Recommendation for beginner's air brush

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I've never tried air brushing but I'm up for giving it a go, having watched a few clips on YouTube. Can anyone recommend a simple (and inexpensive) device, suitable for a total novice, easy to clean and operate? Nothing fancy - I won't be doing it all that much. I'm not a fan of acrylics, though I have used them for buildings, so I'd prefer to stick to good old enamel paint, but am unsure how suitable your average Humbrol is for spraying - again, any tips would be appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hello ViaEstrecha.

I use this inexpensive air brush that I purchased off of eBay to paint my trains. Years ago, I had a Badger air brush but this new one is easier for me to operate.

This was my search. Airbrush Kit with 3 Guns - Gravity Siphon Feed Air Compressor Crafts Hobby Art

I paint with enamel samples that I had custom mixed at our home improvement stores for $5 a color. This air brush set up worked great for me right out of the box/some fiddling with air pressure needed. It gives a very nice even paint spray. I am very pleased with it and the cost was only $92. I hope that they may have something similar in your area. AJ the Teacher

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Will be interesting to see others comments, on that kit?
You seem to get a lot for your money?

Only specification I don't see, is for how noisy the compressor is.. :think::wondering:

I have wondered about the tiny paint-cups, and the fact that they are open?
I guess you actually use very little paint (compared to brushing).
I have seen, and liked the idea of, a stand / rest for the air-brush, which has a switch, to turn the compressor off, when on the rest.

Anyone use one of these?

PhilP

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Will be interesting to see others comments, on that kit?
You seem to get a lot for your money?

Only specification I don't see, is for how noisy the compressor is.. :think::wondering:

I have wondered about the tiny paint-cups, and the fact that they are open?
I guess you actually use very little paint (compared to brushing).
I have seen, and liked the idea of, a stand / rest for the air-brush, which has a switch, to turn the compressor off, when on the rest.

Anyone use one of these?

PhilP
Hi PhilP. My air brush compressor is not very noisy. It definitely is much quieter that a larger compressor that I use on a nail gun. Conversations can still be heard while I am painting. All of my bottles have caps and these little airbrushes don't use much paint/Paint goes a LONG way! AJ the Teacher

Attachments

• Excalibur Air Conditioning and Heating.jpg
    Excalibur Air Conditioning and Heating.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1