Re:New Area For Coal Powered Trains

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Paul. There are so many people getting into coal firing these days it'll be useful to have a separate bit of the forum to share tips and experiences. There's been a lot of information flying around by e-mail lately and it will be useful to share what I've picked up with a wider audience.
For instance, two people have both suggested I fit an r/c car fuel filter in the water supply to the axle pump on my Sabre Steam "Annette" to stop it getting blocked with fine ash and grit. I'm looking forward to fitting it to see if it solves my problem.
Steve
1ff1d0e02e854b7f9b298bdd5cacf9f3.jpg

John Morgan

Steam Traction
23 Jun 2011
Norfolk
Best answers
Re the in line water filter.
On the 0 6 0 locos there should be enough of a gap to fit without having to cut the brass tube to the water pump. On the 0 4 0 models you may have to cut the brass tube to ease it in. These filters work a treat and stop the ash and grit from entering the boiler. Some owners may find that ash and grit has allready entered the water-ways and have stopped the blower/regulator from working properly by blocking the steam passing thro the copper pipes. Make sure you fit them the correct way round, the arrow on the filter body shows the way the water flows [to the axle pump].

John.

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Grit in the water can cause problems on any coal-fired loco, and this is an interesting solution!
I have seen it get in to the bottom fitting on the axle pump, which then stops the pump from working. If the loco has a hand pump then this can also give a good indication if it becomes harder to pump water by hand.

thumper

Live Steam, Gardening, Golf, Grand Children and Ro
22 Jan 2010
Livonia, Michigan, USA
Best answers
Paul, thanks for starting this sub-forum.

I've got a Sabre Steam Annette - No. 6, and I would like to hear from others regarding operating techniques.

I expect others would also like to know more about their specific locos, SOOOOOOOO, I'd like to ask those who post to identify the loco they own.

Thanks, let's keep it civil and I agree, on point.

Regarding my Annette, I'm in the process of constructing a Roundhouse Fowler tender to house an extra water tank and coal. I plan to use an 8 ounce RC fuel tank as it has a built in filler spout and output line to connect to the existing balancing line on the loco. Since coal fired locos are, by their very nature thirsty, this seems to make sense.

For those who have not already done so, the cross members on the grate should be removed. It improves the ability of the loco to breath and makes it much more docile.

Regards,

Will Lindley

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
Here is a picture of my coal fired John Shawe Roundhouse Jack, in the wee hours, this year at Diamondhead. That's Will in the background, firing his Sabre Steam Annette...
P1060926.JPG

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
thumper said:
I expect others would also like to know more about their specific locos, SOOOOOOOO, I'd like to ask those who post to identify the loco they own.
I own a coal-fired Roundhouse "Jack" with Fowler tender (see my avatar). This has a John Shawe boiler and fittings but was actually put together by myself back in 1998.
Over 30 brand-new John Shawe locos have had paintwork and other finishing in my workshop before despatch to their proud owners, including Tom's "Jack" above. Each one of these has its initial testing here before going back to John for his final testing and certification.
I had an Annette here earlier in the year for lining and other paintwork, but could not get it to run anything like it should. Despite going back to Sabre for repairs it is still not right, according to the owner, so it is coming to me next week to determine if it is just down to lack of experience, in which case training will be given.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Dannysfod said:
Thanks for creating a sub forum specifically designed for coal. I agree it should be kept on topic of coal.
I am currently building a coal fired lady Anne the progress of which was uploaded on the live steam section. This will now be posted in here in future.

I think others should name their engine so we know who's who and who runs what!

Cheers

Daniel
I have a John Shawe British outline Fowler, painted by Tony Wilmore of this Parish :) and modified by myself to improve running pleasure in terms of access and cleaning. A lovely well-balanced locomotive. I also have a DJB Edrig with which I am very pleased ? so much so in fact that I will shortly have a DJB Ragleth... All of these locomotives are or will be fitted with DJB whistles and the Accucraft based ones have automatic draincocks... Very happy indeed with both of these builders and their products.

It is always difficult with coal isn't it because when someone gets a locomotive that does not run properly the brand new coal firer presumes the problem is him. If one follows the instructions properly and perhaps a chat on the phone with the builder, then ? if it don't work then it probably ain't you. Both my locomotives are professionally finished in terms of paintwork and i may suggest that if one is considering coal it is a good idea to ask people that have been doing it for a while before sending off large deposits.

Yours aye

Tag

John Morgan

Steam Traction
23 Jun 2011
Norfolk
Best answers
Will,

How about a photo of the Mods you have made to your grate please ? I have an Annette and would like to see what you have done, no doubt others would as well.

