Wilma from Martins about a year ago.There are some important extras on the Wilma such as the boiler filler.The Konrad is a basic Wilma.All you need for a roof is a piece of bean can,although a Regner one can be purchased.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
That looks really nice .........:clap:

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Excellent green cab; really suits the loco.
Good video Steve; demonstrates how Regner locos just run with no drama or fuss.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Excellent film Steve and a brilliant railway.Regners are very under rated.