Reed Switch Source? Installation On Locomotive to Sound Horn.

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Fellow G Enthusiasts!

Thank you EVERYONE on the forum for their advice! So much has changed in the past 30 years and I feel so ignorant. But thanks to everyone for being kind!

I still use DC track power. Not DCC.

Years ago, I purchased a PH Hobbies sound card with reed switches that I glued on the bottom of my locomotive. As my loco passed a certain spot on my garden railroad where I had a track magnet, the horn would sound.

I have installed another sound card in a different locomotive. I need a USA Reed Switch.jpgsource for the same type of reed switch (with 2 wires) that I can glue on the bottom. Thank You! AJ the Teacher.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Door/window alarm switches are usually closed contacts, for sensors on our trains most sound units need open reed contacts. I prefer the round ones where possible to install vertically, and on LGB engines there is a place in the bottom for short glass reeds to be added inside the motor block and out of sight!!

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Door/window alarm switches are usually closed contacts, for sensors on our trains most sound units need open reed contacts. I prefer the round ones where possible to install vertically, and on LGB engines there is a place in the bottom for short glass reeds to be added inside the motor block and out of sight!!
There are plenty versions of reed switches on Amazon.com. Also GScaleGraphics.com has them.