To have a look at my coal fired locos got to YOUTUBE, type in Llanwellyn, and see them running on an indoor layout.

Regards.

John.

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
I suppose this would be a good place to again post the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9o6-36tn90 < Link To link to the video I took, (and of which I am most proud), of Will's inaugural run of his Annette.

It is a good primer on how to use coal to really please a crowd.

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
steamtom1 said:
I suppose this would be a good place to again post the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9o6-36tn90 < Link To link to the video I took, (and of which I am most proud), of Will's inaugural run of his Annette.
Thanks Tom, if only the one I had here back in March had worked as well as that one! A misaligned blast pipe, a leaking water filler valve and a firehole door that jammed open when hot all conspired against that kind of running, hence its return to Sabre for attention. I'm looking forward to having another session with it next week.

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
I actually took a photo of my grates for Andy so the timing of your question is spot on John!
The grate mod certainly made quite a difference and everyone who has done it says the same. My Annette grate is shown alongside the grate from my DJB Edrig conversion for comparative purposes.
Steve
c94488223e8e4e419e3d83e8173ef2e1.jpg

John Morgan

Steam Traction
23 Jun 2011
Norfolk
Best answers
Ash Grate

Steve,

Thanks for the photos, out with the cutting discs in the morning.

John

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
Re:Ash Grate

That's just grate!

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag

Tom. You should be ashamed of yourself. :D

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers

I know. I am. The Devil made me do it.

taperpin

Registered
12 Dec 2009
Best answers

Tom has no shame ,he drinks IPA a real funny beer!

Gordon.

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
Gordon,

I'm on to a new one, brewed right here in Michigan, by the Shorts Brewing Company. It's called http://www.shortsbrewing.com/beer/our-portfolio/annual-beers/huma-lupa-licious/ < Link To Huma Lupa Licious, and it is liquid gold.

Read the forth comment down, on their website.

I'll bring a case to DH next year if you will come. Actually, I'll bring a case even if you don't come, but I'd rather have you come. We'll grab another wheel of blue cheese at the DH Supermarket. I'll spring for the crackers.

scaleandy

Registered
4 Feb 2010
Yarra Valley, Victoria Australia
Best answers
Hi All,

Firstly, thanks for the grate photos Steve, much appreciated. Below are photos of the installation of the Great Planes Fuel filter I fitted not long after receiving my Annabel. Seemed a simple effective solution and it's proved to be just that.

At the end of each run I oil the water pump anyway, so clean the filter at the same time. I simply slide the silicone tubing off the left most end, unscrew the filter and blow clean. I started using the air compressor, but a couple of energetic blows from my gob soon clears any debris. I also fitted some fuel line clamps either end of the filter, to stop the tubing slipping off the filter, but it's not necessary on the left most end which connects to the pump, because there is no real pressure here. The water pump is sucking water here, not blowing.

1fc7818cae1f4742881a05d96b21a5ba.jpg

5038a623d0854cea9183e333f76c07cb.jpg

scaleandy

Registered
4 Feb 2010
Yarra Valley, Victoria Australia
Best answers
Annabel - The grate (or getting the most out of my darling dragon)

I have too have made the modification to my grate, it worked a treat. But I have also cut more out of my Annabel grate than what Steve has, to see how the fire would respond (the remaining front and rear cross beams). It actually proved to be a mistake, too much air got into the fire, cooling it. I've since mounted a brass strip to the vertical rear section of the grate but made it higher than what was there previously (will post a photo soon). It makes sense because on fullsize locos they have baffles that are used to restrict airflow to control the fire, so I have 'closed' the rear baffle.

Next step is to add a front baffle, but dunno if that will work as well because the mounting flange acts as it's own baffle. This leads me to think that there is a flaw in the grate design. Looking at the DJB version confirms this, 6 bars, compared to 5. The penny dropped when I realised that the 6 bar configuration would create more draft. Draft is what causes coal to burn. Reduce draft and you reduce burn, reduce burn and you reduce fire temperature. Reduce temperature and we end up with unburnt bits of coal, clogging the fire, blocking the grate, causing the fire to become sulky, or worse, go out. Now one can poke and prod a fire but this unsettles the hot base and means cranking up the blower and waiting while the fire rebuilds (speaking from experience!). In addition, on fullsize locos the grate bars are these very heavy cast objects, looking at the DJB version the bars are thick iron, possibly these help retain heat, further enhancing the fires efficiency.

I want to be CLEAR here, that I am splitting hairs (not complaining about me grate!!!), I love my Annabel, it runs a treat with session times of 1-2 hours, no problem. My goal is to get the very most I can out of my loco, spilling my thoughts and ideas here is my way to achieve that.

Your thoughts?