Re-painting a LGB 4 wheel, 7 window coach...

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Re-painting a LGB 4 wheel, 7 window coach...

I recently aquired one of the LGB 4 wheel, 7 window coaches used as the basis of the DR and Zileralbahn coaches via eBay.
The EJ&KLR is a freelance 'preserved' line based in the UK, but I'm particularly inspired by a lot of the Austrian narrow gauge networks.

On my Franco-Belge topic I shared a photo from the Middleton Press book of a train at Weiz station, taken in the late 1950s on the StLB. It was a mixed train with one coach, one guards van and several opens and vans - with timber traffic. The coach closely resembled those used on the Zilertalbahn - and I wanted to be able to represent the train in some way on my line.
bd4a2c01067e42b5b679418c1f351c1e.jpg

The DR coach became available and was secured for an excellent price - it very good boxed condition. It seemed a shame to re-spray the model but I pride myself on the quality of my repaints so with a little bit of trepidation I stripped it down, removed the glazing and seating, masked the door windows (as I couldn't remove them) and sprayed a coat of primer on the body.
99aa90e49bda4f5d85d6f09d0179c1a3.jpg

The model will be finished in a dark green colour and custom EJ&KLR transfers inspired by the Hungarian bogie coaches on the Welshpool and Llanfair. I'll share more progress when I have it - in the meantime, my blog: http://ejklr.blogspot.com is kept more regularly up to date with progress as I can update straight from my iPhone at the end of a modelling session!

Reactions: 1 user

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
That's a nice looking coach, James. It'll look good in dark green.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Update on... http://ejklr.blogspot.com

Managed to get the green paint on last night - applied with my £100 EXPO TOOLS airbrush and compressor set (that I can't recommend more highly to someone looking to move away from spray cans). Best £100 I have ever spent.

Anyway - a few photos...
aa59225be72d4d49a4cdf94467c81e1e.jpg

2ba9253fc9e244cb9711c23925c01ad8.jpg

Tonight I'll get some gloss varnish on the coach sides so I can apply the transfers over the weekend. The final finish will be satin varnish all over to seal and protect the finish. Should be back together on Sunday night/Monday! :)

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
jameshilton said:
I stripped it down, removed the glazing and seating, masked the door windows (as I couldn't remove them) and sprayed a coat of primer on the body.

Hi James, a little help you can give me here. (I'm shortly about to have my first go at spray painting)

Is it a simple as the above statement, or did you clean or otherwise prepare the surface to be painted? If so how and with what. Thanks in anticipation, Dave.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
nice. Do you mind telling me how much you paid for it? Also is the roof just one moulding?

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hornbeam - yes the roof is just one moulding. The Zillertalbahn roof is different, it doesn't have the cholestery (spelling) bit and has ribs instead. I got it for a touch over £50 on Ebay.

DoctorM (Dave) - prep wise I rubbed down the white markings (DR and small numbers) with fine 1200 grit wet and dry paper under the tap. I then dried throroughly and masked off the interior and end windows. I then wiped over with a cloth moistened in white spirit to remove any grease from fingers etc. After that dried carefully with a clean sheet of kitchen towel, and handled carefully. I use Halfords plastic primer in a rattle can - it gives a good finish if built up slowly - I don't mean over several sessions (although that probably helps) I just mean wafted on slowly to build up the density rather than spraying until it's grey in one bit and moving on...

The airbrush takes practice - you can control the paint flow on a dual action brush. I start the air, then pull back the lever to start the paint. I apply a very fine mist to start with along the mounlding lines and seams to pick up the edges - doing this on an angle as they can be missed later if you're not careful. On this vehicle I started on the ends. I apply quite a light spray in one direction first, several passes to cover the panel/side. I then do the same in the other direction and repeat to build up the density being careful to spray from different angles to the coach so as not to leave 'shadows' around raised edges. Once it's all pretty dense (it shouldn't be wet at this point as you're applying thing coats it builds up slowly and dries quite quickly) I waft over in a circular pattern a lot more paint on full throttle from a greater distance to tie the finish together.

Paint is just Humbrol tinlets for me - well stirred until there is no gunk in the bottom. Usually about a 70% paint 30% thinners mix - I use bog standard B&Q white spirit with no ill effects.

Cleaning - I use thinners first, then cellulose based airbrush cleaner sparingly.

Always spray outdoors or in a garage with the door open. Ideally use a mask - that's on my shopping list this year - as I don't do much but in G you're spraying for a lot longer than in 4mm!!

Hope that helps!

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the advice!

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
thanks for the reply James :D

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I managed to get a coat of gloss varnish on the coach sides, mainly concentrating on the end panels as this is where the transfers will be applied. I will use Microscale Micro-set and Micro-sol to avoid silvering of the backing paper - and the model will then be sealed with satin varnish.

I'm going to pick out the door handles on the balconies in silver, the handrails on the coach ends black, paint the metal end roof supports black and the bars protecting the end window need something as currently they're still cream under the masking tape. These will either be coach body green or perhaps black. I'll see...

Will post up a photo when the transfers are on!

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Can I suggest that you try picking out the door handles in brass rather than silver James. I reckon you'll find they look much classier and railway like?

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mel - it's a balancing act - I want this coach to feel more austere, question is if it would have been brass originally, then it probably wouldn't have been changed... I don't have a brass tinlet so when I get some varnish I'll see if I can pick one up!

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Chaps just a bit of a teaser...
I've managed to get one side of the transfers on (it's important to let one side dry before doing the second side) this afternoon after a lot of tree chopping (see the blog http://ejklr.blogspot.com) in prepa...36/b14e164fce1a40f985eb46e31deda616.jpg[/IMG]

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Woo Hoo James that looks good

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Bram... it's now varnished and detail painted - and I've re-assembled. Sat watching Elly's Stainz (named 'Frank' apparently) haul it around the lounge with her starter set (by repainted into EJ&KLR freight grey) wagon. Oh whilst supping a Hobgoblin and watching a touch of CSI on Five.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Managed to sneak out this morning before packing the LGB up in Chester this morning...
The coach is finished - and I'm really pleased!
fdcd6627352645ab988e251d14aa7b89.jpg

0107651a4c5d4d66bc2c29584355769f.jpg

Here she is with the EJ&KLR flat, and the van that started it all (from Minimans - Paul - back at Christmas!)...
d7bda21eba4e4ce5aee657a21b40a4cf.jpg

All it needs now is an EJ&KLR tank... LGB fans might need to look away when that project starts as I modify a Frank S 0-6-0TT!!!

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thats really does look good, Its really has the feel of a cheap, austerity railway line

and keep the pictures of your repaints coming
Dan

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
WOW! Really looks sharp. (EDIT I think the brown/red window fames set it off better than the factory LGB white on the 3020 cars....)

OK, I really need to get off my hands and do an LGB Postal van in grey. My plans were to do it in a lighter grey and use a low arch roof from the 300mm box vans.

Your photo has made my mind up on the matter!

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Smashing job James. Looks excellent.

Can I ask a couple of questions -
What Country will your line be set in?
Does the decal bottom left say "CAR 256"?